MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   new carrier arrives home (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16854)

Lew Skelton 11-07-11 10:35

new carrier arrives home

4 Attachment(s)
Hi, new addition arrived home a couple of weeks back, wife has cooled down enough to let me near the computer ( she was a bit frightened I might find another carrier, parts or anything carrier related somewhere ) info so far is that it is a 6 pounder carrier, one of the last 70 something made in NZ, has the Tekapo conversion ( straight pipe from the manifold out the side plate ) to prevent tussock fires. Also had the "cockey conversion" gunners armour off and out with the back panel to carry more fence posts, diesel engine matched up to carrier gear box.

Lynn Eades 11-07-11 10:44

Well Lew

That looks more viable. Good one. :thup:

Bob Moseley (RIP) 11-07-11 12:06

New Carrier

Hi Lew - two requests. All details off the makers plate and an image of the instrument panel.

Bob

Lynn Eades 11-07-11 12:33

Bob

How many Kiwi built carriers have you got recorded?

Bob Moseley (RIP) 11-07-11 12:46

Lynn

Hi there - i should put my glasses on. I mis-read the first post as I thought Lew was talking about 6pdrs and not 6pdr Carriers. I do not keep a record of Kiwi Carriers.

Bob

Lew Skelton 07-12-11 06:31

slow progress

4 Attachment(s)
Progressing slowly,had to make a gantry for the garage roof, took out the old diesel a couple of weeks back, waiting now for the xmas holidays to get stuck in. Got my flathead running on a stand that I knocked up out of stuff in my garage. Also got some new old armour cut out to replace the gunners armour that has been cut off, have a video of the engine running but not sure how to load it up.

shaun 07-12-11 08:51

I love the cooling system, many years ago i did a REME BDR course (battle damage repair) which was basically how to do a temporay a repair to get you home. One of the tasks in the field was a land rover with a blown rad, we fitted 2 jerry cans on the bumper and linked them into the cooling system. There was enough water circulating to cool the engine.

Your V8 looks good, what distributor have you fitted ? keep going there is a light at the end of the tunnel !

ajmac 07-12-11 12:35

That's a 1942-45 Ford USA Flathead distributor, known as a 'crab style' dizzy, they look like the post war Dagenham Flathead dizzy but are about half as deep. When they came from the range my Loyd had a cast iron version of the crab dizzy, trying to find one now is difficult most are aluminium. I guess cast iron was a wartime effort to keep pace with production and leave the aluminium for the aeroplanes.

Lew Skelton 07-12-11 18:37

Spot on

Your on the money AJ, cast iron dizzy housings are pretty common over here tho. I got the idea for the wheelie bin radiator off u tube, works a treat as I had it running for about 90min before it started really steaming, was surprised at how quiet the engine was, I had to take off the exhaust and really wind it up before my darling wife would come for a look

Lew Skelton 19-12-11 11:01

pre christmas update

3 Attachment(s)
So I spent the last couple of days in the garage, started with a decent clean out of the engine compartment. Removed the steering cam assy bearings all good, plate a bit rusty but where it bolts to the floor plate was poked so out it came, made up a new one and then bugger it all, wouldnt fit in in one piece without removing the cross tube etc so had to cut and re weld it back together once it was in place. After that I gave the cam assy a decent clean up coated with red oxide then thought "what colour were the control rods etc painted" went with the thought of the same as everything else and coated with olive drab.
Next task, new engine mounts, got them whistled up and welded into place, couldn't stop there so bolted the gearbox to the engine and lifted them into the hull, fits like a glove. I will be taking them out again but may be tempted to fire it up just to say Iv'e had the engine running in the hull.
Just a couple of questions for you other carrier fanatics, My hull had a hole cut thru the floor for the diesel engine sump to stick thru, I went and cut a floor section out of a bitser hull Iv'e got to fill the gap, and the opening below the gearbox is a different size, were the floor plans altered later on in NZ? and what colour were the controls rods etc painted.
thats all from me, cheers Lew.

Lew Skelton 19-12-11 11:04

more pics

3 Attachment(s)
And some more photos,

Lew Skelton 19-12-11 11:14

more photos

4 Attachment(s)
And some more photos, third one is the new old section of floor, the circled hole is the one thats a different size, there is also another hole (circular) at the top left whats that one for?
Diesel engine in there as its got an adaptor from the bellhousing to the flathead gearbox( looks mass produced. and last one is to show off my new gantry, lifts the engine gearbox piece of piss, also will lift the carrier rear end without too much bother(although I havn't measured for roof sag)

The Bedford Boys 19-12-11 23:45

You gonna take that cross tube out and refurb it? Don't be too much of a tight a** 'cos you will end up having to do it at some point anyway. :coffee Got that front armour welded up yet boy?

