MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Useful things, blitzes (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12833)

Keith Webb 10-05-09 09:13

Useful things, blitzes

1 Attachment(s)
I know, this is silly but I sometimes get a chuckle when the media use one of their favourite terms. Link

Tony Smith 10-05-09 16:18

Useful things, blitzes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 113600)
...I sometimes get a chuckle when the media use one of their favourite terms...

Some of the beauties I've seen include:

"Speeding Blitz this Easter Long Weekend." (How fast did it go?)
"Jockeys, Trainers stung in racing industry Blitz." (Was there a spider under the seat?)
"ATO promises Blitz on GST rorts." (Could I have one, too?)

And my all-time favourite is:

"Illegal Aliens netted in Sex-worker Blitz." :eek:(Where's the photos of THAT!)

Keith Webb 10-05-09 21:01

Great examples Tony

Perhaps we can use this thread to post examples of this as they occur.

According to the newspapers the police have many speeding blitzes too but I've never seen one.

Is this word similarly misused outside Australia?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Smith (Post 113625)
Some of the beauties I've seen include:

"Speeding Blitz this Easter Long Weekend." (How fast did it go?)
"Jockeys, Trainers stung in racing industry Blitz." (Was there a spider under the seat?)
"ATO promises Blitz on GST rorts." (Could I have one, too?)

And my all-time favourite is:

"Illegal Aliens netted in Sex-worker Blitz." :eek:(Where's the photos of THAT!)

colin jones 10-05-09 23:43

Well, don't forget about the good old back yard blitz. Maybe not everyones ideal garden.

hrpearce 11-05-09 00:49

1 Attachment(s)
I hve a backyard blitz :D although Vicki would prefer I put "all that junk" in another shed out of sight :bang:
Also just type blitz into ebay search an you get motor bikes, clothing, turbo gear and video games and hardly any genuion BLITZ gear :whinge :( :giveup

Mike Kelly 11-05-09 03:59

Blitz

Keith,

You are confusing our O/S friends no end :blink::blink:.

Yes , the back yard blitz ..we all have them .

For the uninformed ..there is a local TV show here titled BACK YARD BLITZ. A team of people turn up at somebodies residence, unannounced. The victim is usually a 'down and out' hard luck story person . They spend a whole day renovating the back yard , garden or whatever. In my time , I've seen a few back yard catastrophes , usually it is a single male with a MV collection.

Keith Webb 11-05-09 04:16

The backyard variety

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly (Post 113648)
Keith,

You are confusing our O/S friends no end :blink::blink:.

Yes , the back yard blitz ..we all have them .

For the uninformed ..there is a local TV show here titled BACK YARD BLITZ. A team of people turn up at somebodies residence, unannounced. The victim is usually a 'down and out' hard luck story person . They spend a whole day renovating the back yard , garden or whatever. In my time , I've seen a few back yard catastrophes , usually it is a single male with a MV collection.

Having watched some episodes over the years I often wonder how some of these transformations look after 5 or so years, when a lot of it is little better than set building.

Back to the subject at hand:

Willanthry 11-05-09 14:02

I'll tell you what though, i'd love to see the "Ballroom Blitz"...

sapper740 11-05-09 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willanthry (Post 113676)
I'll tell you what though, i'd love to see the "Ballroom Blitz"...

I was just Googling "Ballroom Blitz" to see who wrote it when I saw your post. Great minds think alike!

P.S. It was first sung by the Glam-rock band "The Sweet" in 1973

:cheers:Derek

sapper740 11-05-09 16:43

Best place to see a Blitz...

...is any North American Football game. :cheers:Derek

hrpearce 01-06-09 10:17

The Wagga Police caught a number of drivers over the limit on the weekend when they had a blitz, acording to the radio this morning :cheers: :drunk: :drunk:

hrpearce 02-06-09 00:52

Two mornings in a row

this mornings headline; local retailers targeted in a blitz on illegaly imported rice. :kangaroo :kangaroo :kangaroo

Bob McNeill 02-06-09 11:11

blitz

see, driving a blitz get you noticed, you get nabbed in a blitz every time.

hrpearce 17-06-09 22:31

Latest BLITZ

Wagga highway patrol are conducting a two month BLITZ to raise money to make the payments on the new police station. They are making most of the money pinging driers who change lanes while in rounderbouts or who are not signiling properly in rounderbouts. Three motorbike cops were on the news last night having the time of their lives chasin cars in rounderbouts so be careful in pearson sreet Howard the government needs our money to balance the new budget. :no4:

Keith Webb 17-06-09 22:40

Wagga cops

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpearce (Post 115412)
Wagga highway patrol are conducting a two month BLITZ to raise money to make the payments on the new police station. They are making most of the money pinging driers who change lanes while in rounderbouts or who are not signiling properly in rounderbouts. Three motorbike cops were on the news last night having the time of their lives chasin cars in rounderbouts so be careful in pearson sreet Howard the government needs our money to balance the new budget. :no4:

They'd be better doing something about the sometimes feral nightlife in the centre of town. I know because I spent an evening there recently. There was one particular bunch of denizens who all sounded like they had Tourette's syndrome.

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 17-06-09 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 115413)
They'd be better doing something about the sometimes feral nightlife in the centre of town. I know because I spent an evening there recently. There was one particular bunch of denizens who all sounded like they had Tourette's syndrome.

We have a bunch around here like that too - the 'Kent Street Gang'. They're a group of school-aged 'denizens' from the next street over who like to do silly things with other peoples' property and make a lot of noise in the process to impress their various female hangers-on. It's easy as hell to intimidate them, though... I play the bad cop (I reckon my haircut and Clint Eastwood stare helps) and Sally plays the good cop (they wouldn't mess with her even if they wanted to, because they know she could beat the crap out of any of them).

They pretty much leave us alone. :D

Damned shame this city has come to this, though... it wasn't this way when I grew up. Time to move... :mad:

hrpearce 17-06-09 23:05

Unfortuately that is an ongoing problem and makes the news regarly there has been a lot of talk about the merrits of CCTV but little action in that direction. It got tht bad at one stage the police made a plea on the news for girls to wear nickers as they were sck of the sight of them lying sick on the curb with no self respect or decency. One uni studient I knew who lived in an apartment above a main street shop used to use the red dot of a laser levil to frighten them on so he could get some sleep. That only worked if they wern't in a complete stuper. :bang:

Howard 18-06-09 12:20

Money

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpearce (Post 115412)
... be careful in pearson sreet Howard the government needs our money to balance the new budget. :no4:

Oh, They have their fare share of my money... Don't worry about that! :bang:

Howard 18-06-09 12:23

SOlutions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 115413)

The local command have been combating street violence & anti-social behaviour in Wagga Wagga for years by comitting more & more resources into highway patrol, round-a-bout cops, etc. It is working realy well as Keefy experienced. I am sure that the local cops are happy with meeting their financial budgets, though. :nono: :nono: :nono: