MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Sold: Rare early Canadian 20-cwt trailer (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29948)

Hanno Spoelstra 23-03-19 17:41

Rare early Canadian 20-cwt trailer

1 Attachment(s)
I am first offering my Canadian 20-cwt for sale here on MLU.

This is a rare Canadian-built 20-cwt trailer and one of only a handful left. It is of early composite construction and (as far as I know) the only survivor which still has the original wood riveted to the steel frame (not bolted as seen on some restorations).

Shortly after WW2, it was supplied by Canada to the Norwegian Army. It was sold as surplus to a military vehicle dealer in the Netherlands in the 1980s. I am the second civilian owner. It has always been stored indoors, first in Army reserve depots and the last 35 years by collectors in the Netherlands. So it remains in as-found, peeling paint condition.

Currently in deep storage which does not lend itself well to photography. Therefore I have attached a photo of approx 15 years ago when I bought it. It is still in the same unrestored condition. You're welcome to come and view it.

I am open to offers. Due to it's rarity, I expect it is at least worth twice the going rate for a Ben Hur trailer. Please contact me via email. I may be interested in a (partial) trade on a Canadian or British 10-cwt trailer.

Thanks for your interest!

Attachment 106177

Bob Carriere 25-03-19 18:22

Trailer...............

Hi Hanno

No I am not asking you to ship it to Canada...... but would if I could afford it.

However, due to its rarity and the fact that I have such a spare frame wheels, springs and all .....would it be possible to document, for all MLU members, the size/dimensions of the box and get as many pictures as possible of the 4 sides and close-ups of the various hardware....fenders spacing, etc.

I realize it is in dry storage right now but whenever you pull it out for the new owner.... who I hope will be a MLU member...... could a photo shoot be possible.

Between Grant skills and determination and my patience I am sure we could do a faithful repro.

Thanks

Bob C

Hanno Spoelstra 26-03-19 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carriere (Post 259410)
However, due to its rarity and the fact that I have such a spare frame wheels, springs and all .....would it be possible to document, for all MLU members, the size/dimensions of the box and get as many pictures as possible of the 4 sides and close-ups of the various hardware....fenders spacing, etc.

I realize it is in dry storage right now but whenever you pull it out for the new owner.... who I hope will be a MLU member...... could a photo shoot be possible.

Hello Bob, will try to document the box as best as I can.

BTW: it can be flat-packed quite easily, so shipping it back home to Canada would not cost a fortune...

Bob Carriere 26-03-19 22:37

Thanks Hanno......

....flat enough for a large envelope??????

Bob C

David Dunlop 27-03-19 00:56

And a very large Mailman?

David

Tony Smith 27-03-19 02:13

Do you have a picture of the IKEA builder's plate?

Hanno Spoelstra 03-04-19 12:16

not kidding about flat-packed trailer

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Smith (Post 259467)
Do you have a picture of the IKEA builder's plate?

All kidding aside, they did come flat packed and with instructions on how to unpack the box and assemble the trailer!
See http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...669#post259669 for a recently unearthed steel bodied trailer which has never been assembled.

Attachment 106407 Attachment 106394

Robert Bergeron 03-04-19 14:20

Hanno , are the troop seats still present in your trailer ? By looking at your reference material i noticed they had troop seats installed in this very nice trailer Cheers . Robert

Hanno Spoelstra 03-04-19 14:55

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron (Post 259677)
Hanno , are the troop seats still present in your trailer ? By looking at your reference material i noticed they had troop seats installed in this very nice trailer

Hello Robert,

If you read the "Function" section in the AEDB, one will note: "This vehicle was designed, primarily, to carry petrol in tins, in two (2) tiers. To this end, a second floor was put into the body, being so designed that it was divided longitudinally, into two (2) halves, each folding back against the upper portion of the side panels and strapped into position, when not in use."

My trailer does not have the second, foldable floor. I have never seen this floor on any surviving examples, and wartime pictures show them in use as General Service trailers exclusively. So I wonder if they were ever actually used to carry petrol tins?

HTH

Attachment 106408

Attachment 106412

Robert Bergeron 03-04-19 19:06

Liberation parade

Thank you Hanno for the very interesting information . Nice picture !

Hanno Spoelstra 26-09-19 07:40

Back to top:

After being busy with the XXX Corps tour, it is time to bring this to your attention again.

I am asking €2,950.- Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks for looking.

Harry Moon 26-09-19 16:31

Folding floor

I can tell by my trailer that it never had the folding floors installed, and the unassembled one that Jeff Davis came across (35 after mine was built) did not even have them in the crate.

Hanno Spoelstra 28-09-19 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Moon (Post 263542)
I can tell by my trailer that it never had the folding floors installed, and the unassembled one that Jeff Davis came across (35 after mine was built) did not even have them in the crate.

Harry, thanks for that observation confirming my thoughts on this subject.

