MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Lynx II, hull # 4225 (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21839)

charlie fitton 14-03-16 00:11

1 Attachment(s)
Odd that this one seems to show the clips in the slidey- bit - makes more sense...

chris vickery 14-03-16 17:09

Amazing that these are still available

Andrew Rowe 15-03-16 08:47

Slydlok Fuse

How many were you looking for , I think I have a couple of boxes of 15amp ones, do your cables come in from each end? cheers Andrew

Peter Duggan 15-03-16 21:40

Fuse holder

3 Attachment(s)
Andrew,

Thanks for your offer. I ordered a new SLYDLOK fuse holder and fuses from The Fuse Company of England yesterday. They no longer carry the old wire fuses or holder. Apparently the new ones are indistinguishable from the old ones and more reliable.
I am working on completing the electrical circuit and have no plans to work on an actual wireless installation in the near future.
However if you can share some pictures of your filter, fuse holder and wiring, I would appreciate it. My original reference picture before disassembly is less than perfect. I will have to also have fabricated a cover for the fuse holder since mine was missing.

Peter

Attachment 80501 Attachment 80502 Attachment 80503

Peter Duggan 20-03-16 00:27

Another piece of the puzzle

1 Attachment(s)
Guys,

When we retired to the County we were aware of its great wines and beautiful beaches. However I did not realize how many talented craftsmen live here as well. Dave Duguay of Picton took my sketches and measurements (Thanks Rob) and fabricated a new battery box. Some paint and cosmetic work and one missing component will installed on the Lynx. Crew compartment is rapidly shrinking.

Peter

Peter Duggan 02-04-16 01:34

Crew change

1 Attachment(s)
Folks,

Having an enjoyable visit with my American cousin. First lady to climb into the Lynx and try out the ergonomics, including the escape hatch. Much more nimble than I am.

Peter

Attachment 80815

Bruce Parker (RIP) 02-04-16 03:36

I'm encouraged to see women and armour do sometimes agree. My experience so far when I've needed daughter or wife to enter the vehicle for such things as hitting the starter or pumping the hydraulics it hasn't gone well. After the bruising or bleeding was quelled (hey, they ran into the sharp pointy things not me) I had to make it up with chores, flowers or diners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Duggan (Post 222622)
Folks,

Having an enjoyable visit with my American cousin. First lady to climb into the Lynx and try out the ergonomics, including the escape hatch. Much more nimble than I am.

Peter

Attachment 80815

chris vickery 02-04-16 04:33

Guess I'm lucky. My wife thinks my hobby is cool! If it has tracks, goes boom or otherwise she is all for it. She is looking forward to 3 days at Aberdeen MD this year and maybe a trip to the Findlay OH show. I told her they were offering chopper rides there this year on an authentic Vietnam Huey...

Peter Duggan 13-04-16 03:04

Latest and some family history

2 Attachment(s)
Folks,

Got some garage time and was able to assemble and wire the instrument panel. I had to use after market toggle switches, so I'm still looking for some NOS Ford toggle switches. Most of the wiring is now complete with the exception of the wiring outside of the hull. I'll have a professional double check my work before powering it up. Also received the Slydlok fuse holder and fuses. Fitted up nicely.

Peter

Attachment 81095 Attachment 81096

Peter Duggan 13-04-16 03:04

Latest and some family history

3 Attachment(s)
Folks,

I was inspired by Peter Mossong's post and decided to share some of my family history.
The first picture is of my father, Herrick Duggan, who served overseas from 1939 to 1945, with the 1st Survey Regiment in Sicily, Italy and NW Europe. It appears to be a training exercise "somewhere in England." Any help in determining the models of the CMPs would be appreciated. The last two include my son, Patrick Duggan, who served with the P.P.C.L.I., in Bosnia in 1993.

Peter

Attachment 81105

Attachment 81109 Attachment 81106

Hanno Spoelstra 13-04-16 09:55

Peter,

Great pics of your family!

The trucks are a 15-cwt 4x4, followed by a 8-cwt 4x2 truck - neither of which I can see if it is a Ford or Chev

Hanno

Alex van de Wetering 13-04-16 10:57

Excellent work again Peter.
Ford toggle switches recently came up in another thread on the forum.

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25458
Both Dirk Leegwater and Chris (Ferret) offer NOS sections of Ford wiring loom with 2 or 3 toggle switches included.

Now, where did you get that nice dash lamp? Apart from the hinging part it looks like the same type used on some cab 11 dashboards. My C8 still has the base of the lamp fitted, but the little shield and switch have long gone.

Alex

Lynn Eades 13-04-16 12:27

My question was the same. What is the source of the dash lamp?

Peter Duggan 13-04-16 14:57

Dash light

Alex and Lynn,
Stefan with LWD parts provided the dash light. I was able to salvage my original swinging bracket. The light assembly was labelled as something different. Peter

David Herbert 13-04-16 15:08

These hinged dash lamps were also used in Canadian carriers and as interior lights in Ram tanks.

David

Peter Duggan 21-04-16 03:12

Missing data plates

3 Attachment(s)
Guys,

All of the original data and information plates were missing off my Lynx and I'm attempting to have some reproductions made. Rick Cove provided me with some good pictures of the missing plates. I'm looking for the dimensions of these two plates. Rob Love confirmed that the plates are missing off the Shilo Lynx and I noted that the CWM Lynx is missing the gear shift information plate as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Peter

Attachment 81289

Attachment 81290

Attachment 81291

chris vickery 21-04-16 03:56

A nice project Peter that may be expensive.
The plates are galvanized I believe and are reverse stamped from the backside.
They may be cost prohibitive as each one is unique due to having to change the setup for each serial number.
The shift plate looks similar to CMP shift plates, I may be wrong on that but maybe LWD in Holland may have some.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 21-04-16 04:10

I bet this is perfect job for one of those new 3-D printers. They can now do metal as well as various plastics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris vickery (Post 223492)
A nice project Peter that may be expensive.
The plates are galvanized I believe and are reverse stamped from the backside.
They may be cost prohibitive as each one is unique due to having to change the setup for each serial number.
The shift plate looks similar to CMP shift plates, I may be wrong on that but maybe LWD in Holland may have some.