Lew Skelton 31-12-11 08:01

A bit of welding...

3 Attachment(s)
Tacked the front armour in place, theres even a couple of action shots.

Lew Skelton 31-12-11 08:04

a few more

3 Attachment(s)
couple more photos

Lew Skelton 31-12-11 08:12

couple more

3 Attachment(s)
and the last photos, its reclaimed armour from an old range target so has a couple of bullet splashes on one bit. Will weld up in the next few days then onto replacing the rest of the cut plate at the back and behind the driver.

Andrew 31-12-11 15:28

That is a great idea for holding water to run a engine out of vehicle! How did you plumb the lower lines into the container?

Andy

Lew Skelton 31-12-11 18:59

Run up wheelie bin

I used some plastic water tank fittings, normally used for farm irrigation.

Lew Skelton 31-12-11 21:23

whelie bin fittings

2 Attachment(s)
pictures of the other end of my engine (from a distance), shows the fittings in the temporary radiator. I had the engine running for about an hour and a half all up, got the water steaming so shut it off, afterwards thought I should have had the hose running into the wheelie bin to keep it cool. only had it running up like this to check for leaks de rust the water jackets and to ensure reliability prior to fitting the engine.

Seatyger 31-12-11 23:11

new carrier arrives home

I love how you guys think 'Outside the Box" and just get on with the pjoject!
Keep the info and photos coming!

Mine won't be coming home till mid March so until then I have been and will be scouring Threads like this.

Appreciate your effort in sharing. :cheers:

D Ellery 31-12-11 23:35

Looks good Lew. Hows the armour plate holding up with the new welds? As long as you've got good penetration and you weld at a good pace it should be all ok. You are leaving the bullet splash marks eh ? :no4:Please keep the pics coming. Cheers David.

CsepelLaszlo 01-01-12 16:05

VERY impressive, Good work!!!

Andrew 02-01-12 02:13

Thanks! I know exactly what you used. Need to do something like this to fire the m2a1 halftrack engine before installing it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew Skelton (Post 158365)
pictures of the other end of my engine (from a distance), shows the fittings in the temporary radiator.

CsepelLaszlo 02-01-12 03:21

vettes, You have a more more pictures on your halftrack build or is the thread over at CGN all you have currently. And here?

Thanks

Lew Skelton 10-02-12 08:19

some recent action

4 Attachment(s)
Iv'e put in a couple of solid weeks on the carrier, started by replacing the rear panel that had been cut out, then onto replacing the bit that was cut out from behind the driver, the plate was 6mm so isnt a perfect size match so have feathered it in where needed, gutted out all the drivers controls and took off the tracks to get at the brakes. Brakes were all clean and tidy, lots of lining left so sent into the brake shop for a tidy up of the drums.

Lew Skelton 10-02-12 08:28

more photos

5 Attachment(s)
more photos, also welded up where the engine cover had been gas cut, wasn't sure how to split the track without getting another punch stuck so made up the "chain and hammer' puller, it worked a treat.

Lew Skelton 10-02-12 08:38

more photos

5 Attachment(s)
and some more photos as the brakes came off, no worries with the asbestos as they were basically dust free, went into the brake experts and asked if they could reccomend a replacement lining,
"theres heaps left, and you will never find anything that has the stopping power of asbestos " was the reply, so a quick clean up they will get.

Mike t. 10-02-12 08:46

Good Work Lew, will catchup with you on weekend going up to Palmerston North to look at sherman hull parts will call in and drop off your engine cover. keep up the fantastic job on the carrier.

Lew Skelton 10-02-12 08:59

couple more photos

5 Attachment(s)
And the last few for tonight, I took the hull out to a wksp belonging to another military veh enthusiast, a bit more welding once the seagull sh*t had been ground back, stripped off the running gear and have started to remove the springs and wheels to give them the 70 year wheel bearing rebuild.
And yes Alex, the cross shaft is out........
All pretty tidy and most of the bolts pins etc have come off without needing to gas off the heads. A few buggered spring rods and 2 broken springs, one on each of the rear boogies. Dissasembly made easy with the spring compressing tool.
so far almost injury free, burnt my tit on a hot bit of front armour, mashed my finger nail with a boogie.
Sandblasting and painting next week.

colin jones 10-02-12 11:42

Excellent job Lew. Your hull looks to be almost rust free. Keep up the good work.
Colin.