MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Identification of Gen-set needed (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28587)

Niels V 19-02-18 18:01

Identification of Gen-set needed

5 Attachment(s)
Hi
I have just acquired this generator set, but I need some help identifying the manufacturer and age ? The large data plate on the flywheel housing is too rusted to give any answers
If possible where do I find a manual and parts, maybe a carburettor and definitely condensators

Attachment 98106 Attachment 98109 Attachment 98110 Attachment 98107 Attachment 98108

Robin Craig 19-02-18 19:13

I am not a generator knowledgeable person but this thread might help you

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12391

Chris Suslowicz 20-02-18 00:00

It looks like the standard British "Charging Set 300 Watt, ED" that someone has painted white.

Could be either 15 volt or 30 volt output, depending on age. (WW2 up to 1970s).

Chris.

Niels V 20-02-18 08:20

could be Chris, I took the cage of yesterday and the bolts where Whitworth, and the brass plate says WD serial no

Luke R 20-02-18 09:52

I'm guessing Johnson chore horse?

charlie fitton 20-02-18 14:09

I'm with luke on this one...but there are a few wee changes..

a thing of rare beauty, regardless

Maurice Donckers 20-02-18 14:57

could be a British BSA version as well

Wayne Hingley 25-02-18 00:43

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Niels V (Post 247983)
Hi
I have just acquired this generator set, but I need some help identifying the manufacturer and age ? The large data plate on the flywheel housing is too rusted to give any answers
If possible where do I find a manual and parts, maybe a carburettor and definitely condensators

Hi Niels,
See photos below. I have a 1958 Canadian Army manual for a generator set that looks to be a match to your unit. The cover is a bit dirty, but otherwise the manual is in great condition (38 pages). Let me know if you are interested in more details.

guy labbe 25-02-18 14:00

I think it is a post war BSA unit, if you look at the picture of the chore horse then you can see that the box with the Amp meter is slightly smaller on the Canadian unit .There is a extra bit added on the lift side of the white one,

Richard Farrant 25-02-18 14:08

The clues to it being a BSA set are there in the picture, a Joe Lucas ammeter and the little plate on generator cover with 'WD Serial no' and generator makers initials on it.

Niels V 26-02-18 09:21

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks all for the help.
So it seems to be a wartime BSA
I had a look the busted condenser's and they are date June 44.

Neil Ashley 04-03-18 15:29

The earliest reference found so far to war-time manufactured BSA Chorehorses is an exhibition presumably immeadiately post war where a Chorehorse is visiable in a photogragh. The assumption is that BSA manufacture started very late or post-war so if yours is definitly war-time dated you have a very rare example. Can you show the dates on the components which may of course be use of components still in storage.

Canadian models also have aluminum fuel tanks up to steel on british ones.

Niels V 04-03-18 19:15

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Neil
I think mine is a iron fuel tank but will check,
here is the best picture I could get of one of the dates compnents.
The original paint i can find is a bit lighter and more dull than the post was sets I have seen
Cheers

charlie fitton 05-03-18 12:38

Odd the way things happen around this site...Never saw a Genny like this before, and now another shows up in Belguim.

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28643

Neil Ashley 05-03-18 12:53

The one on this thread is another Canadian model. British ones are very common in the UK as manufacture continued presumably into the 1960's but Canadian examples are rare. I loaded a skip full Canadian Chorehorses a few years ago which feature on a thread on this site, but they were all past saving and incomplete.

tankbarrell 05-03-18 13:45

I have a Canadian example, given to me many years ago by a friend of my father who had it on his boat. He couldn't get it to start so threw it out as a lost cause. He had a good spark so cleaned the carb , making a new flange gasket when refitting it.

Having forgotten to cut the centre hole in the gasket, he was certainly making it hard for himself......

guy labbe 05-03-18 13:46

I have few of these , 2 BSA ones and presumably post war and two war time Canadian chore horses .
There is one of the chore horses at a friend his place that I need to pick up.

Neil Ashley 05-03-18 14:23

The actual design is pre-war so purchased basically off the shelf.

Makes you wonder what agreement BSA had with Johnsons to manufacture.

https://www.yumpu.com/no/document/vi...uc-enterprises

Alastair Thomas 02-05-21 17:52

Chore horse ID

3 Attachment(s)
I have a UK built Chore Horse (going by the BSF and BA fixings).
Can anyone tell me the manufacturer? The identification plate has the logo "LsE".
I am in the process of stripping it down and found the petrol tank full of a rusty fibrous material. I realised after a while that a previous owner had made the engine block/petrol tank gasket without removing the middle. This had collapsed and was returning to its maker.

Alastair
F60S LAAT
Lynx I MkIII*

Chris Suslowicz 02-05-21 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Thomas (Post 278549)
I have a UK built Chore Horse (going by the BSF and BA fixings).
Can anyone tell me the manufacturer? The identification plate has the logo "LsE".
I am in the process of stripping it down and found the petrol tank full of a rusty fibrous material. I realised after a while that a previous owner had made the engine block/petrol tank gasket without removing the middle. This had collapsed and was returning to its maker.

Alastair
F60S LAAT
Lynx I MkIII*

You may find the gasket was original; I had the same problem back in the 1970s with one straight out of MoD stores.

One warning: the gasket is asbestos, so bag it up safely and dispose of it properly.

Chris.