MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Original WWII CMP Scotches (FAT etc.) (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26182)

Frantisek Nachlinger 19-08-16 08:28

Original WWII CMP Scotches (FAT etc.)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi folks,

when I was studying the MB-F1 Maintenance Manual, I found a sketch of a FAT that is blocked against moving during using winch with a pair of scotches. There is a place marked under rear wheel housing used for placing those scotches when not in use (marked "A" on the sketch).

Please, does anybody here have those scotches? Is there any chance today to find (and buy) a pair of original ones? If not, please, could anybody send here few pictures with dimensions?

Does anybody have a picture of the brackets from a FAT?

The manual says "some vehicles are equipped with a pair of scotches and hawsers to anchor vehicle when using the winch cable" - were all the winch equipped vehicles equipped with those scotches (e.g. wreckers)? I haven't looken to MB-C1 yet, but did the Chevrolets have them too?

Thank you!

Frankie

Barry Churcher 19-08-16 12:39

Hi. I have some of those scotches but the shipping to Czech would be awful. My son in law has relatives there and last week they just returned from a holiday. Maybe the next time he goes he and my daughter and grandchildren could take them as extra baggage. I will check one and see what they weigh.
Barry

Niels V 20-08-16 09:18

Otherwise I have a set for my cgt that I could measure and takes pictures off

Frantisek Nachlinger 22-08-16 08:53

thank you

Great to hear that

Berry, my friend from Sault Ste Marie was here in Pilsen 2 months ago, maybe he's going to arrive next year. You have a PM.

Niels, if I am right the rear part of the rear body of cab 13 and cab 12 FATs are identical, could you please send me the pictures of the scotches as well as photos of the brackets?

Thank you both

Frankie

Niels V 22-08-16 13:13

Hi Frantisek
From what I have found and seen the scotches are mounted in the rear mudguard of a cab 13 but I have found no traces of this on any of the cab 11/12 I have seen.
This is by the way the scotch I have a set of http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25213
they are fairly simple but rather heavy.

Harlé Sylvain 24-08-16 18:48

1 Attachment(s)
Hello
could those two hooks located each side of the frame be the brackets for the scotches?
Sylvain

Niels V 24-08-16 20:01

That must be the hook for the chain and wire when you use the sotch,

Frantisek Nachlinger 25-08-16 08:13

thank you all...

What about the Chevrolet? I haven't found any information about them in MB-C1 manual...

My father told me he had a pair of those on C60S Wrecker. But they could be added after the war, when the wrecked was used in city transport maintenance company.

Frankie

Harlé Sylvain 26-08-16 22:14

1 Attachment(s)
Hello
Looking after pictures of FAT, I found this picture on the net , you can see the scotches and there brackets on a cab13 no idea if they also fit the cab12

Cheers

Niels V 26-08-16 22:23

I have no trace of those brackets in my cab 12

Frantisek Nachlinger 27-08-16 04:09

than you, Harlé, for the Picture.

Barry Churcher 10-10-16 20:03

Ahoj Frankie,

Právě máme Thanksgiving (díkůvzdání) večeři s rodinou a v pondělí je
svátek. Potom vezmu fotografie "CHOCKU" a pošlu ti je.

Mnoho pozdravů,

Barry

Frantisek Nachlinger 11-10-16 08:27

Barry,
thank you for your reply in my language! No mistakes in it!
Loking forward for the pics.
Frankie

maple_leaf_eh 11-10-16 15:31

Scotches

Learnt something new today. (Can I go back to sleep now?)

Grant Hopkins 16-10-16 03:57

My C30 LAAT also has 2 scotches mounted on the back outside of the box and hooks on the frame for anchoring them when winching.

