MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   “Bringing a Blitz back to life” (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33614)

Hanno Spoelstra 16-08-22 09:31

“Bringing a Blitz back to life”

1 Attachment(s)
https://news.defence.gov.au/service/...litz-back-life

Attachment 129756

Tony Smith 16-08-22 17:38

Hopefully, they'll get around to restoring a Dodge Blitz, too! Not many of them still in existence! :doh:

m606paz 16-08-22 19:20

Round front bumper ends... Australian upgrade? :confused

Mike Cecil 16-08-22 21:31

Registration number??

Wonder where they got the registration number from ... it is not within any RAAF registration number range, and the Army number was a 7 ton International semi-trailer.

The least they could have done is apply a registration actually used on an RAAF CMP.

Nice looking cab. Post-war colour.

Mike

Mike Cecil 16-08-22 21:53

Front bumper

Mariano,

As far as I know, rounded ends were not an RAAF or Aust modification, nor the single, centrally and horizontally-mounted towing eye.

Mike

Grant Bowker 16-08-22 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cecil (Post 288124)
A nor the single, centrally and horizontally-mounted towing eye.

From what I've seen, it doesn't take much to bend a CMP bumper outboard of the frame rails, perhaps they're better when pulled between the frame rails. Pulling in line with the frame rails (as on most CMP with two tow eyes) would definitely be better for the truck.

David Dunlop 16-08-22 23:03

Are those late pattern hubs on early pattern axels, or are shadows changing things under the truck?

David

Jacques Reed 17-08-22 00:36

Ford/Chev radiator brush guard

Is that a Chev CMP radiator brush guard on a Ford? Or did Ford use Chev types sometimes? Fords I always thought were mounted behind bumper and Chev in front.

rob love 17-08-22 01:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques Reed (Post 288127)
Is that a Chev CMP radiator brush guard on a Ford? Or did Ford use Chev types sometimes? Fords I always thought were mounted behind bumper and Chev in front.

There were variations on the Ford Brush guard...some were in front and some were behind. But this may be a case where they misplaced the spacer blocks behind the bumper. It does not appear to be the split spring chev guard.

Grant Bowker 17-08-22 01:35

The clips holding the leaves (leafs?) of the brush guard together at mid-height are also not a standard Chevrolet feature.

Jacques Reed 17-08-22 01:50

Ford/Chev radiator brush guards

Thanks Grant and Rob,

Now that I had a closer look I see what you mean. Looks like the locating pin is between the bolt holes on the lower part of the springs. Fords were not drilled there if they had the spacer blocks so I am guessing as Rob said the spacers were missing so they were attached that way. Hope they had good sharp drills going through the spring steel.

Cheers,

rob love 17-08-22 04:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques Reed (Post 288131)
Thanks Grant and Rob,

Now that I had a closer look I see what you mean. Looks like the locating pin is between the bolt holes on the lower part of the springs. Fords were not drilled there if they had the spacer blocks so I am guessing as Rob said the spacers were missing so they were attached that way. Hope they had good sharp drills going through the spring steel.

Cheers,

Heat them red and let them cool. That would take the temper out of the area you want to drill. Then heat them red (not white) and quench in oil to re-temper them. Not saying that is what they did, but it is what I would do.

Note the overhang of the top bar left and right. More support that they modified the Ford brush guard, narrowed and drilled it, then bolted it to the front bumper.

Jacques Reed 17-08-22 07:33

Ford CMP radiator brush guard

1 Attachment(s)
Rob,

There is a bit of overhang at the top of a Ford brush guard.
Looks similar spacing as mine. Although if the top pipe is not original and a different length then it could be different. I see both pipes have a hole drilled facing forward on the left side however. Don't know what it is for.

Based on position of the centre of my shackles (Where they are drilled) I don't think it is too far out.

Cheers,

Hanno Spoelstra 11-10-22 21:43

1 Attachment(s)
Turns out that Blitz serial number 19012 was originally a Derrick crane truck:

"Image caption: Blitz truck 19012 prior to being restored by RAAF History and Heritage’s Restoration Support Section."
Attachment 130280
Source: Royal Australian Air Force.

Mike Cecil 11-10-22 23:05

Sacriledge!

So they took a rare Australian derrick truck used by both the Army and RAAF, and 'restored' it as a GS truck ... wonder what they did with the derrick crane?

Their truck I suppose, but seems a terrible shame to have taken that path.

Mike

Ed Storey 12-10-22 03:24

Restoration

Typical amateur restoration, take something rare and screw it up under the guise of history and heritage.

Jacques Reed 14-10-22 08:24

"RAAF History and Heritage"

This "news" has done the rounds.

Was on Chev and Ford Blitzes in Australia FB page this week.

I made similar comments to Mike on that forum.
RAAF History and Heritage was a not taken seriously in this case.

Cheers,