MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Gun Park (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Australian 2 pounder Anti Tank Gun (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29058)

Wayne Henderson 25-06-18 12:10

Australian 2 pounder Anti Tank Gun

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,
Does anyone know when and who made the round axle for the 2 pounder?
I think/guess it was a cost thing similar to the Mk3 25 pounder trails being welded instead of riveted.

Also what is the doover hanging off the bottom of the shield?
It appears on some guns but not many?

I have included a photo that I found on the web somewhere, thanks.

tankbarrell 25-06-18 18:26

When you say ''doover hanging off the bottom of the shield'', do you mean the plate with the short tube projecting forward? That is the stowage bracket for the two man handles that fit each end of the Mk 2 handspikes.

rnixartillery 25-06-18 23:18

My 2pdr with attachments fitted.

Rob...………..rnixartillery.

Wayne Henderson 26-06-18 07:40

doover

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for the identification.
Doover is an Australian technical word for an item that the name or use of is unknown.
Hand spike holder, great, more bits to find. :doh:

Thanks for the photo Rob, nothing about this item in the parts manual I have.
I know where the hand spike is stowed along the trail but where are these others stowed?

Wayne Henderson 30-07-18 13:02

axle

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the round axle variant, with drag rope swivels and a catch to stiffen up the suspension. Any manual or parts books info on this axle?

Also a photo I found of a gun with side shields fitted, markings threw me as did a couple of other odd bits and pieces. Got the 8 Div Emu bit.

Wayne Henderson 21-08-18 15:12

axletree

1 Attachment(s)
I found some information on the round axle from a 1938 British War Office Handbook, Marks IX and X
The early round axle is stamped with part numbers on all items and is identical to the British variant. The detachable stub axles are also the same.
The difference is the wheel hubs, rims, tyre size and the fitting of hub caps.
The wheel nuts have GMH stamps and numbers.
The wheel bearings are going to be replaced because they have Ford script markings ;)

Replaced the brass bushes in the springs and cleaned up the stub axles.

Got a metal spinner to make me a new turntable base cover.

Wayne Henderson 04-09-18 09:03

wheels on

1 Attachment(s)
Finished the axletree and hubs, now starting to rivet the tinware back on.
Now buying some real odd taps for BSF threads from the local second hand tool shop.
Tyres purchased from Fennell Tyres here in Perth, tried an antique tyre mob here and they are worse than useless.

The turntable bearings took a bit of work but now the platform rotates freely as it should. Very happy...