MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Military Shows & Events (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   XXX Corps event: Liberation Task Force | 13-22 September 2014, Holland (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22495)

Hanno Spoelstra 22-08-14 23:28

XXX Corps event: Liberation Task Force | 13-22 September 2014, Holland

I think many of you have heard of the XXX Corps event being held from 13-22 September 2014 in Holland. See http://www.historicaltours.eu/ for some info.

Which MLU members are going? Please raise your hand if you will be participating by posting a message here. Let us know who & what you will be bringing.

Hope to see you there!

Hanno

Marc van Aalderen 22-08-14 23:41

We will be there with the Carrier and 6 pr plus the Dingo.

Looking forward to the event very much!

Cheers,

Hanno Spoelstra 22-08-14 23:43

1 Attachment(s)
Marc, great!

I will be there with my Ford F15A, shown here during the Bayeux parade in Normandy:

Attachment 67318

tankbarrell 23-08-14 09:17

I'll be there with the Sherman V. There are four Shermans coming from the UK.

I'll remember your box this time Marc......

Ben 23-08-14 13:50

I'll be there with two MK2 carriers, jeep and Bedford. Several others from here in the same group.

RichardT10829 23-08-14 19:08

As above..

Maurice Donckers 23-08-14 19:24

xxx corps

AEC Matador x2 and … not known yet .

Michael R. 24-08-14 04:01

A '43 vintage JS Robertson will be personally delivered from Canada for the duration of the event.
The first time ever seen in Europe. J. :drunk:

Lynn Eades 24-08-14 06:53

So Michael,..... What is one of them?

Marc van Aalderen 24-08-14 18:05

It is my honour and privilege to provide housing to Michael R. and the very rare and unique JS Robertson on Thursday. ;)

@Adrian. Thank you, I will bring your armrest. :)

Cheers,

svdwal 25-08-14 12:00

I'll be there, alltough i do not bring a vehicle but will be driving several vehicles that belong to the Dutch army.
I'm the coördinator of a 29 men Prinses Irene Brigade Platoon that will be manning vehicles of the Dutch army and perform in several ceremonies.

Looking forward to the event, the end of a one and a half year of organising and training.

Rgds.

Sjoerd

Andy Mitchell 26-08-14 11:13

Hi All,

Will be there with the F30 ( nearly finished it) with 43 Recce.

Andy

Alex van de Wetering 27-08-14 15:47

I will be there as a spectator one, two, hopefully three days. The vehicles on the square in Valkenswaard is something I love to see!

Quote:

I'll be there with the Sherman V. There are four Shermans coming from the UK.
Adrian, I am looking forward to seeing your Sherman in real life on Dutch soil. Is it back to British spec and original markings after it's acting in FURY?

Does anyone know if any of the tanks will also be at Tanks in Town one week before Project 70???, september 6th and 7th???

Alex

tankbarrell 27-08-14 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering (Post 199419)
Adrian, I am looking forward to seeing your Sherman in real life on Dutch soil. Is it back to British spec and original markings after it's acting in FURY?

Oh yes, I have spent many hours, with help from my new crew, refurbishing the Sherman. I took the engine out and cleaned inside and out before a repaint.

Tracks going back on this weekend!

Alex van de Wetering 04-09-14 10:19

Quote:

Oh yes, I have spent many hours, with help from my new crew, refurbishing the Sherman. I took the engine out and cleaned inside and out before a repaint.
Sounds like some serious work/service Adrian. I think people (me being one of them) often underestimate what renting a vehicle for a movie can do to a vehicle.
Looking forward to the XXX corps event!

Alex

Hanno Spoelstra 06-09-14 15:59

Sounds like a good MLU turnout!

Just got word "Gunner" Mike Calnan will be there too with the UK-based "The Garrison" (http://www.thegarrison.org.uk/) as the Troop Commander of the 5.5" gun troop.

H.

Hanno Spoelstra 06-09-14 16:03

4 Attachment(s)
See http://www.historicaltours.eu/vehicles.html for a vehicle list. Here are pictures of some of vehicles which will be participating:

My CMP Ford F15A, just fitted a tan tarp over it so I can sleep in the back.
Camouflage netting will be added at the event.
Attachment 67710

CMP Ford F30, if I am not mistaken owned by Andy Mitchell of 43 Recce:
Attachment 67711

RNL Army Chevrolet CGT:
Attachment 67708

Morris-Commercial C8 GS:
Attachment 67709

H.

Hanno Spoelstra 06-09-14 16:07

Make sure to keep an eye on the various websites for the up-to-date programme:

http://www.historicaltours.eu/

http://www.defensie.nl/onderwerpen/m...-market-garden (Royal NL Army website, in Dutch)

H.

