MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LP Carrier Fuel Tank Dipstick (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18871)

The Bedford Boys 26-07-12 08:41

LP Carrier Fuel Tank Dipstick

Hi Guys,

We need some photos and measurements for an LP Carrier fuel dipstick. We know they are made from Masonite, which shouldn't be a challenge to get.

Cheers

Lynn Eades 26-07-12 09:33

Masonite- dipstick

So what is it? bits of crushed and dried masons? Do the bits of bear fur cause fuel blockages? (no offence meant)
I have a hardwood one.
I could bring it down this weekend if you want a look.

Lew Skelton 26-07-12 11:15

Sounds like a plan

Bear fur or hard wood I would be keen, any chance of the measurements for the throttle linkage also.

Lew

Lynn Eades 26-07-12 12:17

Lew

2 Attachment(s)
The measurements are from the spindle center to the hole center.

The Bedford Boys 26-07-12 21:06

I'm not sure as to the exact percentage of crushed masons and bear fur, but Masonite is generally mostly steamed wood fibres.

Is your dipstick an original Lynn?

Lew, I saw one of those throttle linkages on it's lonesome in a box up in Hamilton.

Lynn Eades 26-07-12 21:50

Alex

My guess is..... Yes! .....but looks more like Jarrah to me.

The Bedford Boys 27-07-12 06:29

Definitely keen to have a shufty at it then Lynn.

The Bedford Boys 27-07-12 23:46

1 Attachment(s)
Lynn, I forgot to measure the thickness of the damn thing :doh:

I had a look in the parts list last night, and it shows the dipstick as being 15 1/2" long, whereas your one measured up at 16" long.

In the parts book, it shows just above the 11 gal mark, what looks to be the word "FULL", with no corresponding mark.

I was sent a picture that was procured from this forum (sorry I do not know who the original owner of the photo is), showing some dipsticks that show 12 gal markings.

Do any of you Aussies have an original dipstick you can show us?

George McKenzie 31-07-12 00:54

fuel tank dipstick

I have an original one on my MK2 Canadian carrier .It fits on the left side of the engine, on a cover .Would mine be different ?

jack neville 31-07-12 03:22

Carrier dipstick

Has anyone ever seen a carrier dipstick that is stainless steel. A mate has one that looks genuinely marked. I will post a picture when I can.

The Bedford Boys 31-07-12 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by George McKenzie (Post 168528)
I have an original one on my MK2 Canadian carrier .It fits on the left side of the engine, on a cover .Would mine be different ?

Yes, yours will be different.

Lynn Eades 31-07-12 08:47

Alex, George and others.

Alex, it accurs to me that with the gallon markings on two of the three in your photo, that they are not for a std 10 gallon tank as the gallon marks are too close together, and so would be for a larger tank. Maybe they are for the 2 pounder or the mortar carrier. (BTW,there are 6 1/4 gallons to the cu. ft.)
I don't think 1/2 an inch makes any odds. Things get up graded. Maybe earlier ones were longer, or someone decided the handles were too short, so they made the later ones longer.....or someone (else?) was a bit slack with the measuring (because it didn't matter)

George we are talking Aussie carrier dip sticks here, not those for riveted carriers. (the tanks are the same size, and so the dip sticks would be ok, except they wouldnt fit in each others dipstick holders)

Ron Pier 31-07-12 08:57

I'd be interested to see a dipstick and stowage position for a Canadian MK2.

Ron