MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Oil filter housing and brackets (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19399)

Svenn Ryen 06-11-12 19:15

Oil filter housing and brackets

Hi- for my Chevrolet C15A i am looking for a complete oil filter housing with all brackets for attaching it to the engine/clutch housing.

Need it shipped to Norway

Svenn

Svenn Ryen 10-11-12 09:43

flexible oil lines

Does anyone have the length and set up for the flexible oil lines from the filter?

Are replacements available anywhere?

And does anyone have meassurments for the oil filter engine bracket? close up pics?

Thanks

Svenn

Phil Waterman 10-11-12 22:08

Want to confirm which oil filter

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Svenn

Want to confirm which oil filter unit you need information on. One is vertically mounted. It is the later design but there were service bulletins on installing them as replacements on the earlier trucks.

Attachment 53195

or the one mounted in the frame rail
Attachment 53196

From what you are describing I think you want the vertically mounted unit which is the later design it is a large filter unit and uses a larger filter cartridge sometimes called large military standard. Having said that I have also seen the smaller older style filter unit relocated and mounted vertically.

The horizontal mounted filters are a pain to change and being mounted so low and out of sight, I suspect, in service they may have been overlooked. Plus there was no way to drain them to remove any water without dumping the contents completely. From my reading the relocation was to in part improve the heating of the oil to help drive off any condensation in the oil instead of providing a place for it to collect. But the filter housing could be easily drained by removing the plug at the bottom.

Now as to your question yes the flexible lines are available I'll look up the part numbers. I've bought them within the last 2 years.

There several pictures of the oil filter mounting on http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/H...INE%20WORK.htm

Cheers Phil

Svenn Ryen 11-11-12 08:06

Hi Phil

Yes- it the later vertically mounted type. I have the large standard military filter but no bracket.

Thanks for the pictures. Seem like a quite easy bracket to make, except for the "groove"(not sure what it called :whinge) in the plate.

Does anyone have the meassurements for it? Outside dimmensions and plate thickness?

As for oil lines, numbers would be great. Thanks for helping me!!

Svenn
Norway

Bob Carriere 12-11-12 04:51

Pictures....

4 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures from my library.....

Phil..... where did you get the funny reversed flare lines..... called "Weather???

We have a bracket in the barn...... can take more Pictures and measurements...

You will also need to find the brass block that connects the steel line normal flare to the pump/sump and the special flare on the top side to match the flex lines....

You will need two special head bolts that have the head drilled and tapped for the bolts of the bracket.....

Bob C

Svenn Ryen 12-11-12 10:39

Thanks Bob for the pictures.

I have the brass block and lines to it. Just missing the flexible lines. These are easy to get manufacutered, but how long are these overall?

Meassurements of the bracket would be perfect.

I plan to make those bolts from ordinary head bolts if I dont manage to get hold of these - how tall is the head on these bolts?

Cheers

Svenn

Phil Waterman 12-11-12 14:38

Parts Info

2 Attachment(s)
Hi

Bob, I have found most of the part numbers all the fittings and lines are Weatherhead/Eaton dug out the part numbers, the flex lines are Eaton 81430-16 and 81430-12 last two digits are the length so you can get the exact length after all the other fittings and lines are in place. NAPA number is WH 8143016 and WH813012 again last two digits are the length.

Is this the inverted flare fitting Attachment 53254you are talking about if so it is WH6100x4.

What I think we should try and do is get a good detail photo of the entire filter assembly, lines, fittings and try and plug in all the current part numbers or at least combinations of modern part that work. Here is a start.
Attachment 53255

The special head bolts on my truck seem to actually have been standard head bolts with another bolt welded to the head.

Cheers Phil

Svenn Ryen 18-11-12 22:34

Thanks for the hose parts numbers. Do you have # for the brass fitting making the hose fit the brass block?

Any meassurements for the bracket Bob?

Svenn

RichCam 26-11-12 21:54

Oil Filter Housing C-15A

3 Attachment(s)
Svenn,

Based on the replies, I dug around in a surplus box of engine components and I found what I think you are looking for.

I'll send you a PM.

Regards, Richard

Phil Waterman 26-11-12 21:59

I'm confirming the fitting numbers

Hi All

I've ordered some of the fittings which I think are the correct size, seemed to be the only way to be sure they matched. They should be in this week so once I get them I'll let you know the numbers.