Petr Brezina 08-09-14 15:18

Should be there with The Garrison group, bunch of Czech gunners and 25pdr battery. :cheers:

Tim Bell 08-09-14 20:04

WSC on the Road

1 Attachment(s)
My WSC on the road - off to Holland for the XXX Corps / Market Garden Anniversary... will replace the horrible modern wing mirrors for more appropriate ones when there... and still need to fit the Bridge plate and sort out the hood star and circle... but happy to have got it 98% there... another week and it would have been finished - fortunately we will have time in Holland.

Attachment 67758

Tim

Hanno Spoelstra 08-09-14 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petr Brezina (Post 199922)
Should be there with The Garrison group, bunch of Czech gunners and 25pdr battery. :cheers:

Petr,

Great, seems a great deal of firepower will be present.

Hanno

Hanno Spoelstra 08-09-14 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bell (Post 199928)
My WSC on the road - off to Holland for the XXX Corps / Market Garden Anniversary... will replace the horrible modern wing mirrors for more appropriate ones when there... and still need to fit the Bridge plate and sort out the hood star and circle... but happy to have got it 98% there... another week and it would have been finished - fortunately we will have time in Holland.

Tim,

Moved your posting to this thread if you don't mind. Scout Car looks excellent as it is! 98% finished is a heap more than my truck, but the important thing is that they are there :thup2:

H.

Alex van de Wetering 09-09-14 00:18

Quote:

My WSC on the road - off to Holland for the XXX Corps / Market Garden Anniversary... will replace the horrible modern wing mirrors for more appropriate ones when there...
Tim, the "Phantom" Scout car is looking good; I see you also managed to get the aerial mounts done.
I will be bringing the mirror for you. See you there.

Alex

Tim Bell 09-09-14 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering (Post 199938)
Tim, the "Phantom" Scout car is looking good; I see you also managed to get the aerial mounts done.
I will be bringing the mirror for you. See you there.

Alex

Looking forward to meeting you there!

Aerial mounts are done - but will need to be modified when we get home as are not quite right... but no time now!

However, once the vehicle is filled with 5 men and equipment these small details will be forgotten until we come home.

Cheers

Tim

Tim Bell 09-09-14 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 199931)
Moved your posting to this thread if you don't mind. Scout Car looks excellent as it is! 98% finished is a heap more than my truck, but the important thing is that they are there :thup2:

Hanno

Thanks - dont mind at all - would have put it here myself if I'd realised the thread was here!

Look forward to meeting loads of forum members on this trip - will be great to put faces to names.

Pic of the radio installation is here:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22570

The vehicle is marked up to represent "A" Squadron of Phantom GHQ Liaison Regiment and whilst the census number is correct for the No 12 Patrol vehicle, we will represent the No 5 Patrol vehicle for this event.

The Phantom Patrols at the time of Market-Garden comprised 7 men in 1 x White Scout Car fitted with the WS9, 1 x Jeep fitted with the WS22, with a trailer with two motor cycles for individual patrol work.

We originally wanted to run a complete patrol, but the organisers didnt want to have any more Jeeps, so instead there are 5 of us in the Scout Car... which will be cosy!

Historical note...

Capt Denys Brook-Hart was commander of No 5 Patrol during Market-Garden and tasked with reaching Arnhem by road independently of anything 30 corps were doing - he got the whole patrol to Nijmegen, then left the WSC behind and travelled by Jeep to Driel where they were shelled by the Germans with 88mm's over open sights... when the radio and radio operator both broke, he drove back to Nijmegen to replace them, then returned to Driel to relay messages from the Phantom patrol in Oosterbeek back to HQ... for his part in Market Garden he was awarded the MC... his signaller however only got shell-shock.

I have copies of the Phantom Intelligence logs for the Market Garden operation - if you really want to know who was where and when, forget the history books which give you someone's interpretation of events and read the Phantom material... it is very detailed.

Tim

RichardT10829 09-09-14 19:16

Counting down to the event now !!! Two days at work then the fun begins ! Spent today sorting my kit out, boots cleaned, beret shaped and shaved...

Andy Mitchell 10-09-14 10:49

holland

Hi all.

Finally found a new wheel cylinder for the F30 so all should be well, also seem to have acquired a 6 pounder anti-tank gun to pull as well. Ho Hum !:blink:

See you all there.

Andy

Tim Bell 10-09-14 22:01

Hell... 7am leave tomorrow for Harwich... still cannot find the blanco, button stick, hexi tablets, marching compass... and find my uniform has shrunk since last worn!

Thankfully I have found the wine box, port and hip flask...

Tim

Andy Mitchell 11-09-14 11:33

Tim . All is not lost then !

Andy

Hanno Spoelstra 13-09-14 22:32

Seems our English friends made it across the North Sea: http://youtu.be/DfSL3NrfisI :thup2:

I will be joining the fun tomorrow evening.

Hanno