MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   TAC HQ (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just to let you know... (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14604)

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 20-04-10 16:41

Just to let you know...

I've reset some of the permissions here to try to keep bandwidth (and costs) down.

~ No longer will anyone not registered or logged in be able to download pics; they can view the thumbnails but they can't see the bigger pics. They CAN still view threads and posts, however (for now).

~ No longer can anyone not registered or logged in be able to email anyone on this Forum. The exception is the OMVA Forum, which I allowed because of their separate status.

~ No longer can anyone not registered or logged in use the MLU Search function. This was taking up one hell of a lot of bandwidth. The downside is the search engines will be blocked, but they already have a ton of listings on the Forum anyway.

You'll note that at any given time, approximately 80 to 90 percent of users online here are classed as 'Visitors'; previously, we've been paying for their privileges to do pretty much everything except post. This will no longer continue.

That's all for the moment, gentlemen.

Thanks,

Geoff

cliff 20-04-10 21:26

good work Boss. :cheers:

Bob Carriere 21-04-10 03:23

Good move....

We are moving in the right direction......

On the 3rd point raised by Geoff...... a number of us registered member access on a regular basis the MLU site from work or business computers which are not always friendly to login processes......

For example I can log in on MLU using Joyce's lap top.... or the office....for which I am not set up to log in..... so I pass as a visitor....... so its not a free ride....

However, having said the above.... I fully support the restrictions and will either log in on the other computers or use my own Mawsheen which logs me in automatically.

Good job Geoff.

Bob

zemsi 21-04-10 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carriere (Post 129456)
For example I can log in on MLU using Joyce's lap top.... or the office....for which I am not set up to log in..... so I pass as a visitor....... so its not a free ride....

... that's probably a problem with accepting cookies? Either your work pc or server won't allow cookies?

aj.lec 21-04-10 10:47

I dont know what else you have changed but the upload speed for thumbnails seems to have tripled since i last uploaded pics .A LOT faster :thup:

Ganmain Tony 21-04-10 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carriere (Post 129456)
We are moving in the right direction......

On the 3rd point raised by Geoff...... a number of us registered member access on a regular basis the MLU site from work or business computers which are not always friendly to login processes......

However, having said the above.... I fully support the restrictions and will either log in on the other computers or use my own Mawsheen which logs me in automatically.

Good job Geoff.

Bob

Good to see the Canadian work ethic at the office is alive and well Boob :D

Bob Carriere 22-04-10 03:41

Well Pax Vobiscum to the cookies.....

The truth is I can't remember my pass word.... so I don't bother login in.... on my home computer it is automatically saved so it is easy...

I may actually have to bother asking Geoff what my pass word is so I can enter it from Joyce's laptop and also her own desk top computer...... ain't it awfull when youhave too many toys.....

All in all the changes are for the good of MLU....

BooB