MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Carrier Soft Parts (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16603)

Lynn Eades 17-05-11 12:42

Carrier Soft Parts

4 Attachment(s)
Heres is a few images of some of the carrier soft parts to show what they are like for those among us who would like to know.
This is the cross tube boot from an Australian LP2 carrier. I think the Brit/ Canadian one is very similar.
Last pic show a couple of cups that the suspension balls run in.

Lynn Eades 17-05-11 12:51

4 Attachment(s)
Here we have the leather boot that goes from the back of the gearbox to the diff adapter.
The black rubber seal fits on the shaft that the bogie fork pivots on.
The small leather boot fits to the brake bisector on the brake back plate.

Lynn Eades 17-05-11 13:03

4 Attachment(s)
Here is a fibre seal from under the fuel tank pick up.
The next two are the boot assembly that seals the rear hull to the brake rod. I have shown it collapsed to show how it was made. It has a spring in it that I suspect would be similar to one found in a petrol pump.
The last one is the felt dust seal from the steering column at the floor.

eddy8men 17-05-11 23:53

thanks for taking the time and effort to put up some of the less well known items.

eddy

Philliphastings 19-05-11 10:47

And there I was thinking the crew were the only soft parts on the carrier !

Thanks for the pics Lynn - especially the cross tube seal. Is anyone making them again out there ?

Cheers

Phill

Lynn Eades 19-05-11 11:26

More

3 Attachment(s)
Rick, just trying to spread the info. Phillip, there was someone Stateside, or Canada, but haven't seen anything for a while.
Heres a bit more.
The cork seal is the seal from the bogie wheels. They came in the form of a steel bodied leather lipped seal.
This felt seal is from the bellcrank outside of the rear hull plate. two in each assy.
Thie leather one is from a fuel cap.

Lynn Eades 19-05-11 11:39

3 Attachment(s)
These bits are part of the leather seal in post #3 the rubber boot is an alternative, the steel pieces are parts of both setups. one fits into the hole in the rear hull, the other is a close fit on the outside of the clevis that connects to the bellcrank.
The last one if the filter off the fuel pick up pipe in the tank.

Ben 19-05-11 12:28

Lynn has lent me a cross tube leather boot to copy. I'll let you know if i find someone who can do a good job at the right price.

Ben

Lynn Eades 19-05-11 12:32

Ben

It just so happens to be the one in the photo.

Lynn Eades 22-09-18 11:48

1 Attachment(s)
I found another item. The cam plate mounting plate had (at least on this Canadian MkI* Universal) a canvas gasket between the support plate and the floor apeture.
Anyone else found this?

rob love 22-09-18 17:36

Not a gasket per-se, but rather a very small portion of the canvas cover that went over the cam plate. Portions of the bottom were retained by being sandwiched between the cam baseplate and the hull. It had a snap on each end for where it went around the crosstube. Basically it was to keep mud, gravel, spare washers and nuts etc, from fouling in the can to crosstube. I have the remnants of most of one in my collection somewhere, however have never seen a complete one, nor wanted to try and reproduce it. It is tough enough getting the cam plate back on a carrier without fiddling around with a canvas cover.

stephen crowhurst 22-09-18 21:39

Cam Cover

1 Attachment(s)
Is this the cover referred too? Unfortunately not mine.

Stephen

Lynn Eades 22-09-18 21:47

Hi Rob, I wonder if the attachment was sewn to a full gasket. This one appears to have been all the way around. Maybe stitching tabs or the like, inside the bounds of the hole (to a flat rectangle of canvas) enabled the fitting of a cover?

Lynn Eades 22-09-18 21:59

Hi Stephen. I have not seen that one before. My AOP MkIIIw had the remains of a steel box type seal at the div plate that projected forward behind the seat in a similar fashion. it was probably only about 40mm deep with a rubber? seal that the two rods passed through. The problem is that the rods shift laterally as the cam plate rotates.
This one Rob talks of goes around the cross tube and cam plate.

Thank you Stephen, for adding your photo to this thread

rob love 22-09-18 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn Eades (Post 254208)
Hi Rob, I wonder if the attachment was sewn to a full gasket. This one appears to have been all the way around. Maybe stitching tabs or the like, inside the bounds of the hole (to a flat rectangle of canvas) enabled the fitting of a cover?

Possible. That would stop you from having an uneven cam base-plate.

I also have the remains of a metal box that went under the seat. It prevented debris from reaching the cam plate thru the opining that the two steering cam rods went through.

If I run into the remnants of my cam cover, I'll snap a photo. I am heading back into the shop right now to spend the day cleaning...perhaps it will show up.

Lynn Eades 29-08-21 05:21

2 Attachment(s)
Reviving an old thread. Here are a couple of original fuel lines for the interest of the purist nut jobs.
With one of them being 1/40 dated, these will be British origin.

Lynn Eades 29-08-21 05:33

3 Attachment(s)
Well no matter what I do, they come through top side down.
Here are a couple of the radiator mount. The rubber block is nominally 1 inch wide and tapers from the front 47mm high to 40mm high at the back. The hole through the middle accepts the 3/8" dia bolt.
I believe (from Michael R) that there was a mod to hold the bolts at the bottom.

Lynn Eades 29-08-21 05:41

2 Attachment(s)
Hopefully someone can flip my pictures.
Next for this visit is the fibre coupling (drive) for the generator. (shown with the armature dog)

Lynn Eades 29-08-21 05:47

1 Attachment(s)
And another of the fuel cap seal to better show it was leather.

marcel both 29-08-21 12:08

Thanks for sharing the information included the rubber blocks for the radiatormount.
This will helps me to make new rubber blocks for my carrier.

Lynn Eades 29-08-21 12:18

Marcel, I had some cut with a water cutter. Worked out good.