MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   disposals adverts (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27908)

Mike Kelly 13-09-17 04:49

disposals adverts

5 Attachment(s)
Interesting adverts in the 1946 newspapers around Australia

rob love 13-09-17 04:52

Twenty nine miles per gallon in a Jeep? That road test must have been all downhill.

Mike Kelly 13-09-17 05:16

rabaul

2 Attachment(s)
Rabaul sale with jap tanker !

Mike Kelly 13-09-17 07:08

wind

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 242428)
Twenty nine miles per gallon in a Jeep? That road test must have been all downhill.

And the gearbox in neutral and a spinnaker helping as well.

The Jeeps were offered at a " pegged price " of 225 pounds . Was this price control a requirement of the disposals commission in order to control the sales to the public ?

Lang 13-09-17 10:51

Mike

All dealer vehicles were given a "pegged" price up until the late 40's.

This was an attempt to prevent price gauging in a market with shortage of supply and high demand.

Of course a huge black market existed and many of Australia's most famous car dealers made their fortune during this period. They quite openly advertised cars at their set price but you had little chance of getting it unless you arrived with a brown paper bag!

Private owners/sellers were much less restricted.

Lang

Mike Kelly 13-09-17 12:26

prices

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lang (Post 242436)
Mike

All dealer vehicles were given a "pegged" price up until the late 40's.

This was an attempt to prevent price gauging in a market with shortage of supply and high demand.

Of course a huge black market existed and many of Australia's most famous car dealers made their fortune during this period. They quite openly advertised cars at their set price but you had little chance of getting it unless you arrived with a brown paper bag!

Private owners/sellers were much less restricted.

Lang

I will have a look at the 1946-48 classifieds and see what prices people ( not dealers ) were asking for Jeeps. Should be interesting !

The early disposal Jeeps , you would have a better chance of getting a Jeep in unmolested condition. With the later disposal sales in the late 50's and early 60's , by then most of the WW2 Jeeps would have been through a major rebuild in army workshops, with engine , chassis swaps etc.

One Jeep wreck I had , the Jeep was a faded blue/grey with "RAAF" and the RAAF reg number on the bonnet ( still have the number somewhere if anyone's interested. ) Post war use in the RAAF .

A 1941 Willys slat grill I purchased in Albury in 1976 , DOD 31st Dec. 41 . This Jeep had a white US star and USA reg blue number on the bonnet under many layers of green . Must have been transferd over the the Aust. army / who knows ?

Lang 13-09-17 12:59

Mike

There is a whole string of similar stories in papers around Australia in 1946.

You can see the people are paying double the fixed price.

In most of these stories the buyers are fully aware of the fixed price (readily available for every car under 10 years old) but pretend to be duped by the dealer and report him hoping to get half their money back.

This was one of the reasons the scheme stopped quickly because of the scammers (reverse to normal because the buyer is the scammer). They get a rare car delivered immediately instead of waiting months by paying the black market rate then stab the dealer in the back.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/ar...eTo=1946-12-31

Lang

Mike Kelly 13-09-17 14:06

dealers

Most of that black market dealing would have been city based . In a rural community, like those smaller regional towns in the Jeep adverts , if a car dealer was taking under the counter payments, he would have been found out and suffer the bad feelings of the local population. Gossip and jealousy abounds in small towns , I know this from experience . " Hey so you got a Jeep from so and so , paid more than the pegged price " before you know it everybody in the town knows what went on . Local car dealer is in the sh*t .

Lang 13-09-17 22:47

Mike

I think you will find the black market existed everywhere.

The pegged price was so far from the supply and demand forces that everyone accepted they were going to pay more.

Lang

Mike Kelly 14-09-17 03:45

entertainment

Lang, at least we are providing some entertainment for the masses of readers here on MLU :thup2:

The trove site is down ATM

Mike Kelly 14-09-17 04:06

Dodge

5 Attachment(s)
Dodge advert and White scout cars

Mike Kelly 14-09-17 04:28

strickland carrier

1 Attachment(s)
carrier.......................

Tony Smith 14-09-17 07:57

4x4 Utility Trucks
Aberline's Garage
West Wyalong
Ph: No 1

I'll have to write that number down in case I forget it! :confused

Mike Kelly 15-09-17 05:19

Harley

5 Attachment(s)
Harley bikes

Mike Kelly 15-09-17 05:41

bsa

5 Attachment(s)
bsa................................

Richard Coutts-Smith 15-09-17 10:13

Often heard of the bargain prices post war, but an inflation calendar shows the advertised price of 225 Aus.Pounds being equal to $15 300 in today's money. Still the going price for many of those Jeeps, not to mention close proximity to the current sell off price of Land Rovers.
Rich.

Mike Kelly 15-09-17 10:31

Land Rover

The Land Rover appeared on the scene in 1948 and Australia became the major export destination, around 10,000 were sold in Australia up to 1953, they could not get enough of them . I guess land owners would prefer to buy new, rather than a half worn out WW2 Jeep .

Nowadays early Aust. delivered Land Rovers are being repatriated back to the UK where they bring very high prices , the chassis' are not rotted out for a start . The series 1 club in the UK were re-manufacturing new chassis but the current holder of the Land Rover registered business name put a stop to that little enterprise.

Each state had its own agents where the CKD packs were assembled and the experts can tell where a particular LR was assembled because some local sourced fasteners were fitted , the fasteners varied in each state . A few came out already assembled. The Grenville motors NSW records still exist and its possible to track down where certain survivors were dispatched to, ie properties all over NSW . The Snowy Mountains Authority purchased many.

The RAN was a user of early series 1 Land Rovers , a fleet of around 80 I think , The New Zealand army also .

Mike Kelly 16-09-17 02:53

tyres

2 Attachment(s)
tyres........................

Ryan 18-09-17 04:53

Great ads Mike. That Rabaul sale would have been very interesting to see.

Mike Kelly 18-09-17 05:08

catalogue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 242701)
Great ads Mike. That Rabaul sale would have been very interesting to see.

Yes. I know somebody who has one of the catalogues for a sale in the SWPA , can't remember which Island it was . The sale organisers laid on a ship for the prospective buyers to travel up there and inspect the junk !

Mike Kelly 20-09-17 04:12

5 Attachment(s)
this one is Oct. 45 , an early release. Ford ad is March 45 ..so early

H & J were also selling jeeps , a little brass tag was fixed, one of the Dodge WC21's I had , had a H&J tag on the cowl

Stanley ad is Feb 45

Albany is March 45

Mike Kelly 20-09-17 04:33

Marmon

1 Attachment(s)
Marmon - Herrington April 45

Keith Webb 20-09-17 23:23

Love all the old ads

But it's odd I've never come across any photos of dealer's showrooms with CMPs photographed, other than some outside images of the tipper and the ad with the long wheelbase CMP with dual rear tyres.
You'd think those photos must have been taken - perhaps still in someone's dusty archive or long forgotten album.

Ken Smith 21-09-17 11:58

I thought there was a photo of a CMP Ford in Eclipse Motors showroom in Norm Darwin's History of Ford book.
Ken

Mike Kelly 23-09-17 03:09

Marmons

4 Attachment(s)
Getting closer Morwell |! And Hobart

Mike Kelly 23-09-17 03:19

Blitz

1 Attachment(s)
Early use of "Blitz Buggy'' 1945