MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   TAC HQ (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Logging On (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10525)

Bob Moseley (RIP) 16-02-08 10:41

Logging On

When I can eventually get onto the site I find I have to log on. This wasn't necessary before. I also find that when I stay on for an extended period in an idle mode, I also have to log back on. However on these occasions my password is not accepted making me quit the internet and then re-connecting.
Bob

zemsi 16-02-08 11:26

... Bob, does your browser allow cookies? Perhabs delete all the old cookies from MLU stored in your hard disk. Do you use IE7 or Firefox?

Greetings from Switzerland
Chris

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 16-02-08 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Moseley (Post 93721)
When I can eventually get onto the site I find I have to log on. This wasn't necessary before. I also find that when I stay on for an extended period in an idle mode, I also have to log back on. However on these occasions my password is not accepted making me quit the internet and then re-connecting.
Bob

That's something to do with the cookies I haven't sorted yet. One thing you can do when you do log in is leave one Window running with you in Who's Online and use another to prowl; that way your ID stays live even if you leave it for a while. Beyond that, the only thing I've found is that the cookies are live for 20 minutes then crash & burn - in the old software, this left the login bit alive but in this version, it kills that too. I'll find it somewhere...

Jif
who avows no knowledge of what Keefy's done with YOTCSC and is thus, innocent!

cletrac (RIP) 16-02-08 16:13

I've had to manually log on since the changeover on my .org/forums link but I changed to the link after I logged on ( .org/forums/index.php? ) and now it logs on automatically and doesn't seem to kick out so easily when left idle. On the cookies thing I run Netscape 9 and have it set to delete all cookies every time Netscape is shut down. It still didn't do anything to help the can't find server problems though. When I get that message I just keep hitting the try again button and it'll usually eventually hook up, although sometimes I quit and try again in a half hour or so.

cletrac (RIP) 16-02-08 21:08

In my above post I commented on the forum not kicking out and asking for me to log in again since I changed my link. I've been away from the puter for 5 hours now and I was still logged on.

Wayne McGee 18-02-08 07:17

Similar Problems

I've in the same boat as others here. I've found that I've been logged out arbitrarilly during the time on the site.
I have logged in, replied to a thread and then had to log in again to submit.
No major drama, just thought you would like to know

klambie 25-02-08 18:34

Firefix problem

There seems to be a problem logging in with Firefox. I generally lurk on the forums, so not sure when this started, but I am unable to log in with Firefox (Explorer is OK).

Trying to log in with Firefox from the main forum page, it shows me as an active user at the bottom, but the top toolbar does not change (ie. no User CP link, etc.). If I go into a sub-forum, I do not appear as a user (ie. I am not really logged in), and am unable to post.

My browser is a allowing cookies, though I do not know how to find/clear MLU's cookies (I won't clear them all).

zemsi 25-02-08 19:10

... hmm, I'm using the latest Firefox and don't have the problems described :confused

klambie 25-02-08 20:55

... hmm indeed. I'm running latest Firefox on two machines and neither work.

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 25-02-08 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by klambie (Post 94376)
... hmm indeed. I'm running latest Firefox on two machines and neither work.

Something in your setup then... I'm on Firefox at home and I use it at work as well, with no problems at either loc. Clear your cache & cookies, then close and restart Firefox.

Bob Moseley (RIP) 10-03-08 02:07

:mad: Hi Jif - the last week again has been a PITA sometimes taking upwards of a day to get in. If this is a spammer or hijacker :no4: :no4:
Bob

Vets Dottir 2nd 10-03-08 02:53

I still have trouble accessing through .org .... Is that the access you're having trouble with Bob? Not that I know how to fix it :( except accessing through other links, of course.

Kartmann

hrpearce 10-03-08 11:58

I'm still trying .org first but have to use tortuga at least half the time. At least I don't miss my daily fix, Corowa may be a chalange three days in a row with no MLU.

Tony Smith 10-03-08 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpearce (Post 95203)
I'm still trying .org first but have to use tortuga at least half the time.

Me three! :bang:

Bob Moseley (RIP) 10-03-08 23:37

.org

That's the one I'm using and will persevere with. At least when I can't get in I can do other things.
Bob

Hanno Spoelstra 14-04-08 16:16

Dot org is dead again! Class-five and tortuge work intermittenly, and and are very, very slow :mad:

H.

cliff 14-04-08 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 97101)
Dot org is dead again! Class-five and tortuge work intermittenly, and and are very, very slow :mad:

for the past few weeks I have had problems with all 3 plus when I do get on the forums are slow to open as well as the threads they contain. very frustrating to take 4 or 5 minutes just to open one thread to read. :(

Another problem for me is the 'Reply to Thread' page is still 35mm to far to the right with a lot od the emicons off the screen and unreachable. The title bar and post Icons at the bottom are correct just the bit in the middle out of kilter. :confused

Bill Murray 15-04-08 02:44

Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know bugger all about forum setup/administration/upgrades etc. etc.

