MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Dear John (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8199)

Keith Webb 01-03-07 23:49

Dear John

I can remember this one from the 1970s. The actors are Australians, with Bruce Spence as the main character. Great ad, even if the conflict era is somewhat confused.

Dear John

It's on YouTube of course!

Vets Dottir 02-03-07 20:22

I can't imagine how awful that would be to be off to war serving my Country, and others, and receiving a Dear John / Dear Jane letter for real.

I remember that old song Keith.

Karmen.

John McGillivray 03-03-07 14:51

For a second there you had me worried.

John

sapper740 03-03-07 15:10

Re: Dear John

Quote:

Originally posted by Keith Webb
I can remember this one from the 1970s. The actors are Australians, with Bruce Spence as the main character. Great ad, even if the conflict era is somewhat confused.

Dear John

It's on YouTube of course!

Check out ebay item #250088384625

Ken Hughes 05-03-07 05:41

dear john

my uncle got a dear john letter while a prisoner of war in ww2,it greatly afected him

Rod Diery 05-03-07 14:03

Re: Re: Dear John

Quote:

Originally posted by sapper740
That lady should be ashamed of herself for not minding her own business.
It reminds me of a nasty woman in Melbourne a couple of years ago when I visited my sister there. She told my sister that she should not have strange men staying with her as it was a good neighbourhood. I would love to have seen her face when my sister told her I was her brother.
I don't know whether to be offended about the woman's narrow mindedness or that she thought I was kind of unsavoury looking.
Cheers
Rod

Keith Webb 05-03-07 19:49

Unsavoury

Quote:

Originally posted by Rod Diery
That lady should be ashamed of herself for not minding her own business.
It reminds me of a nasty woman in Melbourne a couple of years ago when I visited my sister there. She told my sister that she should not have strange men staying with her as it was a good neighbourhood. I would love to have seen her face when my sister told her I was her brother.
I don't know whether to be offended about the woman's narrow mindedness or that she thought I was kind of unsavoury looking.
Cheers
Rod

LOL... it must've been the blitz driving rogues you kept company with when you were here! ;)

Pylon1357 06-03-07 21:24

Re: Re: Dear John

Quote:

Originally posted by sapper740
I recall looking at that eBay auction and thinking to myself...wow that lady is a real busy-body and she should mind her own bussiness.

Then I thought of my uncle Richard (Dick) who was stationed in Canada with RCOC and how he relayed his thoughts to getting a similar letter from a busy-body. In the end, Dick hated his wife so much for what she did to him (well others I suppose) while he was gone, that he refused to give her a divorce so she could remarry. I guess in the end HE won.

Rod Diery 08-03-07 09:20

Re: Unsavoury

Quote:

Originally posted by Keith Webb
LOL... it must've been the blitz driving rogues you kept company with when you were here! ;)
If she had seen them, I'm sure she would have called the cops. :smoker:
Cheers
Rod