MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   dxf file for track sprockets (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11152)

D.Quapp 25-05-08 06:42

dxf file for track sprockets

Hey guys,

A while back I noticed there was some talk about there being a dxf file for track sprockets around . Does any one have them or know who might? i've got my own cnc plasma cutting table, and I'd be willing to burn some out for my carrier bretheren. I can do a quality cut at one inch so cutting them would be no problem. What is the thought on material, I would think that if we cut them from mild steel they could wear instead of the track. I can cut em by the dozen and fairly cheap. I was kicking the idea of making track pins(as I duck for cover) and actually delivering them...... I was also thinking that these should be mild steel as well so they wear and not the irreplaceable track links. I would bet that the average carrier owner would never wear out a set of mild steel sprockets in their life time. Any comments? And by the way, I own a carrier, but with a set of scimitar tracks on it, utilizing the original sprockets, and I have ten sets of spares.

Darcy.

Lynn Eades 25-05-08 08:04

Darcy

Welcome to the forum! Where are you? Are you an Aussie?What sort of carrier do you have? Are you being harrassed now? (sorry)
Search Rob Groves. I forget the name of the thread, but its a bad press one about him failing to supply track pins.
You may have some difficulty opening the cad drawings. I know nothing about cad, but I understand these drawings require an old programme.
I don't think mild steel would be any good. What about bizaloy 80 I believe it work hardens. Often a hard material will wear faster than a soft material, when put together.
Cheers,

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 25-05-08 16:14

Darcy's in Alberta, Canada... I'll add that to his profile presently to support his questions to you all.

D.Quapp 31-05-08 01:14

Geez,

I thought that I might get a little more feed back.....no interest, no problem. I'm always here to help.Thanks for the input Lynn, you can view my carrier on Dougs heavy metal gallery . it's Darcy's home grown panzer. I did it my way, and I love it. Still not running, I posted the pictures about 4 years ago, since moved to a farm, and had no time to work on it. However, I pull it around with a tractor, filled with kids, and they have a great time. Rivet counters be damned, full steam ahead. Lynn, in Canada I am what they call a hillbilly redkneck, and a damn proud one at that.

Darcy

jeff davis 14-06-08 16:58

Scimitar Tracks

The tracks fit on the Carrier without modifications?
I have a Carrier as well.
Did you find out about the file needed to cut the sprockets/
Jeff

D.Quapp 18-06-08 04:51

Actually the suspension was completely hand made. It was very close to the original in size , but made to accomadate the scimitar track and road wheels. It was a ridiculous amount of work, but it worked. And as a bonus, the track is good for like 5000 k or something stupid like that, and I have two more complete sets. All in all I was happy with the build, and I like the way it looks. I have not found out about the dxf file, I think it's a dead horse.

Darcy.

jeff davis 18-06-08 16:56

A fellow is working on decifering the file as we speak ill update later
Jeff

alleramilitaria 18-06-08 17:06

i would love a copy
thanks
dave