MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   GM Otter with the RAF Regt in India / Burma in WW2 (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3280)

Larry Hayward 25-01-05 01:18

GM Otter with the RAF Regt in India / Burma in WW2

James Gosling's thread reminded me that my father in law drove a GM Otter with the RAF Regt in Burma during the war (in addition to other CMP trucks) and from his recollection his Otter had twin Brownings in the turret (either 0.30 or 0.50 - he could not remember). Has anyone seen a photo of such vehicles in the Far East in use with the RAFR, as I have never been able to find one?

His vehicle was, as he remembers, olive drab all over without any disruptive camouflage - to which a pair of girls legs in stockings was painted on the near side front hull beside the side door. At one time two Japanese sculls were also fixed to each of the front fenders!

I know my father in law was with 2966 Sqn RAF Regiment but I did not think this unit had armoured vehicles so perhaps he served with another unit prior to 2966.

Larry Hayward

Larry Hayward 07-02-05 00:49

GM Otters with RAF Regiment

1 Attachment(s)
I have had a search through some of the old threads and one by Hanno shows various A/Cs in use by the RAF- presumably in the desert. The one of the Otter shows them without turrets and additional armament. See attached photo from this link:-

http://uk.msnusers.com/RAFArmdCarCom...nw?albumlist=2

I suspect this is what they looked like in RAF service in Burma but has anyone got a clearer shot of the weapons mounting for RAF Otters?

Hanno Spoelstra 07-02-05 21:59

Re: GM Otters with RAF Regiment

Quote:

Originally posted by Larry Hayward
The one of the Otter shows them without turrets and additional armament.
Larry, I had not noticed this turretless Otter when I first looked at that website. Thanks for hauling it out of oblivion!

H.

Hanno Spoelstra 17-11-18 23:01

RAF Regiment Otter in Italy

1 Attachment(s)
Photo caption IWM (CNA 3672):
Quote:

Sergeant G H Wingate of No. 2908 Field Squadron RAF Regiment sitting in the turret of an Otter light reconnaissance car in Athens, after being awarded the Military Medal for his actions during an engagement with German troops in northern Greece. On 28 October 1944, 2908 Squadron were pursuing retreating Germans to the Yugoslavian border. An armoured car driven by Sergeant (then Corporal) Wingate was reconnoitering enemy positions at Kozani when it came under fire from a 37mm anti-tank gun and received several direct hits, wounding Wingate and killing his Flight Commander, Flying Officer J H Dennis. Despite the enemy fire and his wounds, Wingate managed to extricate the badly damaged vehicle and reach safety.
Attachment 103568

Tony Smith 18-11-18 00:01

Should this photo be in the "Original tyres" thread? :)

David Dunlop 18-11-18 02:00

Is that a straight diagonal tread pattern on the front left tyre? Don’t think I have ever seen that before.

David

Bruce Parker (RIP) 18-11-18 03:16

Three of four tires are different, I'd feel better knowing the forth is different again. Two clear headlights instead only one, and no blackout on either. It looks like one British and one Canadian mirror. A white armoured shield over the front diff again? And a bridge class of 12? Really? What do they keep in the back of that thing? Padlock on the rear bin is not the as-issued Corbin.

rob love 18-11-18 04:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dunlop (Post 255843)
Is that a straight diagonal tread pattern on the front left tyre? Don’t think I have ever seen that before.

David

I have one of those tires presently on an artillery rim, courtesy Gordy Falk.

Hanno Spoelstra 18-11-18 09:49

Note the name “Kittyhawk” next to the driver’s visor.