MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Gun Sight Stowage Box (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12550)

Keith Orpin 08-03-09 18:25

Gun Sight Stowage Box

Guys,
I am trying to suss out the dimensions and construction of the Gun sight Stowage box on/in a LAAT. As far as I can tell it was 11 3/4" wide 2 ft long and 1 ft high, held in place with a strap, above the lockers. Does anyone have any idea as to it's construction, i.e. wood or metal, hinged lid or removable lid ?
Any feedback greatly received
Many Thanks
Keith

Keith Orpin 26-04-09 00:07

2 Attachment(s)
Suss it out guys, see attached image, (and the next one) of the repro gun sight stowage box. Based upon original pictures of one fitted. Knowing the width and length of the box, by scaling other known areas of the rear body, I came up with the height. This allowed me to reproduce this box AND the open topped lockers for the gun crew. I even remembered how to spice rope for the handle. Any one else with an LAAT who wants specific details, please let me know.
Keith

2nd Image
(Ignore all of the other kit on the floor !)

Rob Fast 04-05-09 00:29

Hello Keith...

1 Attachment(s)
I don't really have a lot to add to this thread, I worked from existing welds and came up with a base dimension of 7 1/2 x 24 inches. I am also waiting for the box to suddenly appear at the local flea market. See pics of nice finds: original spare barrell box,box spares, gas boots etc...

Rob Fast 04-05-09 00:30

another pic...

1 Attachment(s)
Where is that spare barrell???

S LATHERON 04-05-09 01:00

Gun sight stowage

hi
I had this bracket in the back of my LAAT, I decided to remove it :bang:
thinking it was an addition by the Bus company fitters [Post war owners] to carry spare batteries, due to the high level of corrosion around its base.
So i need to make a new one.
My LAAT Does have the following
Bracket and Wood block to carry spare gun barrel on outer face of body
The spare wheel carriers 2 off To carry spare gun wheel and spare truck wheel plus some of the clamp parts inside the rear load area. Any one need pics of these please ask and I will try and get pics to you :salute:
Thanks
Stephen

maple_leaf_eh 05-05-09 04:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Fast (Post 113236)
Where is that spare barrel???

That .303 box reminds me of exchanges I had with a blowhard on epay who was flogging a clearly marked postwar British .303 box as 'genuine WWII, hand-carried across the Normandy beaches-issue from his local infantry regiment'.

I tried to tell him it was the wrong year (and the unit was Zombies and never left Canada, and that he was confusing the English and French names of two similar units one of which did land in Normandy but wasn't infantry).

A friend of mine who was a former museum curator at that unit tried to tell.

When Mr. Someone-appraised-it-that-way refused to budge we ratted him to the epay cops.

Oh well, maybe he'll argue with the wrong traffic cop and get shot on the spot for public stupidity!

Keith Orpin 06-05-09 11:30

Thanks for the replies guys.
Rob, Nice collection of gear on board, still looking for several bits for mine. I like the black stencilling on your rear canvas halfdoors. Apart from the large 'C' and LAAT, were there any other markings applied ? (a picture would be good, along with approx sizes)
Steve, you mention a bracket and wooden block on the outside of the body. If it's where I think it is, i.e. behind the cab and on the front face of the rear body, then it's not for carrying a spare gun barrel. The spare gun barrel sits in a long box on the floor of the body, see Rob's picture. The bracket you are referring too are for carrying two wooden poles/levers, used for positioning the gun. I'll take a picture of mine and post it shortly.
Keith

Rob Fast 25-05-09 00:51

LAAT canvas markings...

1 Attachment(s)
I stenciled the same size Broad C Arrow and other numbers as I found on an original 15cwt. G.S. tarp, that being 8 inch and 1 inch. Getting busy on the golf course. Cheers Rob

Keith Orpin 27-05-09 14:00

Thanks Rob for the picture of the stencilling, I'll go for making a stencil after I come back from France.
Keith