MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Post-war Military Vehicles (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   M-220 mystery (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19458)

Dano McLaren 22-11-12 06:07

M-220 mystery

3 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased an M-220 out of Camp Borden. It is the only one I have ever seen with a side door. Does anyone have an idea of what it would have been used for?

Ed Storey 22-11-12 11:21

M220cdn

You don't have the shop van but the much rarer signals body. A nice find indeed.

Dano McLaren 24-11-12 18:11

Thanks Ed. I did not know there were two variants. Time to do some digging.

Dano McLaren 24-11-12 18:17

Just fishing but if anyone has any pictures or info, I would appreciate the share.

rob love 24-11-12 18:53

1 Attachment(s)
I recall seeing the extra door version of the vans with the militia sigs squadron at Minto Armouries when I worked there as RSS. The majority of van bodies were removed for use as storage sheds in this neck of the woods, making any version of a van bodied deuce relatively rare. Add to that the uselessness of a 16000 pound camper with only a 12 foot living area, and one can see why any that did escape with their boxes ended up having their boxes removed by their civilian owners and the trucks converted into something else.

Dano McLaren 24-11-12 23:34

Hey Rob, where did that pic come from. I see the cable reel on the back. There are a few mounting brackets back there that I may want to use. Is there a manuel out there somewhere. I will be sending you a PM on the other things we were talking about.

rob love 25-11-12 01:21

The drawing is from the Cdn Army Cat of Ordnance Stores Generic Listing of Vehicles dated July of 1960.

Dano McLaren 28-11-12 06:08

Rob, does the book give a different designation other than M-220?

rob love 28-11-12 07:37

Census number 2989, ECC 124801, Truck, Van, 2-1/2 ton w/e, (Signals).

You will almost always find the old census numbers painted on the front bumper, although it may be under several layers of paint. The census numbers were replaced by the new ECC (Equipment Configuration Code) numbers sometime in the early 60s. You should also find the old census number on an aluminum plate just above the glove box.

Dano McLaren 28-11-12 19:03

Thanks Rob

Duane Leiker 10-12-12 04:47

Rob,
I've seen expensive RV's with less than 12' living space that you can't stand up in utilized great for a weekender.

Deuces aren't great (handling, fuel, ride comfort,etc.) but, for a weekender that can literally take you places RV's don't tread, they can't be beat.

I've seen a deuce expanding van body model turned into an off road camper that was fantastic. It was professionally done and cheaper than the going rate for a non off road RV.

Some like'em, some don't. My 2 cents.

rob love 10-12-12 04:59

Duane

Having spent many months at a time driving, working, and living out of a M35 MLVW, I am quite familiar with the mobility and comforts that can be afforded by them. I think the sheer weight and fuel consumption are what kills the novelty of using them for RVs on civvy street. As I said earlier, I have seen very very few examples with their van bodies still on them here in Canada. Plus, we did not have the expanding shelters (civilian equivalent would be the pop-out living room I guess). Your mileage may vary.

Cheers

Rob

super dave 11-12-12 20:06

1 Attachment(s)
My neighbor has one with the shelter on it.