MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   VICKERS MK6B's resto (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26465)

colin jones 08-01-18 05:51

3 Attachment(s)
Both fuel tanks are completed and test fitted.

Niels V 08-01-18 10:12

Would there have been baffles, in them originally?

colin jones 08-01-18 20:19

Hi Neil, yes the baffle I made is the same as the original tank I have. I would like to use the original but it is just too far gone with the bottom and rear eaten out but it does give me a look inside to see what is there.

David Dunlop 08-01-18 21:20

How, or were, the tanks secured, Colin?

I thought I saw an angle iron strip along either the base or back, but that might just have been a form of standoff to keep the tank separated from the hull. Or my eyes playing tricks on me.

David

colin jones 08-01-18 21:43

Hi David, there are a number of brackets inside the rear well with felt padding that holds the tank in place and another one on the rear plate that when bolted down holds downward pressure on the tank which holds it securely in place. I think the strap you may have seen in some other photos would be one of two straps that hold the water tank in place in the adjoining compartment.
Colin.

Ryan 11-01-18 05:24

Vickers tanks.

2 Attachment(s)
A couple of photos from the NSW library. Vickers in Sydney.

Tim Lovelock 17-01-18 07:51

https://youtu.be/OgIRcNjtmqQ
Here is a link to a Pathe film, the year in review 1940.
Toward the end is some short clips of Vickers Light Tanks.
Very much enjoying your posts, cheers Tim

Ganmain Tony 18-01-18 00:48

Mr Jones

Colin, I'm starting to worry... no posts for a while.

Hope youre OK.

colin jones 19-01-18 02:17

5 Attachment(s)
Ryan, Tim. Thanks for the photos and film :thup2: Tony, thanks for the concern but I am all good but the kids are on holidays, housework, cooking, you know how it is :doh: :coffee. I still found some time to get the fuel tanks finished and had my growing apprentice Andrew doing some sealing for me. (when I can get him away from the screen games) :rolleyes

colin jones 19-01-18 02:21

5 Attachment(s)
I have also done the water tanks that are strapped at the back.

colin jones 19-01-18 02:24

5 Attachment(s)
I had to make a couple of spouts which were made from an old exhaust for the bends and I machined up the tops for the caps.

colin jones 19-01-18 02:27

5 Attachment(s)
Once again you just can't fold from one end as the shape requires a sequence and some had bending as well.

colin jones 19-01-18 02:32

5 Attachment(s)
Both fuel and water tanks are completed as well as the internal fuel tank supports with the felt. I needed to get these parts done so I can close the back in without having to diss assemble at a later stage.

Jordan Baker 19-01-18 04:09

Looks great and I love following along. I jus have a technique question for you. In post 611, photo 4 what are you using the bead roller for? Is it for adding the hem? Just curious as trying to do that type of edge has been difficult for me in the past.

colin jones 19-01-18 05:11

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Jordan, yes I am, I folded as far as I can go on the panbrake which is about 120deg and then through the bead roller to flatten completely and it does a great job.
Both tanks are fitted but I just need to finish making two caps for them but as it is around 42 deg here at the moment I'm going to call it a day and have a cold beer :drunk:

Jordan Baker 19-01-18 05:15

Thanks. Any special dies to use?

colin jones 19-01-18 05:20

No nothing special, just two flat ones.

Jordan Baker 19-01-18 06:00

Ok thanks. I'll be giving that a try. I've always had issues trying to get that seam to flatten out consistently.

James P 23-01-18 16:09

Terrific work going on in that shop Colin. 42 deg .........sounds brutal, what was it with the "wind chill", 40°c ?? You certainly earned a cold beverage or two.

RichardT10829 24-01-18 14:48

Looking fantastic Colin. Would that be Naftoseal being applied by junior ? Also known as Choccy sauce :yappy:

colin jones 25-01-18 09:10

5 Attachment(s)
James, Richard, the wind chill is about 45 coming from the north and I did have a few cold ones we are about to get the next 3-4 days of extremely hot above 40 out here but I will keep plodding along. The sealant Andrew was putting on the fuel tanks is aviation sealant my wife bring home from work when it's out of date to use on aircraft but still has lots of time left for ground use. The RAAF won't use any if it is even one day past its useby date. Bad for them :whingegreat for me :yappy: :yappy:.
I have been continuing on the back to get them both finished.

colin jones 25-01-18 09:14

5 Attachment(s)
The wishbone shape part is for support for the crank handle. It swings down when required and the crank handle is inserted and I just happened to have an original crank handle as well :). The other shaped part is for storage of a cammo net or tarp.

colin jones 25-01-18 09:20

4 Attachment(s)
The press tooling I made is for the fuel tank cover. It has a dished recess for I assume a soft rubber compound to sit in under the lid. As I only need two of these I never put too much weld on them so I can easily disassemble and reuse the material again, much like most of my tooling. I will get them both completed within the next 2-3 days.

colin jones 28-01-18 03:36

4 Attachment(s)
I have just about completed both the backs apart from the fuel doors.

colin jones 28-01-18 03:38

The rear plate has some holes that bolts go through and some are tapped. After spraying the parts today they were dry in about 30 seconds as it is pushing 43-44 degrees hear. Not so good working but great for painting.

colin jones 28-01-18 03:40

4 Attachment(s)
And I forgot to post the pictures from the last post :confused must be the heat :smoker:

colin jones 29-01-18 06:08

3 Attachment(s)
Fuel cap doors are done on both as is the crank handle stays.

RichardT10829 29-01-18 20:10

Great work Colin. We use the same stuff but we nick named it "choccy sauce" Its primarily used on aircraft fuel tanks as you say, fantastic stuff, the grab quality of it is also astounding ! I quite like the smell of it though :D

really enjoying this thread mate, absolutely fantastic.

Richie

Lynn Eades 29-01-18 22:25

Colin, Same sentiments as Richard except that Chocolate sauce is only for Ice cream.

Tim Lovelock 30-01-18 13:27

Hi Colin,
As always, very much enjoying your progress and thread.
You've mentioned the crank handle above and swing down bracket.
Can I ask, what do you crank with it?
Cheers Tim