MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Post-war Military Vehicles (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   LAV3 Monument program (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22853)

Hans Mulder 07-11-14 00:29

LAV3 Monument program

Does your community have a place to put it and $20k?

http://lavmonument.ca/en/index.html

chris vickery 07-11-14 02:05

Can I get one for my front lawn?

Scott Bentley 07-11-14 02:43

Pity they couldn't even get the LAV correct on the website. The graphic shown is a US Marine LAV-25 :(

Bill Alexander 07-11-14 12:40

Just a question, why a replica??? Why not a de-commissioned vehicle?

charlie fitton 07-11-14 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Alexander (Post 202161)
Just a question, why a replica??? Why not a de-commissioned vehicle?

It mostly is a de-commissioned vehicle.

f

Hanno Spoelstra 07-11-14 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie fitton (Post 202162)
It mostly is a de-commissioned vehicle

Indeed, quote from website: "LAV III Monuments will be built from actual Canadian Armed Forces LAV IIIs with all functional components removed".

H.

David Dunlop 07-11-14 16:46

Hmmmmm…

Step 1: Obtain a Memorial for your front lawn.

Step 2: Watch Crown Assets sales for the disposal of the functional components.

Has potential. :devil:

David

rob love 07-11-14 23:57

You pay shipping from London Ontario, so the further you are away, the more it costs. The pad has to be done to their specs. If they are like other monuments released lately, the wheels will not turn, so you are paying for cranes. And if Ottawa gets a whiff that you are adding components, you will be paying the reverse shipping back to them.

The LAV6 conversions are presently coming out. I'm not sure if the hull components are the results of the conversions, and being salvaged for these monuments, or if the CF is reducing it's LAV fleet by 250.

Edwin Wand 08-11-14 17:02

LAV 3 Sighting

Friday November 7, 2014
Sighted 2 LAV3s being transported west near Whitby on the 401. Couldn't make out the name of the carrier. Perhaps going to London?

Darrell Zinck 11-11-14 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Bentley (Post 202155)
Pity they couldn't even get the LAV correct on the website. The graphic shown is a US Marine LAV-25 :(

Hi Scott

Could be a 'yote. Technically a LAV II. :D

http://www.gdlscanada.com/images/pro...a_cropped.jpeg

http://www.gdlscanada.com/index.php/...i-coyote-bison

regards
Darrell

Scott Bentley 11-11-14 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell Zinck (Post 202320)
Could be a 'yote. Technically a LAV II. :D

True... I thought about that after the fact but couldn't imagine them giving the Dragoons so much of the glory :)

Stewart Loy 11-11-14 23:16

From today's paper ...

Gents,

My wife was in to the dentist this morning, and saw this in the local paper:

Quote:

MONUMENTS
Replicas of London-made vehicles will be offered to cities across Canada 6

By Norman DeBono, The London Free Press
Monday, November 10, 2014 10:30:15 EST PM

London-made light-armoured vehicles will roll out across the country as a tribute to Canada’s armed forces.

Replicas of the LAV III, the iconic rolling armour visible throughout the war in Afghanistan, are being offered to communities and businesses across Canada as a monument, to be displayed in parks or community settings, much like the Holy Roller tank on display in Victoria Park in London.

“We are very proud of the fact we build the LAV IIIs, the best armoured vehicles in the world

. . . a powerful symbol of the deployment of Canadian soldiers in conflict,” said Ken Yamashita, spokesperson for General Dynamics Land Systems (GDLS) Canada, which makes the armour.

“They are built by Canadians for Canadians. It is a powerful symbol being sent out to various communities.”

Canada Company, a non-profit Ottawa-based agency that supports armed forces personnel, is spearheading the program, offering 250 vehicles costing anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000, depending on where they have to be shipped.

Assembly will begin in the new year and replica LAVs will go on display in the spring.

It’s a true London community effort. The replicas will be made from spare parts of light-armoured vehicles now at the GDLS Canada plant on Oxford St., and will be assembled by Fanshawe College technology students.