Cheers Phil

Phil Waterman 14-01-13 21:55

Confirming the fitting numbers

Hi All

Sorry for the long delay but the fittings of course got back ordered then I for got to post them.

The Flex lines to the oil filter body are as previously mention -Weatherhead/Eaton dug out the part numbers, the flex lines are Eaton 81430-16 and 81430-12 last two digits are the length so you can get the exact length after all the other fittings and lines are in place. NAPA number is WH 8143016 and WH813012 again last two digits are the length.

The Inverted 1/4" tube flare Attachment 53254 is WH6100x4 or Eaton 6100x4 straight connector is 6200x4 and Elbow is 6400X4

The best source of brass fitting information I have found that are current is http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ...dev_216279.pdf it is a PDF document so you can use your PDF search feature (open document then Ctrl F) to search a fitting if you know the Eaton or Weatherhead part number. If you don't know the part number which is normal go to Brass Products starting on page 25 - 57 for pictures and dimensions with part numbers. Then jump down to pages 100-108 for the next section containing fittings used on CMPs.

Hope this help

Cheers Phil

Svenn Ryen 14-01-13 22:56

shipping issue

Thanks Phil. :rolleyes

Only need to find a place that ships NAPA parts overseas. Napaonline only ships within 48 upper states :whinge

Any advice or source apriciated.

Svenn

motto 14-01-13 23:52

Hi Sven

I take it that you have already procured a filter body and mounting bands but this information may be of use to others.
The filter shown in the Phil's linked HUP photos and Bob's thumbnails appears to be the military senior filter unit as used on the G-508 GMC CCKW 352 and 353. As such they should be available from suppliers of parts for these vehicles.

The filter element itself is quite readily available. I have cartons of them.

David

Phil Waterman 15-01-13 15:17

Look For Eaton instead

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svenn Ryen (Post 174508)
Thanks Phil. :rolleyes

Only need to find a place that ships NAPA parts overseas. Napaonline only ships within 48 upper states :whinge

Any advice or source apriciated.

Svenn

Hi Svenn

http://www.fastenal.com/web/location...nal&country=NL is the Fastenal Company they sell Eaton fittings.

If that doesn't work let me know and I look around.

I will also ask my local independent NAPA store owner if he knows any one who has set himself up to sell overseas.

Cheers Phil

Svenn Ryen 16-01-13 12:20

shipping

Thanks Phil! :)

I have registred my self at jetcarrier.com which is a firm that passes on good from USA to Norway.

Next problem I then stumbled on to is that the small brass fittings are not available at napaonline.com for shipping for some reason :giveup

Search goes on...

Svenn

Phil Waterman 16-01-13 14:43

One problem with buying fittings

Hi Svenn

I've run into the same problem here in the US with both Fastenal and Napaonline is they don't sell fittings individually. In fact with NAPA stores if you are not a regular customer they won't order in (1) fitting because they have to order bag of 10. Solution is that I end up buying the ten.

Fastenal won't sell the individual fittings period. Only sell the buy the bag. But the price is about what you would pay for half as many at the local hardware store.

I'll check with both my local NAPA and Fastenal see what can be done.

Tell me (us) more about jetcarrier.com do they have a English version of their website?

Cheers Phil

motto 16-01-13 21:50

I believe that some or all of the fittings you are looking for are common to the G-508 GMC. They may be closer than you think. Have you tried Rex Ward?

David

Svenn Ryen 17-01-13 00:14

Hi again.

Jetcarrier is a firm that has specialized in shipping from USA to the nordic contries for private persons. Since many online stores in the usa do not ship overseas, you get as a registred customer a "private" adress in New Jersey for orders, and then the firm will ship it overseas to you. Shipping cost is quite decent. :smoker:

They also ship cars, bikes, engines and so on.

I have never used them before, but will give them a try for the flexible oil lines perhaps, and try to get the fittings here in norway.

I will also check if parts for the GMW will do and see if these are more available. Thanks for the advice.

If nothing works out I will try to get someone to pass it on for me :bang:

Svenn

Jordan Baker 16-07-19 15:54

Just wondering if anyone can give me the measurements for the brass block? Also the hard oil lines from the engine to the block. Are they 1/4” OD?

Jordan Baker 18-07-19 13:28

Anyone? Just looking for the outside dimensions

Hanno Spoelstra 15-02-22 09:21

2 Attachment(s)
This one surfaced in Argentina

Attachment 127576

Attachment 127577