MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Wireless Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   19 set frame feet (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32269)

kevin powles 25-04-21 12:49

19 set frame feet

4 Attachment(s)
I have a set of 4 original 19 set feet available, three need a glue repair but rubber on all is still good £80 for the 4.

Chris Suslowicz 25-04-21 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin powles (Post 278439)
I have a set of 4 original 19 set feet available, three need a glue repair but rubber on all is still good £80 for the 4.

April the first was over three weeks ago. (24 days to be exact.)

You can't safely repair those mounts "Shock-absorber, Bridge type" anyway, and trying to is risking a seriously damaged set if you use it in a non-static setup.

Just my 0.02 GBP worth.

Chris.
(David Page was making near-identical replacements from modern stock, but it was a lot of work and he has stopped doing it. I think someone else was doing it more recently. A modern equivalent motor mounting is available that can be cut to the length required. Using ancient (even apparently intact) ones is not sensible.)

kevin powles 29-04-21 22:28

Chris, most people want them to mount there 19 set in there armoured vehicle, weren’t they bonded at this seem point anyway when new?..........ah I think you are wright. I’ll throw them in the dustbin.

No longer available

Chris Suslowicz 29-04-21 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin powles (Post 278489)
Chris, most people want them to mount there 19 set in there armoured vehicle, weren’t they bonded at this seem point anyway when new?

Yes, but vulcanized in place, not glued. I doubt there is any glue available that would provide that level of bond to the surfaces that currently exist.

(Cyanoacrylate will stick rubber to metal but is unfortunately degraded by water!)

Quote:

..........ah I think you are wright. I’ll throw them in the dustbin.
You might want to keep the intact one as a spare (or a pattern).

What causes them to fail is usually the 'peeling' effect where the set in its carrier has been plonked on a flat surface and not bolted down. The rubber is then presented with forces it was not designed to support as the bottom ends are forced apart and eventually separate.

This is almost certainly why they switched to 'Barry' mounts later on.

Chris.

Patrick Johnson 03-05-21 04:32

I am using my original set of shock-absorber feet for authenticity even though I know they can't function as originally intended. I have a set of wood blocks below and within the rails of the 19 set metal carrier which are largely hidden from view, unless you really look hard. The "appearance" is that these shock-absorbers are doing their work but in fact no load is applied to them. So you can glue them back together, and hopefully maintain authenticity to your set-up if that is something you're striving for.
Cheers, Patrick

Mike Kelly 03-05-21 05:05

feet

Back in the early 1980's there was a old surplus radio shop in the back blocks of Richmond, Melbourne, one day I was rummaging through a shelf and I found a box full of NOS WW2 19 set feet . The whole box full was $5 . I gave many of the feet to other collectors, some in the UK , think I have one set left.

The shop had hundreds of NOS in the box 19 set control harness units, the mic/headset with the conical rubber joiner. The rubber joiner was marked: made by NYLEX, 1956. These units were replacements for the worn out WW2 harness units. These NOS units were $2 each. They also had many of the 19 set spares boxes.

Another find in that shop was a box full of NOS B set rubber antenna mounts, again I gave them all way ,to people in the UK and other places. don't have any left.