GDLS has parts available because it’s upgrading the Canadian fleet. Any unavailable parts will be manufactured by Fanshawe students. The replica vehicles will be painted at Militex on Huron St.

“In addition to this being a learning opportunity, we have the opportunity to participate in a huge demonstration of respect for the contributions made in Afghanistan,” said Vertha Coligan, dean of technology at Fanshawe.

Students in welding, manufacturing technologies and engineering programs will participate.

“It’s a fantastic program. We are getting a lot of interest already from municipalities,” said Donna Mills, a spokesperson for Canada Company.

The replicas, essentially a shell of an exisitng LAV, will be moved by rail or flat bed to communities wanting one, she added.

The project is the brainchild of Tom Jenkins, chief executive of Open Text, the Waterloo-based software company that engaged Canada Company in the effort, Mills said.

London Mayor Joni Baechler said the city should consider buying one of the monuments and placing it in a prominent site to honour London workers and veterans. “It is an opportunity to have a touchstone for our veterans who have served,” she said.

norman.debono@sunmedia.ca
I will see what they are saying at the plant when I get back in the morning after taking the day off to remember.

Stewart

jason meade 12-11-14 01:35

I think I will wait for the real one, replicas scare me.

Bob Phillips 18-06-15 14:30

Heads up!!

New full page ad in the Globe & Mail How your community can apply for a LAVIII monument to commemorate Afghan war vets.b
Apparently these will be " full size replicas" whatever that means.. I assume that means stripped vehicles weld ed shut ?? Anybody know any more??
check out lavmonument.ca

rob love 18-06-15 14:50

Gutted, portions of the armour replaced, freshly painted. You pay 10K for the LAV, transport from GDL, and have to make the pad according to their specs. Total outlay could be around $40K, depending on your distance from London ON.

At least these were the terms when it was discussed about a year back. I had heard rumblings that the program was on hold due to US state department concerns, but that may have just been rumour.

I have not spotted any yet, has anyone?

Museums are being offerred runners or monuments.

peter simundson 18-06-15 15:08

We've applied.........

Originally no cost was discussed other than building a
suitable base. Then it went to
$10.000, now it is $15,000 plus plus. I have asked for a final price
and can't get a reply. This will eliminate a lot of small Legions
and Museums that have signed up.
The vehicles are totally stripped, inside and out. No lights, no tool brackets of any kind, front hatch eliminated and flat pieces everywhere.

I will post a picture later today.

Peter S

peter simundson 18-06-15 19:26

LAV Photo

Stripped inside and out. No lights etc. Nothing

Price now over $40000.00

Make all cheques payable to Canada Company.

Peter S

charlie fitton 19-06-15 01:12

15 k, likely subsidized..apply now and get in the pool for one.

irst town to be announced tomorrow (Friday).

Darrell Zinck 19-06-15 22:51

Hi

And the first town is...................Oromocto!!

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1559...ission-lav-iii

:doh:

At least Fredericton will get a real vehicle in the form of a Leo C2.....if they sign the agreement. :D

regards
Darrell

Hans Mulder 23-06-15 20:34

Loved those pics from Australia of the Leo monuments being placed. Would love to see a few of those around here.

charlie fitton 23-06-15 21:25

please let me try to ease the sting of the nay-sayers...

It can be done...there are a lot of major sponsors on board. These sponsors and the money put up by the communities will average out many of the costs.

Our city councils are very supportive and have offered up a large portion of the funding. Local support in the building industry will be used to move the vehicles, for crane services, and to build the pads.

The spark for the project (Tom Jenkins) is the HCol for the RHFC. Many of the initial planning team are on the Regimental council. (including me)

Also including Bernie Melloul (of Melloul/Blamey Construction), who's company did the engineering for the pads. Two options - flat pad and rough terrain. These drawings will be provided and use 'em or don't.

Fred-town got the first...and we won't get one soon for the reasons stated above...