What I do know, or have experienced since January, is that almost every forum I am registered on, regardless of the provider, has been forced or convinced to upgrade their site.

In every case, let me repeat, in every case, it has been a monumental cock up. The Axis History Forum, it's English language partners and it's Scandinavian cousins were down more or less for over a month. Kuno's Deutsche Afrika-Korps forum has also had all sorts of problems.

A rather large part of the problem seemed to be what browser one used, in my case AOL. I started using Firefox and other browsers for a long time and then everyone seemed to get the "settings" right so AOL would communicate with these sites. For a while I could use AOL and everything was fine.

Now, in the last few weeks, it is going gunnysack again.

Regarding MLU, I keep losing my log in and/or I have to try to gain entrance to the forum several times before it connects. This is true on AOL, Firefox and MSN for example. As Cliff states, once you do manage to get on, moving around in the forum can sometimes take forever.

Note Well, I am not bitching about the MLU forum, it seems to be a problem for almost all of the many forums I subscribe to.

The problems, it seems to me, are causing a terrible drop in postings on a number of these forums as I gather that others like me just do not have the time today to try to log on to a forum multiple times and then when they finally do get logged on must wait sometimes from thirty seconds to up to 2 minutes when trying to move around in the various threads. Added to that is the number of times you get timed out or kicked off once you have gained access.

Not to be too redundant here, but one issue I have is that I always click the box to remember my user name and password on every forum I belong to.
It is safe to say that of the top 10 forums I belong to, every one of them refreshes itself or whatever you call it several times a week and I have to go through the whole log in process again multiple times. MLU as well as the others.

Not so much a problem here, but another aggravation is when you get access, you research a question or whatever, post an answer when you are supposedly logged in and when you send the answer, it tells you you are not logged in.

Something is "Rotten in Denmark" when it comes to these hosting sites, whether it be vbulletin or any of the other majors.

End of Rant.

Bill

Jon Skagfeld 15-04-08 03:42

x2. or x3, or x4, dog robber. You describe my situation exactly, exacerbated by being afflicted with dial-up!

Sunray: Do something...wave your magic wand...make all good!

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 15-04-08 11:34

This is all really bizarre, because aside from the odd slow bit, I've seen none of that here in Toronto! I do know that they had to take down the server a couple of days ago in order to change out a controller, but they had it done in a couple of hours and it seems to have worked well since.

I'll see what I can find out, but not experiencing the same doesn't help... :ergh:

Keith Webb 15-04-08 12:01

More outages

The outages have become the norm rather than the exception this end. :mad: :bang:

cliff 15-04-08 12:16

Geoff I have only had the one total outage as such the other day for a short period but the slowness in opening forums and threads is ongoing and almost continuous and has been that way for some time at my end.

lynx42 15-04-08 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpearce (Post 95203)
I'm still trying .org first but have to use tortuga at least half the time.

I'm having alot of trouble also. I have tortuga in my favorites now to make it easier.

Mike Kelly 15-04-08 14:39

OK here

The class-five.com gateway is working OK from here . No drop outs or logging in problems . I've got dialup .

Mike

Ian Pullen 15-04-08 14:45

Accessing

The Class Five entry is the only way I can get in at home or work now. It's saved in the favourites file so there is no problem there.

Just can't get here any other way...........

Hanno Spoelstra 15-04-08 15:23

Stat report: .org is up again, albeit working slowly.

H. in Holland

Hanno Spoelstra 15-04-08 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murray (Post 97154)
Something is "Rotten in Denmark" when it comes to these hosting sites, whether it be vbulletin or any of the other majors.

You seem to have much more troubles with this than I have. I feel sorry for you, knowing how aggravation it causes me. At least you do not attribute it to something Dutch, like Going Dutch, Dutch Disease, etc. :o

H.

Vets Dottir 2nd 15-04-08 16:02

Class 5 almost always gets me in too when the others usually don't. And yes, things often extremely slow for switching/loading pages, still.

Bill Murray 15-04-08 16:49

I know it is here somewhere, but a search did not find it.

Can someone please post how to do the Class 5 thingie.
Today has been especially problematic.
Bill

Hanno Spoelstra 15-04-08 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murray (Post 97193)
Can someone please post how to do the Class 5 thingie.

Bill,

Try any of these URLs:
http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/
http://tortuga.dnsrouter.com/~mlu/forums/
http://www.class-five.com/~mlu/forums/

HTH,
Hanno