MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Carrier sprockets (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23973)

RichardT10829 15-06-15 22:29

Carrier sprockets

Hey folks, I am wanting to make some spare sprockets for my carrier, is there a correct CAD file out in our community that I could use to get some cut ?

Also can F type sprockets be used on the later style drums and vice versa ?

Cheers

Richie

ajmac 16-06-15 01:27

Richie,
I have a cad file for a sprocket, however the price was such that getting one sent from Australia seemed cheaper!

Michael R. 16-06-15 06:20

'F' series sprockets are interchangeable between U.C. Marks.

Arthur Morel 16-06-15 07:22

copy

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmac (Post 210827)
Richie,
I have a cad file for a sprocket, however the price was such that getting one sent from Australia seemed cheaper!

Any charnge of a copy please

RichardT10829 16-06-15 09:53

Likewise !

Alastair what grade steel was required ? I am wondering weather they need to be heat treated etc ?

ajmac 16-06-15 10:48

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure, a grade that is flame hardenable as I believe only the teeth are hard with a softer core for toughness. They need to be plasma profiled then final machined on a lathe for the bolt holes, ID, chamfers and tooth profile. I was quoted £175 just for a mild steel profiled blank version to trial on.

This a jpg of the CAD I did, can send you the .dwg file if you like:

Lynn Eades 16-06-15 11:23

Arthur send a private message to Andrew Rowe on this forum about sprockets.
Andrew has previously advertised Australian pattern carrier sprockets for sale on this forum, but I do not know the current situation.

The Australian sprocket would be able to be used on a riveted carrier if one shoulder (they are on both sides of the sprocket) was to be machined (turned) off. The shoulder is about 3 or 4 ml. thick. Removing the shoulder would put the sprocket centre line back in the centre of the track.
Riveted carrier ones have no shoulders.
The pitch and mounting hole pattern are the same between the two types of carriers.

Andrew Rowe 16-06-15 23:11

sprockets

Yes, Lynn, I still have a few available from reserve stocks, Cheers.
And you are correct in what you say about the little shoulder, about 2mm thick, once machined off , a few minutes in a lathe ,end up dimensionally the same as English and Canadian.

Andrew Rowe 17-06-15 08:12

Sprockets

2 Attachment(s)
Just to show you the different sprockets in picture form, you can see the raised edge of the LP one, over laid onto the English one.

kevin powles 17-06-15 22:10

Sprockets.

Gents, would it really matter if you didn't machine that shoulder off?, just run them as is?.

Kevin.

RichardT10829 18-06-15 15:10

I have sourced a pair of CAN/BRIT ones now, thanks folks.

Stew Robertson 19-06-15 01:07

have them laser cut from 4140 no machining required unless you want to throw them on the lath and put some lead in on the sides