Frantisek Nachlinger 16-10-16 16:17

old thread

found this old thread about the scotches today:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6921

I have been offered a ritish made pair - for Morris gun tractor. Look quite similar, but are missing the eyelet - there is only a hole in the edge. Would like to find the Canadian ones :)

Barry Churcher 16-10-16 20:00

3 Attachment(s)
Ahoj Frankie
I finally got more photos downloaded for you. Looking at this set I don't think they would be very hard to duplicate.
Barry

Barry Churcher 16-10-16 20:03

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the rest of the photos. Notice where the chain attaches isn't as fancy as the riveted ones.

Frantisek Nachlinger 16-10-16 20:18

Barry,
thank you! Yes, they seem to be later "low price & fast" type of production.
I like them, do you have a pair for sale? :) I would preffer orioginals, but i am afraid that the postage is gonna be deadly.

F

Barry Churcher 17-10-16 19:39

Hi Frankie
I will try to get to the post office this week and price the postage for you. I am in the process of sending a part to Australia and I was surprised at the postage. Lower than I thought but two months delivery.:ergh:
Cheers,
Barry

Frantisek Nachlinger 17-10-16 19:45

It seems the FGT combination's gonna be ready on Christmass 2017, so no hurry ;o)

Frantisek Nachlinger 24-12-16 23:36

2 Attachment(s)
I found - and bought - one original pair - one early, one late. Thank you all for help!

Hanno Spoelstra 25-12-16 10:04

My, my, Frankie, you have done some serious Christmas shopping!

Limber, manual, and now some scotches :thup2:

Frantisek Nachlinger 25-12-16 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 232612)
My, my, Frankie, you have done some serious Christmas shopping!

Limber, manual, and now some scotches :thup2:

Hanno,
I am very lucky. I will share it of course. Sadly there are no drawings of the rear body, just a very long list of body parts - including ones marked "for the Indian army".
Believe it or not all I bouht was in one dutch "CMP supermarket" :) felt like Santa Claus running all over germany with this great load behind!
I bought many more parts for the FGT, only a very few missing now ;)
Frankie

Frantisek Nachlinger 05-04-17 21:24

1 Attachment(s)
I do not have the original "scotch hooks" on the front bumper. It seems that the Chevy and Ford ones are different - could anybody také some pics and measurements of the ford ones, please? It seems I have to reproduce them. Would be lovely to find originals!

Frantisek Nachlinger 22-05-17 16:36

Ford Front Scotch Hooks

I came across an original Right hand pigtail hook - here: https://www.lwdparts.com/product/hook-pigtail-rh/

Do not hope I will ever find a Left Hand one, so I am going to manufature them. Some friends want a R.H. copy too, so if anyone needed a L.H. one after buying a R.H. original, or a set of both, let me know.

Does anybody have the original rope? Or dimensions? Where should it be stored in the rear body?

Thank you,
Frankie

Phil Waterman 22-05-17 19:55

May not be for the Scotches

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frantisek Nachlinger (Post 238084)
I came across an original Right hand pigtail hook - here: https://www.lwdparts.com/product/hook-pigtail-rh/

Thank you,
Frankie

Hi Frankie

From my C60L with winch I might suggest what is pictured
Attachment 90860
is actually used to guide the winch cable along the frame to the front winch fairing. The attachments for the scotches are simple heavy "U"s will try and dig out photos.

Cheers Phil

Phil Waterman 22-05-17 20:51

I stand corrected

Hi

Just pulled the Ford Parts Book FGT-01 and yes indeed the pigtail type hooks as pictured were used to hook the scotches too.

Just another of those FORD vs CHEVROLET using the same parts differently.

Cheers Phil

Frantisek Nachlinger 23-05-17 09:29

Yes, exactly... first type ised them as a cable guide too, the later one had another guides and used this as a scotch hooks :)

Grant Bowker 27-05-17 04:08

4 Attachment(s)
Attached photos of the scotch hooks on my C60L. As far as I can tell it was fitted with winch from original, not added post-service. Clearly, both the winch cable pigtail and the left rear scotch hook have been abused . The right front scotch hook is located on the bottom of the frame inboard of the battery box.