MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Speaking of Vegemite (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13337)

Keith Webb 23-08-09 00:02

Speaking of Vegemite

As I mentioned that wonderful elixir of life today in the Gracies thread I was horrified, shocked, saddened, enraged and a lot more adjectives to see this item:

Quote:

Pass the head jelly please
From Divine Caroline’s Pass the Head Jelly, Please: Ten Gag-Inducing Foods

Here’s the only one I’ve tried.

Head Cheese
Head cheese is a more appetizing way of saying “meat jelly,” which is various animal (usually a cow or pig) head bits set in gelatin with herbs and spices. In Europe, it’s used as sandwich filling.

It’s not bad, but I have to eat it between crackers so I can’t see what I’m eating.

Here are the other nine entries:

Black pudding (sausage made of congealed blood)
Sweetbread (stomach sweetbread is pancreas and throat sweetbread is thymus gland)
Lutefisk (whitefish that’s been dried and treated with lye)
Balut (duck or chicken eggs with almost-developed embryos inside)
Chitterlings (pig intestines that are stewed or fried)
Haggis (sheep organs mixed with grains, spices, and soup stock)
Dormouse Stew (this hearty soup consists of dormice or sometimes rats)
Vegemite (extracted from yeast and is used in the way we use peanut butter)
Ti?t Canh (duck blood and innards, chopped nuts, and herbs mixed together and cooled so that it congeals)
Anybody hungry?

Well frankly yes I am, but only for the Vegemite. Think I'll go and have some right now.

gjamo 23-08-09 00:32

Vegemite

A classic statement from Richard Stubbs on the ABC recently.

" Vegemite! you should just smear it on your ass and cut out the middle man"

Richard Coutts-Smith 23-08-09 04:01

I trust that he said "Arse", the ass being ;
1/ A small donkey, which would take gallons of the stuff.
2/ An Americans bum (as above)
Rich

hrpearce 23-08-09 08:55

On that list I've eaten haggis :ergh: and vegemite :) and VEGEMITE is the only one I'll continue to eat. :thup2: :cheers:

Bob Carriere 26-08-09 21:51

Add to the list.....

The French Canadian delicacy...... called "creton"..... which I make for Xmas each year...

It is made from the leaf lard of a pig...... anatomically speaking it is a leaf of very white fat located in the inner part of the pig's belly around the kidneys...... the fat has on one side a membrane....... fat is cut in cubes and rendered until 2 pounds of fat is reduced to about a cup of crackling... salt, pepper, a touch of clove and cinnamon and voila.... spread on bread and watch you Cholesterol go up......

On the other hand, I have seen my grand mother make head cheese from a pig's head...cut in half.... washing the snoot and pulling the teeth out before boiling it...... and collecting pig's blood for "blood pudding" aka black sausage..... never could get hungty enough to eat it......

Bottom line we are all scavengers.........

BooB

Keith Webb 30-09-09 13:22

Renamed vegemite

Someone has redone the old Hitler set piece to the theme of the newly named vegemite product. Very clever.... Link here.

Ganmain Tony 01-10-09 02:33

The eating of Vegemite

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Webb (Post 118065)
As I mentioned that wonderful elixir of life today in the Gracies thread I was horrified, shocked, saddened, enraged and a lot more adjectives to see this item:

Well frankly yes I am, but only for the Vegemite. Think I'll go and have some right now.

I'm certain if you're putting it on toast you wont be putting it on in the same proportion as peanut butter. Mein Gott! (yes I did watch you tube) :thup2:

Perhaps they should put portion instructions on the label.

Lynn Eades 01-10-09 03:48

2nd gen

There is second generation Vegemite hitting the market, called "Snack 2.0" .....A bit of a stupid name I think.
I wonder if it tastes any better? It might even be as good as "MARMITE" ...... I doubt it.