MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1944 C-15A-Wire-5 Restoration (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21831)

RichCam 17-03-14 18:42

1944 C-15A-Wire-5 Restoration

5 Attachment(s)
I thought that I would provide some information and pictures regarding our restoration of a 1944 Cab 13 C-15A Wire 5. I purchased the truck separately from the radio box, 2 years ago. Original pictures, as purchased, from the previous owner and moving it to my company, Commercial Pallet.

RichCam 17-03-14 18:49

Radio Box for C-15A Wire 5

5 Attachment(s)
The aluminum radio box for the C-15A Wire 5 was discovered in a scrap yard, north of Huntsville. It was mounted on a single axle trailer and had be used as a dog house. Owner of the scrap yard thought it was a mobile jail. I retrieved it and brought it back to Commercial Pallet to add to the C-15A.

RichCam 17-03-14 19:23

Restoration work on the C-15A

5 Attachment(s)
Starting last fall, I began looking for components to complete the C-15A. In order to keep the project moving forward, I was able to hire a friend, part time, to put in about 20 hours per week. The Chev C-15A fork lift has a number of missing cab components that can be donated. We are going to keep the Buick 250ci 6 cylinder in the truck for the time being. The ball mount hitch and bumper was removed and replaced with an authentic pintle hitch. Front grill guard, Chev emblem, tow hooks and additional fuel tank have been added. Seat covers, rear window and dash components, wired for 12V negative ground, are progressing.

RichCam 17-03-14 19:29

Radio Box blasting

4 Attachment(s)
The radio box was removed from the trailer axle. It was then taken for soda blasting of the exterior and interior. A white primer was applied to prevent rusting. A complete #19 radio set, with chore horse generator and power management system, has been acquired by the new owner of the Wire 5. We will finish the truck first, getting it road worthy and then we will add the radio box. Refurbishment of the wood liner, painting and installation of radio gear will follow.

Robert Bergeron 18-03-14 04:00

Wire 5 restoration

Rich,

That is one fine looking restoration in progress my friend !

Good luck and fair winds .

:thup:

Robert

RichCam 16-07-14 03:50

Wire 5 Component Painting

2 Attachment(s)
It has been a while since my last update. I was able to prime and paint the front bumper rad guard and the fuel tanks. The tanks have been mounted and the the engine tested. After some adjustments to the distributor cap position, we were able to eliminate the "backfire" and it nows runs like a top.

RichCam 16-07-14 04:05

Wire 5 Transmission & Brake Work

5 Attachment(s)
So, with the more recent 6 cylinder 250 running like a top, we discovered that it was "frozen" in first gear. The only way to run the engine was with the clutch in. After jacking and blocking the complete chassis, we confirmed first gear only capability. Unfortunately, we could not properly access the upper transmission case cover without lifting the cab completely off of the frame. We needed to do that anyways so it was now or later. After removing the shifter, removing the cover bolts, we discovered that the transmission was stored without fluid in it. The shift shafts had corroded slightly and the shift forks were locked in position. After some gentle persuasion and lot's of M16, my father and Jim were able to free the forks and lift off the case cover. We will now clean everything inside and begin re-assembly.
As well, all four tires were removed, rims pulled and brake pads including emergency brake activation, brake cylinders were inspected. Everything looks great except for the emergency brake cables. They have been sent out to be rebuilt.

lssah2025 16-07-14 10:28

Looking good..

Jon Skagfeld 16-07-14 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichCam (Post 193109)
The radio box was removed from the trailer axle. It was then taken for soda blasting of the exterior and interior. A white primer was applied to prevent rusting. A complete #19 radio set, with chore horse generator and power management system, has been acquired by the new owner of the Wire 5. We will finish the truck first, getting it road worthy and then we will add the radio box. Refurbishment of the wood liner, painting and installation of radio gear will follow.

Hehehe!

Background in these pics is very familiar! :devil:

RichCam 18-07-14 00:41

Seats and Doors for the Wire 5

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys for the comments. At least, we are not digging through the snowbanks to find stuff now.
Front and rear brakes passed inspection today, I'm having new emergency brake cables fabricated. Hopefully, we will get them next week.
Seat covers arrived and they fit very well. Seat frames and sliders have been blasted, primed and painted.
Doors, side curtains, front windows including accessories and wipers are going to be taken off the C-60L forklift, blasted, primed and painted along with the cab. Re-assembly should begin during the first week of August.
Yeah, the grader tires from the C-60L are going to go on the F-60S Dumper. Can't wait to see that!

RichCam 15-08-14 03:10

Running C-15A Wire 5 Chassis

4 Attachment(s)
Guys,

Good news today! Re-assembled emergency brake, tires and rims onto the axles, tested the transmission, bled the brakes, adjusted the carburetor, charged the battery and voila - ignition! Drove the C-15A chassis out of the shop and around the yard. Only in 1st, radiator was a bit wobbly and I wasn't too comfortable in the bolt on tractor seat BUT is sounded SWEET! Jim blew out any remaining crap from the cracks and crevices. Then power washed the whole shooting match! Back into the shop at the end of the day under it's own power. A little touch up black on the frame and it is ready and waiting for the cab, doors, windows and dash. I should have a new update in 2 weeks!

Chow!

RichCam 23-09-14 16:01

Olive Drab Painting Cab 13

4 Attachment(s)
Here is a quick update on the Wire 5 project. Last week, I was able to paint the Wire 5 C-15A Cab. Here are some before and after pictures. This week, we hope to mount it on the chassis.

Bob Carriere 23-09-14 23:20

Looking good....

What paint brand / color are you using....?

Cheers

RichCam 24-09-14 14:27

Wire 5 Exterior Paint

Hello Bob,

We are doing both the Cab and Radio Box in Flat Olive Drab 595-34087. We are going to decal the vehicle for Holland, Spring of 1945 as a C-15A, Cab13, Wire-5.
Detailed decal research comes via Jon Skagfeld:
Sherbrooke Fusiliers - Red Square with White 53 superimposed. Formation sign - horizontal square - divided in 3rds - Blue, Black, Blue superimposed with Gold maple leaf.
From the rear - unit sign on the left, formation sign on the right. I'm adopting the "opposite corner" rule for the front of the vehicle.
Yellow circle with bridge limit 5 on front.
Will copy and slightly modify White vehicle ID number from a Wire 5 in a previous thread.

Comments or questions welcome!
Regards, Richard.

Bob Carriere 24-09-14 17:08

Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product with all the markings.

I am also using the same shade of OD.

Cheers

Alex van de Wetering 24-09-14 20:48

Looking good Richard.

Quote:

We are going to decal the vehicle for Holland, Spring of 1945 as a C-15A, Cab13, Wire-5.
Are you still planning to come over to Holland, next year?

Alex

Robert Bergeron 25-09-14 04:27

Chev C-15A Wire 5

Great job Richard,

I see the box all primed up in white in the background begging to hop a ride on the back of the Chevy !

RichCam 25-09-14 15:11

Alex,

My mom and her sister would like to retrace their father's deployment in Holland just before your May 5th celebrations. If I'm lucky, I'd like to ship over a Mk1 carrier, in his honour. He served with the Lincoln and Welland Regiment. Inside the carrier, I'd bring over as many Cab 12 parts as I could reasonably fit - if it will help out with your project.

I will email you shortly.

Robert - yes, the Radio Box will be painted and mounted as soon as I get the cab/chassis certified. I can't wait to take it through the Tim Horton's drive thru!

Alex van de Wetering 25-09-14 22:25

Richard,

Now that the Market Garden remembrance is behind us, I am sure people will start thinking about the events for next year and more info will follow soon. It would be awesome to retrace your grandfathers steps with a carrier, but I am sure the Wire 5 would also do nicely;)

I am still very much interested in cab 11/12 parts, although I have to admit that in the meantime I did find some of the parts that we spoke about.

Alex

RichCam 30-11-14 13:07

Wire 5 Cab Refurbishment

5 Attachment(s)
Work is continuing to proceed on the Wire 5 restoration. Unfortunately, some of the smaller component work is tedious and can't be rushed. It is frustrating but not unexpected to have the smaller fasteners and components to be rusted and frozen in place. It is impossible to heat with a torch and put an air ratchet to them so the cab windows, side curtains and doors are taking longer than expected.
Front windows are now in with new glass. I cut a spare set for anyone that is interested. Side curtains have been rebuilt with new Lexan panels and door handle portals. Seats have been installed along with round upper hatch hip padding.
We are painting the doors this week and working on the dash. With the newer 250 engine, I have a 12V temperature and oil pressure gauge to contend with. The dash is circular gauge like the later Fords.
More updates soon, feel free to comment.

Robert Bergeron 01-12-14 18:59

Wire-5 resto

Going well there Richard !!

Nice shop.

Robert

RichCam 13-12-14 16:52

Wire 5 Cab Assembly

5 Attachment(s)
Robert - it is nice to work inside a warm shop with a concrete floor and almost all of the correct tools!
This week, Jim and I got the doors on, side curtains in and doghouse installed. Jim also finished the nose so it is ready to be installed as soon as I finish the IP wiring. Hopefully, I will have more pictures to post next Saturday.
Christmas Cheers!

Jordan Baker 13-12-14 20:48

Looks like great progress is being made. I wish my shop had some heat to work on the truck during the cold parts of the year.

One question, is that a home made dog house for truck? I have never seen one like it.

RichCam 14-12-14 00:23

Home made Dog House

Hi Jordan,

It is nice to have everything warm and well light. I can't seem to ever get enough light - those new LED battery lights are great!

