MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   "Jerry" window (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6937)

Rob Fast 12-09-06 21:50

"Jerry" window

1 Attachment(s)
I just found a very complete 3 year diary of a 151/406 Lynx Squadron member on Mosquito's. This nice little piece marked "Jerry Window", was inside along with every piece of paper/documents/train/theater/dance/rail tickets etc... I have never seen a piece of window before.

Hanno Spoelstra 12-09-06 23:08

Re: "Jerry" window

Rob, quite a find!

I always thought "window" was made up from plain aluminium foil, but it seems to have a paper backing.

H.

Phil Waterman 12-09-06 23:53

Seen this stuff all over the ground

When I was a kid in the fifties there was an area of New Hampshire that was covered with the foil chaff they used for radar jamming. If you went walking through the woods you would find it all over the ground. MIT did testing during the war in that area in fact the Coast and Geodetic Maps marked the area as restricted air space it was about 50 miles northwest of Boston.

mike mckinley 13-09-06 01:58

hi rob

i have a very similar collection which belonged to my wifes' grand father, minus the foil. his journey home begins in england and between the rail tickets, meal vouchers, board vouchers, and yes, a postcard from the dutchess of bedford, we can trace his journey home. it's really great to be able to put all the peices together once in a while!!

with another uncle who returned from overseas i have a triangular banner that is from the r.m.s. aquitania, with a pic of the ship and the blue ribbons...fascinating stuff!!

cheers!!
mike

Rob Fast 13-09-06 02:15

It appears he enjoyed the ladies!

1 Attachment(s)
Beautiful!

Rob Fast 13-09-06 02:19

His Beaver Club card...

1 Attachment(s)
Underground Lines 1943 London, Leave Passes Raf Alder Manston and RCAF pass 113 Sqn. Sydney N.S.

Jon Skagfeld 13-09-06 03:14

Cunard liner "Aquitania"

Quote:

Originally posted by mike mckinley
hi rob

i have a very similar collection which belonged to my wifes' grand father, minus the foil. his journey home begins in england and between the rail tickets, meal vouchers, board vouchers, and yes, a postcard from the dutchess of bedford, we can trace his journey home. it's really great to be able to put all the peices together once in a while!!

with another uncle who returned from overseas i have a triangular banner that is from the r.m.s. aquitania, with a pic of the ship and the blue ribbons...fascinating stuff!!

cheers!!
mike

Among other troop ship movements of the Aquitania was the lift of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry into Gallipoli, 1915.

In 1942, the Aquitania moved the 39th Australian Division to Port Moresby in order to fend off the Japanese invasion of New Guinea.

Many more troop ship events took place with Aquitania bearing its load.

Of more personal importance to me is the the fact that Aquitania docked on 7 February 1947, at Pier 21, Halifax, Nova Scotia, with me on board!

mike mckinley 13-09-06 04:13

hi jon

if the pendant weren't so large, i'd scan it and post it for you. i havn't done much research on the aquitania as of yet, but your posting is very interesting. i think it survived until 1953, then met the torch. shame, the old four stack steamers were something special.

as for ms phyllis dixey, she made a movie around 1949...at least that's what google says :smoker: mike

Tony Smith 13-09-06 04:55

Re: Cunard liner "Aquitania"

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
In 1942, the Aquitania moved the 39th Australian Division to Port Moresby in order to fend off the Japanese invasion of New Guinea.

Many more troop ship events took place with Aquitania bearing its load.

39th Battalion CMF, not Division.

Jon Skagfeld 13-09-06 16:05

Re: Re: Cunard liner "Aquitania"

Quote:

Originally posted by Tony Smith
39th Battalion CMF, not Division.
Tony, you're absolutely right!...and me in the middle of reading "Kokoda".