MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   U. Carrier Mk1 Aerial Mast Insulator for sale (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11811)

Jordan Baker 01-10-08 23:21

U. Carrier Mk1 Aerial Mast Insulator for sale

3 Attachment(s)
I have made a limited run of 6 of the Aerial Mast Insulator for the Mk1 Universal Carrier.

These are made very close to the originals and made to look like stamped metal. However the best part about them is that they feature the distinctive cast rubber insulator just like the originals. This was molded off of an original so it features all the cracks and worn away parts. The nice part about the rubber is that it is UV safe so it will not deteriorate like the originals do out in the sun.

The price is $80 each as there is a large amount of metal work involved. Shipping is extra. All prices in Canadian funds.

If your interested please PM or email me.

As of now I only have 4 unspoken for so contact me quickly before they are gone

Jordan Baker 02-10-08 02:35

Only 3 unspoken for

Jordan Baker 05-10-08 03:35

Two are now left.

Jordan Baker 06-10-08 13:59

I only have one left

Jordan Baker 13-11-08 02:51

Just to let everyone know these parts are now made. I have shipped off the brackets to those that wanted one.

Thankyou for supporting me in this little project.

For anyone still interested or possibly contemplating it. I only have 1 remaining bracket. I will not be making these again. Please PM or send me an email if your interested.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 13-11-08 03:02

Sold if you still have it

Fits with that 11 set project I just e-mailed you about. Should have looked here first THEN emailed you....

Jordan Baker 13-11-08 03:16

Well folks it looks like the brackets are all gone. if anything changes on the last one (its on hold for another member) I will post it up.

Thanks again for supporting my efforts. You will be pleased.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 13-11-08 03:36

Next?

1 Attachment(s)
I imagine everyone who got one of your brackets will be needing one of these. When does the production run begin?

Jordan Baker 13-11-08 03:52

Show off. I wish I had one of those but then Id need the WS11. That would be possible to reproduce in resin but it would be expensive due to the mold making and all the little bits.

Lynn Eades 13-11-08 09:49

Aerial

Bruce,
Do you have any details on the aerial that fits that mount? ie, the over all length of it, any photos, and any possible source. I know the hole is 7/8". What does the bottom of the aerial look like?
And lastly, (Jordan mentioned the ws11) what radio set up did it go with?
Thanks in advance.

Bruce MacMillan 13-11-08 19:11

I have an original vertical aerial and the canvas bag for them. They are 3' sections.
Normal use was 2 sections (6') or 3 sections if the top hat was used. The bottom section had a small rain collar just above the mount to keep rain out of the socket. I can send you photos if you like.

Lynn - the WS11 was a complete system by itself. It was developed prior to 1939 and used up to about 1942 when the WS19 replaced it. It was configured many ways - ground, vehicle, pack mount, etc. It was what the LRDG used.

originally made in England but also made in Canada (mine is Canadian Marconi) and Australia.

Jordan Baker 14-11-08 01:35

For those that have bought these from me there is one bit of work you will need to do before fitting them on your UC. I only drilled the lower mounting hole and you will need to drill the upper one. The reason for this was that I had different measurments for the holes and didn't want it to be off from what your hull has with the result of an oval hole.

Interesting talk about the WS11 sets by the way.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 14-11-08 03:34

11 set

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a Canadian made (Marconi 1941) No.11 set. The British ones were similar except for a black face. Also, here is a photo of the 11 set adapter base used in Mk. 1 carriers. I think all Mk.1's left the factory with this base as well as the folding aerial base on the rear right corner. Mounting a 19 set required a kit and a series of adaptations.

horsa 14-11-08 05:27

For adapting a No 19 set to the mount that Bruce showed in his second photo, you need four shock mounts which each have two lower bolt holes. Two mounts go on each end where you can see bolts in that photo. Tops of each mount have a single hole so four total and the carrier plate for the No 19 set fits there with the wireless having a wide webbing strap to hold it to the carrier plate.

Interesting to see now why some things were done the way they were with the mounts.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 14-11-08 06:08

That would do...

1 Attachment(s)
...but the 'official' way was to remove that base and install one that was made from two channels with flat plates welded to either end. The wireless set fastened to this 'adapter' by four shock mounts with the supply unit on top like this:

horsa 14-11-08 16:11

Some USA Vehicle Mountings

Shot below is how the No 19 set was sometimes mounted in USA armoured vehicles that used British equipment. Parts of this setup originated in a WWII M4 installation kit. Not sure what other options the Sherman tanks had with earlier wireless sets if they used them.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...6/Wireless.jpg

Lynn Eades 16-11-08 20:29

Bruce Mac.

I would love to see the details including the measuements of each section of the aeriel, and the "rain hat"
This is my last visit to the forum until I can get set up at our new residence, so it may be a week or two before I can respond.
Thanks, both Bruces, and others.