MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Carrier vision glass glass size (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31211)

Tom Millward 20-05-20 13:38

Carrier vision glass glass size

Hello to you all. I hope you are all well and staying safe.

Can anyone tell me the size of the vision glass on the Canadian Carrier. I am missing two pieces on my Carrier and I have a piece of correct looking Perspex which was about to be thrown away, but I thought I could use it as an interim until I can get glass cut, but Carrier is an hour away and I am in lock down still.

Many thanks.

Tom

Lynn Eades 20-05-20 21:20

The glass is 4.5mm thick. Take the frame to the glass cutter. It has two rounded corners and two square corners.

David Herbert 21-05-20 12:16

Michael, It looks as if the radiused corners of the glass will leave a small gap to each bottom corner of the frame. Is that really the case ? Surely a much smaller radius would prevent a pressure point but still overlap the frame ?
I agree about the risk of new laminated glass deteriorating so personally I would go for 10mm thick ordinary glass or failing that plexiglass (perspex in the UK) though that will get microcracks in the surface unless protected from sunlight.

David

rob love 21-05-20 13:33

I have installed the last few glass using RTV (Silicone) to hold it in the frame. That waterproofs the frame, otherwise I have found that they will collect water and eventually rust through. Not that most of leave them outdoors for long periods of time anymore...

Michael R. 21-05-20 16:18

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Herbert (Post 269726)
. . . (paraphrased) It looks as if the radiused corners of the glass will leave a small gap to each bottom corner of the frame. Is that really the case ? Surely a much smaller radius would prevent a pressure point but still overlap the frame ?
I agree about the risk of new laminated glass deteriorating so personally I would go for 10mm thick ordinary glass or failing that plexiglass (perspex in the UK) though that will get microcracks in the surface unless protected from sunlight.
David

I see how it does appear the radius will leave a gap. In practice it does not.

I have mislead you with my poor dimensions description: two panes of glass, total + - 5mm.

Lynn Eades 22-05-20 08:45

Well I told a porky! :giveup
I measured carefully my "?L41" and "Triplex" marked glass and it is exactly 4.60 mm thick (not 4.5) I assume this will be an original British glass carefully cut out with an axe!(by the look of it)
Both layers of glass are the same thickness. I remembered it was thinner than normal auto glass because I asked a mate (in the glass game) to cut me some. He told me that I couldn't buy that thickness here. He did however cut me some screens from glass salvaged from an early British built car (Morris Minor or some such)
The Australian pattern carriers use thicker glass.

Tom Millward 24-05-20 22:52

Thanks for your replies gents, I think I’ll go down the Perspex route for now. Found some suppliers On the web who’ll cut 10mm Perspex to size, so will just need to round the corners off.

I’ll replace with glass when I can find some originals.

Stay safe.

David Herbert 24-05-20 23:13

NO TOM !!!

I had misunderstood the thickness too. From the above it seems that the original thickness was a TOTAL of 4.6mm.

David

Lynn Eades 24-05-20 23:28

David, Tom's carrier is a Canadian MkI (*) U.C. and Michael R's screen frames and screens are original. It would be the British ones which (early on at least) were slightly thinner. I believe the frames are the same for practical purposes. The hole sizes vary, the shapes vary, the radius on the rounded ends of the flat steel varies, the distance from the ends that the holes are varies
I do agree however, that 10mm thick perspex will be difficult to fit in a 5.5mm slot. :devil:

Tom Millward 24-05-20 23:55

Oops, I miss read that, thank you David and Lynn, you saved me an unnecessary purchase there.

So, it should be 4.5mm that I need if going down a single piece Perspex or laminated glass.

Lynn Eades 25-05-20 05:36

Tom. Measure the inside of your frame. I think anything around 5mm to 5.5mm will work.
Sorry if I have complicated this for you. :doh:

Tom Millward 25-05-20 08:57

No problem Lynn, my Carrier is an hour away from my house and I am locked down at the moment, so I’m grateful for the help and information.

Hoping to pick the Carrier up soon, so I can work on it from home.