Hanno Spoelstra 28-09-19 14:19

3 Attachment(s)
Three quarter view of 20-cwt trailer - then & now:

Attachment 109278 Attachment 109281

And another archive picture: side view of 20-cwt trailer coupled to CMP 15-cwt 4x4 truck:

Attachment 109277

Andy Mitchell 30-09-19 13:48

Oh if only

Michael R. 30-09-19 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Mitchell (Post 263649)
Oh if only

Think of all the FUDGE you could transport with it . . . ��

Hanno Spoelstra 24-01-21 17:50

Updated pictures

5 Attachment(s)
I made some more detailed pictures of my 20-cwt trailer, as and where it stands in a dry barn. See this album for full size pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GBavpD6m9hLwyMW77

It really only needs a repaint and a brake job. Brakes are Ford 15-cwt for which all the parts are still available - I may have some assorted spares for it. As the Norwegian Army tyres have perished (though they still hold air), I will also supply the trailer with a set of correct 7.00-20 highway tread tyres in serviceable conditon.

Asking €2,950.-

Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Attachment 119421 Attachment 119425

Attachment 119422 Attachment 119423

Attachment 119424

Hanno Spoelstra 11-04-21 19:13

Please see this thread for wartime pictures and more information on the 20-cwt trailer:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9482

Andy Mitchell 12-04-21 12:48

Hanno, stop teasing me with this, you now I cant afford it.

Hope you and yours are all well.

LOL cheers,

Andy

Hanno Spoelstra 12-04-21 16:25

Lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Mitchell (Post 278185)
Hanno, stop teasing me with this, you now I cant afford it.

Hope you and yours are all well.

LOL cheers,

Andy

Cheers Andy, all is well here - hope you are too. I hear the pubs are opening today in the UK? During the lockdown you could have saved that pub money in a jar and sent it over as monthly installments :D

Seriously, I could redo the brakes for you so you can hook it up to the Ford LAAT next time you're over in Holland and tow it home.

Hanno Spoelstra 16-06-21 12:45

Reserved pending payment

MikeV 16-06-21 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 279669)
Reserved pending payment

Nice trailer It would have looked nice behind some of our museum CMP 15 cab's

Hanno Spoelstra 08-07-21 13:24

Back on the market

BTT - buyer proved to be spurious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeV (Post 279674)
Nice trailer It would have looked nice behind some of our museum CMP 15 cab's

Mike, please contact me if you need details. I can ship it anywhere you want.

Thanks,

Hanno Spoelstra 24-02-22 20:00

Trailer is sold: payment received, awaiting transportation.

Hanno Spoelstra 14-05-22 23:13

Detail photos

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carriere (Post 259410)

Hi Bob, see this album https://photos.app.goo.gl/GBavpD6m9hLwyMW77 to which I added the photos I made today. Let me know if you miss some details please let me know as this Monday it’s off to the new owner!

Bob Carriere 15-05-22 17:10

Thanks Hanno.....

All the information all in one place.....

....still not decided if I want to do a wooden box vs a steel box..... a steel box is so much easier to store and take care of.......

Bob C

Hanno Spoelstra 16-05-22 09:53

Wooden box

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carriere (Post 286593)
All the information all in one place.....

....still not decided if I want to do a wooden box vs a steel box..... a steel box is so much easier to store and take care of.......

Just uploaded another 135 photos. Let me know if you need a "voice over" to go with the photos.

BTW, wood is the way to go, if you ask me!

Bob Carriere 16-05-22 21:31

Wood or steel.........

When I moved to Ottawa I was heavily involved in woodworking, basket making by Joyce, wood turning, .....

but I modified my new location to focus on metal working.......

Wood means getting all reorganized to work with wood..... hand tools and power tools........ remembering old skills and tricks...... start collecting wood related items and collecting good wood.......
'
Then you need to plan for a sheltered storage of the trailer partly or fully finished for the rain and snow months......

Other option is to do an original repro using the proper frame and nice air-dried ash boards......... and keep it for show/parades
....and.......

Build a separate all steel trailer using another excellent larger :generator/or compressor trailer frame....... might make it to look "military" but serve as a camping vehicle for remote wilderness camping....

....... any suggestions on how I can live for another 45 years so I can break even with all my projects????

Grant Bowker 16-05-22 23:20

Bob, before you get too carried away with the love of all things metal, consider that you haven't had anyone offer photos of a steel bodied trailer to match the detailed set of photos Hanno has shared of this wood bodied trailer.
For the construction, think about how you would make the corrugated panels and the fan shaped stiffening ribs on the headboard. All I'm saying is that both versions have challenges, just different...

Hanno Spoelstra 18-05-22 18:09

And it’s gone

2 Attachment(s)
My trailer was loaded today. It will be shipped to the USA via the UK to become part of the Wheels of Liberation Collection - see https://www.facebook.com/WheelsofLiberation/

Attachment 128668 Attachment 128669