Terry Witiuk 21-04-16 04:42

Sublimated Plate/Tag

A reasonably priced option for the plates with printed text would be to get sublimated plates made up. I've used these on some of the picture framing that I've done where colour was needed rather than engraved letters on a brass plate. The letters/graphics are printed on the plate rather than engraved. There is usually a choice of plate material such as aluminum or brass in various finishes. Just need to create the artwork, save it as a PDF or JPEG and find an engraver/trophy shop that has or has access to this equipment.
Cheers, Terry.

Stew Robertson 22-04-16 02:11

The Shilo Lynx had all the data plate on when it went west
What a shame! :mad:

rob love 22-04-16 04:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stew Robertson (Post 223532)
The Shilo Lynx had all the data plate on when it went west
What a shame! :mad:

I only had a look for the shift plate, and not the data plate. I see no signs of it having been removed, such as a shadow in the interior paint where it might have been. I have done some exterior work and paint to the vehicle, and some mechanical and electrical, but no interior paint.

lynx42 22-04-16 06:34

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Duggan (Post 223491)
Guys,

All of the original data and information plates were missing off my Lynx and I'm attempting to have some reproductions made. Rick Cove provided me with some good pictures of the missing plates. I'm looking for the dimensions of these two plates. Rob Love confirmed that the plates are missing off the Shilo Lynx and I noted that the CWM Lynx is missing the gear shift information plate as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Peter

Attachment 81289

Attachment 81290

Attachment 81291

Here you go Peter. Hope this helps. The 'ID' plate has been trimmed unfortunately but not by much.

Attachment 81320

Regards Rick.

Peter Duggan 22-04-16 15:18

Instruction Plate

Rick,

Thank you. This is precisely what I was looking for.

Rob and Stew,

I wish to apologize for the confusion that I have created. I mistakenly used the term Data plate and Information plate, when I meant to refer to the Instruction plate with gear shift pattern and more. My fault alone.

Peter

Peter Duggan 29-04-16 23:17

Jigsaw puzzle

3 Attachment(s)
Guys,

Mocked up the radiator to figure out the shrouding and splash shield. These were fabricated out of light gauge metal and were badly rusted out. Was able to make templates and sketches, now to have them fabricated. The radiator splash shield may be a bit more challenging. Also got the radiator armour sandblasted and epoxy primed. Installation is just temporary and will have to be removed but it is coming together.

Peter

Attachment 81572

Attachment 81573

Attachment 81574

lynx42 30-04-16 09:30

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Duggan (Post 223944)
Guys,

Mocked up the radiator to figure out the shrouding and splash shield. These were fabricated out of light gauge metal and were badly rusted out. Was able to make templates and sketches, now to have them fabricated. The radiator splash shield may be a bit more challenging. Also got the radiator armour sandblasted and epoxy primed. Installation is just temporary and will have to be removed but it is coming together.

Peter

Attachment 81572

Attachment 81573

Attachment 81574

This was mine Peter, a bit better than yours thankfully.

Attachment 81603

Attachment 81604

Attachment 81605

The wavy bit should be straight, and the bowl pivots one one side and clips under at the other.

Regards Rick

Peter Duggan 30-04-16 14:58

Radiator splash shield

Rick,

Thank you very much for posting your pictures of the radiator splash shield. A picture is worth more than a thousand words. The only visual reference I had been able to find was a sketch in the Lynx operators manual. No references at all in the maintenance manuals.

If you have ready access to your shield, a sketch and dimensions of the domed access cover, would be great.

Thanks again. Made my day. Peter

lynx42 01-05-16 04:37

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Duggan (Post 223970)
Rick,

Thank you very much for posting your pictures of the radiator splash shield. A picture is worth more than a thousand words. The only visual reference I had been able to find was a sketch in the Lynx operators manual. No references at all in the maintenance manuals.

If you have ready access to your shield, a sketch and dimensions of the domed access cover, would be great.

Thanks again. Made my day. Peter

Hi Peter,

Took some measurements for you.

Attachment 81651

Attachment 81652

In the first on, the calipers are about 1/4" too wide as is the measurement on the tape, so take off 1/4". (5 1/2 not 5 3/4').

Attachment 81653

Attachment 81654

Dome height is 2 1/5".

More to come.

lynx42 01-05-16 04:56

4 Attachment(s)
The rim is 1/2" wide and as you can see is held by a rivet on the left side and slides under a keeper on the right.

Attachment 81655

Attachment 81656

Attachment 81657

Attachment 81658

More to come.

lynx42 01-05-16 05:02

4 Attachment(s)
The back edge fits snugly against the rear armour and another piece against the radiator to help direct the air flow past the engine.

Attachment 81659

Attachment 81660

Do you have the other shields which fit around the engine and help direct the warm air out underneath?

Attachment 81661

Left side.

Attachment 81662

Right side.

Regards Rick.

Peter Duggan 01-05-16 14:49

Wow

Rick,

Thank you very much. You've translated a lot of my guesswork into something real. Here I was concerned about what the two lower brackets for the oil cooler mounted to. You have provided me with lots of "food for thought".
I wasn't even aware of the additional shields that your Lynx 1 is provided with. There is no evidence of these on my Lynx 11.
A trip to the CWM in Ottawa is now in the books to view the setup on their Lynx 11.

I really appreciate the pictures and information. Peter