MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Post-war Military Vehicles (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bottom half of an M151A2 windshield? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34220)

maple_leaf_eh 21-06-23 00:44

Bottom half of an M151A2 windshield?

For those who have met me in person, one of my physical features is I am taller than average even for well fed Canadians.

As Dave works along on my M151A2, I remember the posture I must assume to see down the road. Sort of hunched at the shoulders to see under the visor and top of the windshield frame. It gets tiring at the end of a day out. The opportunity is available to construct a riser for the reinstalled windshield with the bottom section of a second frame.

Does anyone in Eastern Canada have a scrapped or not impossibly salvageable M151A2 windshield frame? I have other spares for trading.

maple_leaf_eh 21-06-23 04:10

Maple Leaf Express - anyone passing west to east through Manitoba?

Rob Love mentioned he has a few dozen in Manitoba. Is anyone doing an MLE run west to east this summer?

Robin Craig 21-06-23 13:24

There is a run starting in the next couple of days west to east that I am connected to. Are your ducks in a row ie is it ready to be collected?

rob love 21-06-23 13:25

Not ready at this end. They are sitting at a surplus yard near portagecla prairie.

maple_leaf_eh 21-06-23 15:06

MLE for MLE

Rob, I'll leave the picking and loading to you. Glass would be nice but I am more interested in the condition of the bottom portion where it mounts. BTW, I learned the shatterproof coating on the original glass gets pitted and discoloured if you have grinder sparks hitting it. That and don't sit on a folded windshield. All reasons why I had John Grainger (IltisDriver) cut me a replacement at his auto-glass shop.

My mind's eye sees a 4-6" lift with corresponding hinges and latches. Not a permanent modification, just something for top down driving or road moves. The need is to raise the top edge of the windshield so I am not slouching. That might be OK if I was wearing leathers, arched back, hanging onto the bars of a powerful Harley, but not in an upright M151A2.

rob love 21-06-23 16:05

You will also have to raise the rollcage. And sew extensions on the tarp.

maple_leaf_eh 23-06-23 01:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 293328)
You will also have to raise the rollcage. And sew extensions on the tarp.

Those would introduce more complications that a single removeable riser for the windshield. I am a simple man - as you know.

maple_leaf_eh 24-02-24 19:05

Rob, any chance you'll be near the stock pile of M151A2 windshield frames?

TW

Bob Phillips 25-02-24 14:42

Hi Terry, Any chance you could gain an inch or two by trimming down the height of the seat frame? I think I still have a few kicking around if there is any merit in this suggestion.

maple_leaf_eh 25-02-24 15:45

seat height

Good question Bob

The cushions are about 4" thick and sit on upraised spring wires, sort of back and forth with clips. Some covers are vinyl and some are canvas. There is airspace under the seat which is the comfort zone whenever the seat gets pushed down. The M151A2 also has its advanced back-to-front adjustment!

Besides raising the windshield, two experiments come to mind - yours of lowering the seat bottom itself; and another of changing out the cushion for lower padding but harder.

If you will be coming to the stock pile in the near future and have another frame, we can arrange to meet for a handoff.

rob love 25-02-24 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh (Post 295635)
Rob, any chance you'll be near the stock pile of M151A2 windshield frames?

Likely not until at least April or later. Although it has been a mild winter, it is still winter.

derk derin 26-02-24 16:32

Rob I may be coming to Brandon soon for the nieces band concert. I may be able to stop and pickup a windshield frame if it isn’t buried in snow or frozen to the ground! Let me know if they’re accessible and I’ll let you know if I can stop and pick one up.
Derk

maple_leaf_eh 27-02-24 00:08

Dirk,

that's a generous offer. MLU Express can move almost anything!

Bob Phillips 27-02-24 03:29

Terry, may be up your way very soon. Will check out frames tomorrow and try to touch base with you.

rob love 27-02-24 04:17

Dirk, I would just wait until the snow is off the ground. I suspect any that are standing on the ground will have sunk and rusted. There might be some above the piles. But they have all been out there for 37 years now.

derk derin 27-02-24 18:26

Found out we won’t be going to Brandon until the middle of March. Later than I thought and now that the snowstorm hit us today with cold temperatures would leave those frames frozen in the ground and covered up in snow! Would be an impossible task to recover any of them right now.
Sorry Terry!
Derk

maple_leaf_eh 28-02-24 01:15

Sigh ....

Oh well, you tried.

maple_leaf_eh 28-02-24 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Phillips (Post 295660)
Terry, may be up your way very soon. Will check out frames tomorrow and try to touch base with you.

Hmmm? I can't get away tomorrow. But I remember the layout of the farm. If you leave the seat frame somewhere obvious (and tell the tenants), I may be able to dart out before the end of the week.

Bob Phillips 28-02-24 01:51

Hold yer horses Terry, I may be in Ottawa start of next week but I will let you know.