Darrell Zinck 23-06-15 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie fitton (Post 211150)
...Fred-town got the first...

:confused

Clearly the article in the link that I posted states it is Oromocto and not Fredericton. Am I mistaken?

Quote:

...Today at the Oromocto Cenotaph the Make Fredericton First team, together with Minister O'Toole and Brian MacDonald, MLA for Fredericton West-Hanwell, dedicated the site for the monument...
(my bolds and underlines)

And I am not a naysayer but rather just wondering why a town in close proximity to a large CAF Base needs a reminder that Canada has a military! As well, there is a move to have Fredericton receive a Leo I C2 soon. Part of RCAC 75th this year.

regards
Darrell

Jack Innes 02-07-15 21:44

Has any programme been set up to address tires on these monuments?

A tracked vehicle needs a bit of paint once in a while to look respectable. But numerous tires in various degrees of deflation & rotting from the sun will look less than impressive & could pose an expensive burden on the custodians down the road.

Many of the vehicles at Borden are on stands but the visible rotting of the current production rubber cannot be hidden as time goes on.

Darrell Zinck 20-06-16 13:54

Quote:

RELEASED UNDER THE AUTHORITY OF COMMANDER 5 CDSG / DIFFUSÉ AVEC L’AUTORISATION DU COMMANDANT DU GS 5 DIV CA

LAV III Dedication Ceremony

The Town of Oromocto will be hosting a Light Armoured Vehicle (LAV) III Dedication Ceremony on Wednesday 22 June at 1400 hrs near the Oromocto Cenotaph (located on Macdonald Avenue, across the street from the Oromocto Mall).

The LAV III Monument Program recognizes the service and sacrifice of the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan by providing full-size demilitarized replica LAV IIIs to qualifying communities throughout Canada.

Oromocto will be the very first Canadian community to unveil a LAV III Monument.

This event is open to the public and all are welcome to attend.

A reception with light refreshments will follow at the Hazen Park Centre.

I saw the vehicle on it's pad this passed weekend. I'll try and add some pictures later this week.

regards
Darrell

maple_leaf_eh 21-06-16 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell Zinck (Post 211151)
: ....

And I am not a naysayer but rather just wondering why a town in close proximity to a large CAF Base needs a reminder that Canada has a military! As well, there is a move to have Fredericton receive a Leo I C2 soon. Part of RCAC 75th this year.

regards
Darrell

Coming late to the party, but there are strings of communities across Canada which were once unassailable hosts to major (and minor) defence installations, which are now no more.

Darrell Zinck 04-05-17 19:20

3 Attachment(s)
Hi

Couldn't really get a good picture this winter!! :rolleyes

Anyways, this i s what I snapped today.

regards
Darrell

Robin Craig 05-05-17 00:03

Is that in on a DND site or public land?

Perry Kitson 05-05-17 00:06

The 1ST Hussars here in London dedicated a LAV III in Sarnia last fall to the tune of $62,000. That was an all in price for the LAV, pad, transport, crane and a fund to provide for future paint and upkeep. All the parts that are removed are carefully controlled and destroyed, lest some miscreant gets his hands on one and takes over the world.

Perry

Darrell Zinck 05-05-17 05:31

Hi Robin

I guess the town owns the land, not sure. Not Base property as far as I know.

It is in the field beside the war memorial and post office , across from the mall.

Hi Perry

Where did they put it? At the Armoury? Is the Sherman "Calamity" still in Sarnia?

Current locations of these monuments:

http://lavmonument.ca/en/monument-locations/index.html

regards
Darrell

Robin Craig 05-05-17 12:10

Darrell, the reason I ask is, from what I understand, these monuments are outside the DND asset system that people call "The DA" or Distribution Account.

There is a policy that only item on the DA are allowed as monuments on DND property.

As a result there is an administrative bun fight ongoing in eastern Ontario between DND and a LAV monument. The monument has been in the area for over a year and the fight continues.

I would however say that if I were in that fight I would use the M74 monument as my leverage to the the LAV installed.