MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Wireless Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Cable reel & harness (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32542)

derk derin 26-06-21 18:46

Cable reel & harness

5 Attachment(s)
I brought home a harness for a cable spool of signal wire and cleaned it up. Then the search for a cable spool started. My last trip to the surplus yard unveiled 3 of them. Then the restoration of those took place. Just finished the last one yesterday. Today it was time to load the spools with wire. Too hot today but I did it anyway! Looks better with cable wound on them.
Anybody know the history of the use of these? Any photo’s of them being used overseas during the war or were they just used here in Canada? I could not find one image of them anywhere.
I also found a signals brassard. They have an arrow on the back to show it was worn White side up. Anybody know what the brassard represented?
Another piece for the collection done!
Thanks,Derk

derk derin 26-06-21 18:47

3 Attachment(s)
Not sure what the 2 holes in the side of the cable reel plate was for?

derk derin 26-06-21 18:51

1 Attachment(s)
Finally figured out how to load the cable by myself. Tie one end to the fence, go to the other end and start cranking!

rob love 26-06-21 19:30

Or tie a brick to the cable, sit on your deck with a coke and the reeling machine, and wind it in.

David Dunlop 27-06-21 00:22

He would probably do it faster, Rob, if he was reeling in a case of cold beer.

David

Harry Moon 27-06-21 01:16

holes purpose

Quote:

Originally Posted by derk derin (Post 280047)
Not sure what the 2 holes in the side of the cable reel plate was for?

I would think the one toward the centre is for the start of the wire and the outer is for the end of the wire so the curcuit can be completed without unwinding?

Ron Pier 27-06-21 06:42

2 Attachment(s)
Derk, white over blue is always correct for signals. The arm band was usually worn by a Royal Corps of Signals dispatch rider (DR or Don R) Other motorcyclists were classed as just that "Motorcyclist".

The arm band would give a DR absolute priority at any form of traffic control. Ron

derk derin 28-06-21 18:41

Thanks Ron, I’ve always wanted a wartime motorcycle, now I have the excuse to get one!
Cheers,Derk

Ron Pier 28-06-21 19:33

The Canadians used lots of Norton 16H's as well as Harley WLC's. There's an excellent book on WW2 Canadian motorcycles and their riders called "The Winged Wheel Patch" Ron

rob love 28-06-21 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by derk derin (Post 280107)
Thanks Ron, I’ve always wanted a wartime motorcycle, now I have the excuse to get one!
Cheers,Derk

You don't need an excuse to get a WW2 Cdn motorcycle Derk....just lots of cash.

derk derin 29-06-21 01:16

I have cash but it’s to buy a new reliable truck to pull the camper the wife bought last fall.
Now if I could find a wartime motorcycle that would pull a 30 foot camper then my problem would be solved!
Thanks again Ron for the information.
Regards,Derk

David Dunlop 29-06-21 01:34

How about a Kettenkrad, Derk?

David