MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Blitz Semi length (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13609)

Lionelgee 15-10-09 08:44

Blitz Semi length

Hello MLU

Just wondering if modifications were made to Blitz trucks that were used to haul semi-trailers? Would they have extended the bed of the truck or not?

Kind Regards
Lionel

cliff 15-10-09 10:50

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionelgee (Post 120521)
Hello MLU

Just wondering if modifications were made to Blitz trucks that were used to haul semi-trailers? Would they have extended the bed of the truck or not?

Kind Regards
Lionel

the tractor units did not have beds as such Lionel as they were more or less cab/chassis only with a frame to hold a semi permanent fifth wheel set up for the trailer. This is seen fairly clearly in the photo below which is from the Queensland Libary Collection and shows a Military parade through Brisbane. No quick release fifth wheel as there is today. :teach:

Tony Smith 15-10-09 12:49

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cliff (Post 120525)
This is seen fairly clearly in the photo below which is from the Queensland Libary Collection and shows a Military parade through Brisbane.

Crikey! I hope they turned off the Tramway Catenary for that parade. What sort of clearance is between the LC on the trailer and the wiring? :eek:

Lionel, here's a pic of the trailer coupling turned upside down on top of another semi. These were permanently u-bolted to the chassis of the tow unit.

Lionelgee 16-10-09 04:17

Looks like I slipped up again

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliff (Post 120525)
the tractor units did not have beds as such Lionel as they were more or less cab/chassis only with a frame to hold a semi permanent fifth wheel set up for the trailer. This is seen fairly clearly in the photo below which is from the Queensland Libary Collection and shows a Military parade through Brisbane. No quick release fifth wheel as there is today. :teach:

G'day Cliff and Tony,

Thanks for the information and especially the photos.

Looks like I used the wrong term to describe my question. :giveup

Okay if I put the word Chassis in the question instead of bed how would that go. So more correctly

Did they extend the Chassis on Blitz trucks so they could act as prime movers for the blitz semi trailers?

Now did I write that okay this time? :nono:

Regards
Lionel

aj.lec 16-10-09 04:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionelgee (Post 120553)

Did they extend the Chassis on Blitz trucks so they could act as prime movers for the blitz semi trailers?
Regards
Lionel

The chassis were not modified but were based on a 60s cab/chassis being the 134 inch wheelbase in both Chev and Ford

:cheers:

Lionelgee 16-10-09 06:37

G'day Andrew

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.lec (Post 120554)
The chassis were not modified but were based on a 60s cab/chassis being the 134 inch wheelbase in both Chev and Ford

Thanks for your clarification Andrew :note: Now I just have to find out what a 60s cab chasis is - would this be 60 CWT or three ton?

Kind Regards
Lionel

Tony Smith 16-10-09 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionelgee (Post 120557)
Now I just have to find out what a 60s cab chasis is - would this be 60 CWT or three ton?

Kind Regards
Lionel

Yes, it would be. (They are one and the same!)

cliff 16-10-09 07:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.lec (Post 120554)

The occassional LWB 158 inch WB 3 ton 60cwt chassis was used as well but not often. :)

Shakey985 17-10-09 21:35

Lionel if your intrested in a trailer take a look at Boiler steam thread thats mounted on a trailer for you?
Dry cleaning service at Corowa :cheers:

Lionelgee 18-10-09 04:12

Thanks for the photos

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakey985 (Post 120651)
Lionel if your intrested in a trailer take a look at Boiler steam thread thats mounted on a trailer for you?
Dry cleaning service at Corowa :cheers:

G'day Shakey,

I saw the date on the thread and it was 2008 has anything happened to the steam trailer since then?

Kind Regards
Lionel

cliff 18-10-09 06:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionelgee (Post 120655)
G'day Shakey,

I saw the date on the thread and it was 2008 has anything happened to the steam trailer since then?

Kind Regards
Lionel

Says 2009 to me so you must need new glasses Lionel :)

http://orbit.dnsrouter.com/~mlu/foru...ad.php?t=13500

I don't think this is a suitable project for you either if you wish to remain in the land of the living with you know who! :D

serge 18-10-09 07:11

Ford canada f60t in france

1 Attachment(s)
Hello

May be I can give you some information about the length of the frame for a F60T. Two month ago a such truck was in a meeting in noth of France.
I took some pic and if you wishe information about the length of the frame I can to try to contact the owner

Regards Serge

Lionelgee 19-10-09 02:46

eyes

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliff (Post 120660)
Says 2009 to me so you must need new glasses Lionel :)

http://orbit.dnsrouter.com/~mlu/foru...ad.php?t=13500

I don't think this is a suitable project for you either if you wish to remain in the land of the living with you know who! :D

G'day Cliff I have good eye days and bad eye days - guess it must have been a bad eye day.

I have had my fill of multi state shifts of trucks and related bits and pieces Cliff. I am purely interested in its possible progress in restoration as a history buff.

Kind Regards
Lionel

Lionelgee 19-10-09 02:47

G'day Serge

Quote:

Originally Posted by serge (Post 120664)
Hello

May be I can give you some information about the length of the frame for a F60T. Two month ago a such truck was in a meeting in noth of France.
I took some pic and if you wishe information about the length of the frame I can to try to contact the owner

Regards Serge

G'day Serge,

What a great photo! Thanks for posting it. What sort of condition was the truck and trailer in when the person first got it - did it need a full restoration or were they already in good order?

Kind Regards
Lionel

serge 19-10-09 05:46

Ford canada f60t

4 Attachment(s)
Hello LIONEL

The first show of the tractor was five years ago at the great meeting in NORTH of FRANCE "LE PAS DE CALAIS LIBERE" but without the trailer , then this summer at the same meeting, now with a trailer.
The owner told me that the truck was stored during near 40 years in a shed and every month the previous owner starts the engine. So the new owner done only coat and marking (unhappily there are neither british marking or canadian marking). The trailer is not an original trailer but was largely modified to look like original trailer. I think that the right tank was not original.
Unhappily I have lost the email of the new owner but I hope to meet him again at an other meeting. I join some other pic of the truck.

Best Regards Serge