MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Windsor Carrier project (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32553)

DomStokes 01-07-21 00:44

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, new member on here.
I've been simply amazed by all of the projects people are posting on this forum, massively inspiring stuff.
And now I'd like to add my own to the list too, although I can't imagine I'll ever be able to match a lot of the workmanship on here!
Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated.
Regards Dom

maple_leaf_eh 01-07-21 05:57

Progress reports

Always happy to follow others' work. Yours looks to be complete and likely a runner. Tell us more. Pictures are welcome. The attach photos dialogues are at the bottom of the posting page.

ajmac 01-07-21 15:21

Good luck, a rare Carrier in any country.

m606paz 01-07-21 17:05

Congratulations! :cheers:

DomStokes 01-07-21 19:25

What have we got here then

5 Attachment(s)
Thank you all.
A few more photos, as you can see she's a way off being a runner.
Although there's a decent amount parts with it, first job is to figure out what I've got exactly. I'm still very new to the world of carriers, but am I right in thinking they would never have had a 21 stud engine? Also is that mk1 uc dash?

Alex van de Wetering 05-07-21 23:13

1 Attachment(s)
Dom,

Welcome. Lovely to see a rare Windsor on the forum. Use the search function and you should be able to find some pictures of Windsors in Holland, may 1945.

Michael R. 06-07-21 02:32

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DomStokes (Post 280213)
Thank you all.
A few more photos, . .
Also is that mk1 uc dash?

Dom: greetings! On behalf of the universal carrier folks here, welcome to MLU Forum.

You asked about your dash.
The Windsor MK-I* dash is similar to the C31UCW NO-2 MK-II* dash, except the ammeter and switchboard. The switchboard looks the same, but is specific to the WC49 series. You can identify it from the part number burned into the back. Don’t be mislead by the images in the Windsor manual.

Here are some dash images for comparison . The C01UC MK-I* dash is the later (3rd) model. Quite distinctive with the engine start push button.

A factory engine in the Windsor MK-I* is a 95hp unit, 24 pin heads. Electrics are 12v.

Tom Millward 07-07-21 22:45

Hello Dom,

Welcome to Carrier ownership! I’m also in Wiltshire and am restoring a Mk1*. A group I’m a part of also owns a 6 Pdr Anti-Tank gun if you ever want to tow a gun with your Windsor. We regularly train on Salisbury Plain, so there’s a chance to use yours as they were intended once you get it running.

Let me know if you need any help with anything, I’m probably only up the road.

Regards,

Tom

DomStokes 08-07-21 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering (Post 280303)
Dom,

Welcome. Lovely to see a rare Windsor on the forum. Use the search function and you should be able to find some pictures of Windsors in Holland, may 1945.

Thank you Alex, that's amazing. It's great to actually see them in theatre.

DomStokes 08-07-21 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael R. (Post 280309)
Dom: greetings! On behalf of the universal carrier folks here, welcome to MLU Forum.

You asked about your dash.
The Windsor MK-I* dash is similar to the C31UCW NO-2 MK-II* dash, except the ammeter and switchboard. The switchboard looks the same, but is specific to the WC49 series. You can identify it from the part number burned into the back. Don’t be mislead by the images in the Windsor manual.

Here are some dash images for comparison . The C01UC MK-I* dash is the later (3rd) model. Quite distinctive with the engine start push button.

A factory engine in the Windsor MK-I* is a 95hp unit, 24 pin heads. Electrics are 12v.

Hi Michael, wow that's brilliant thank you, any information is most welcome.
I don't have any manuals for the windsor carriers, despite trawling the net for them.
If anyone has any copies, or knows where I can get find them? I'd be massively grateful

DomStokes 08-07-21 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Millward (Post 280334)
Hello Dom,

Welcome to Carrier ownership! I’m also in Wiltshire and am restoring a Mk1*. A group I’m a part of also owns a 6 Pdr Anti-Tank gun if you ever want to tow a gun with your Windsor. We regularly train on Salisbury Plain, so there’s a chance to use yours as they were intended once you get it running.

Let me know if you need any help with anything, I’m probably only up the road.

Regards,

Tom

Hello Tom,
Thank you.
Oh wow, I'd definitely like to get involved with that, sounds like great fun. I've a lot to do before I can start thinking about towing anything or even just moving under its own power but I certainly want to get out there and use her when she's done.

That's very kind of you thank you. To be honest it would be nice to have someone who knows what they're looking at cast an eye over it, I'm devizes so nowhere in Wiltshire is very far. And likewise if I can be of any use I'd be happy to help.

Tom Millward 08-07-21 14:31

Hi Dom,

Send me an email at tomillward@hotmail.com. I'm only up the road in Lyneham. I don't know much about Windsors, but I'll happily cast my eye over it and I'm happy to help where I can. I could even drive down in the Jeep and give it a airing.
I think the guys at Cobbaton Combat Collection (http://www.cobbatoncombat.co.uk) in Devon have a very complete Windsor if you need a reference vehicle.

Regards,

Tom

DomStokes 10-07-21 11:00

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Tom,
Thank you, will do.
Great although best pick a day it's not raining if you're going to be travelling in style .

Yes as it happens Colin the chap I bought it from had told me about it. Before I took delivery of mine, I gave them a call, and the guys at Cobbaton combat collection very kindly let me clamber all over their Windsor to take measurements and plenty of reference photos.

I've got the towing bracket machined, just need to get on and weld it all together now.

DomStokes 02-10-21 23:14

Towing brackets

4 Attachment(s)
Knocked up a pair of towing brackets, whilst waiting to get the Windsor in to the workshop.
I think they look the part from a distance.

Grant Bowker 03-10-21 00:51

My knowledge of carriers is very limited - were the three different slots in the brackets to permit setting the hook at different heights to suit different guns?

Ron Pier 03-10-21 07:33

Blimey that must be some strong welding? Good job I didn't do it with my MIG :nono: Ron

David Dunlop 03-10-21 13:34

In Post #6, could that be a ‘CANADA’ Decal immediately aft of the star?

David

DomStokes 03-10-21 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Bowker (Post 282312)
My knowledge of carriers is very limited - were the three different slots in the brackets to permit setting the hook at different heights to suit different guns?

Yes that's right, bottom slot is for the 4.2" mortar, top is for the 6 pounder at gun and I think the centre is for 10cwt trailer, although I could be wrong.

DomStokes 03-10-21 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pier (Post 282314)
Blimey that must be some strong welding? Good job I didn't do it with my MIG :nono: Ron

Well I've towed the carrier from the hitch and I'm pretty confident it's up to the job, fingers crossed it holds!