Yes, that is a home made doghouse. It came with the truck when I purchased it and it fits over the 250 just fine. I might have to make a cover plate for the dash above the doghouse. Other than the engine, transmission and the doghouse, we are trying to keep everything else authentic.

Cheers, Richard

Robert Bergeron 21-12-14 14:22

Wire 5

Richard,

Having run my 1942 Ford F-15A -GS for nearly 1000 KM i can now state that authenticity has it's limits.

I have the original engine and transmission and it sure has it's performance limits !

I have been traveling to events, reconstitutions and meets in Québec city. That is 100 KM away.

You never go anywere fast with the stock engine. Also , the gas consumption is horrendous, over 42 L / 100 km..

So, unless it's for museum, or as in many instances , as a garage or trailer queen , i would go the same route as Richard. This is in no way a judgment of other people's choices.

I have both styles of trucks , original stock engines and modern replacements.They both have advantages over the other.

In my view what's important is that they are seen by the public. I wish to educate, promote and popularize our military history through the parading of CMP and other period trucks , not win contests.

I respect those who participate in contests. They set the mark for the rest of us .

In all due respect.

Robert

Bob Carriere 21-12-14 23:57

But gasoline is cheap now...

Hi Robert

6 miles to the gallon ....... that is a lot unless you had the brakes on.

What was your speed?? and what is the max, it will do?

How comfortable or painful was it on the highway for over an hour...?

The big problem is not necessarily the original flat head V8 but the gearing in the axles. You could change for a more modern engine/tranny combo but it would take a lot of work to fit it inside the tight compartment of the CMP.... and you would still have the axle gearing issue.

I wonder what kind of mileage Richard will get with his GM 250 6 cyl.

I have a Chev 261 in mine but have not driven it enough to assess the fuel consumption.... I am hoping for 10mpg at approx 40 mph.

Gerry Boucher and a few others in the Montreal area should have some experiences to share......

Bob C.

maple_leaf_eh 23-12-14 03:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichCam (Post 200399)
Hello Bob,

We are doing both the Cab and Radio Box in Flat Olive Drab 595-34087. We are going to decal the vehicle for Holland, Spring of 1945 as a C-15A, Cab13, Wire-5.

Detailed decal research comes via Jon Skagfeld:

Sherbrooke Fusiliers - Red Square with White 53 superimposed. Formation sign - horizontal square - divided in 3rds - Blue, Black, Blue superimposed with Gold maple leaf.

From the rear - unit sign on the left, formation sign on the right. I'm adopting the "opposite corner" rule for the front of the vehicle.
Yellow circle with bridge limit 5 on front.
Will copy and slightly modify White vehicle ID number from a Wire 5 in a previous thread.

Comments or questions welcome!
Regards, Richard.

Here is a suggestion and a date to work towards. The successor of the Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment (ahem, not Fusiliers) is the Sherbrooke Hussars. Their 150th anniversary year is 2016. I haven't heard what the plans are for parades and functions, but guaranteed, there will be functions.

Robert Bergeron 23-12-14 13:40

Cmp

I don't want to distract and highjack Rich's thread so i will be short:

Hi Bob, i get 45-50 mph on flat hard roads at max rpm. It is not a comfortable ride because of the suspension.I have added about 250-300 lbs of sandbags in the back to help cushion the ride with moderate success. Those men of WW2 were sure tough !

Hey Terry, thanks for the heads-up. I should be there with either the Wire 5 , maybe a Carrier or a GPW in period colours and markings.

RichCam 01-02-15 23:38

Back to the Restoration - Wire 5 Update!

5 Attachment(s)
Hi, it has been a while since my last update but we have been hard at work on the details of this Wire 5 restoration. Jim now has installed the left and right side view mirrors, rifle butt blocks, restored to full functionality both vacuum wiper motors and wipers and has hand polished the steering wheel. I'm about 30% through installing instruments, dash lights at 12V and wiring everything together to the terminal blocks so I can get the IP installed. Then, the nose cone goes on and the truck should be set! Check out the pics!
Cheers - Richard.

RichCam 01-02-15 23:50

Radio Box Restoration

5 Attachment(s)
We have the box up on blocks which makes it a lot easier to safely access the underside as well as the topside. We have removed the upper ventilators and after 70 of sitting outside, I was surprised that the electric fan motor still worked. Ok, $200 later at the local german electricmotorgeshallshaft shop, it was fully operational. Jim and Steve have repaired the pin hole rust perforations in the wheel wells, including the spare tire holder and they have removed all of the windows. I am getting the roof access ladder rebuilt and we are removing, cleaning and rebuilding all window and door latches. Perforations of the outer box are being replaced with aluminum panels and slotted self drive screws. As authentic as some of the other original patches we hope!
I need help finding a metal roll form to replace the metal window enclosures. The window rubber seals are easy enough to get, the latches are salvageable but the lower steel roll forms have rotted away. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance - Richard.