MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   TAC HQ (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Problems with Windows 7 (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22993)

Bob Carriere 03-12-14 22:16

Problems with Windows 7

I migrated to Windows 7 much against my will went XP was no longer supported ....only to find out that certain functions no longer worked under the new, progressive modern system ....... and version 8.1 can wait for a long while.....

Windows 7, when used with AOL to access the Forum, it will not allow you to right click on a posted picture to "save in" your own photos library ....

BUT I have discovered, well someone from Windows Seven Forum pointed it out to me, if you access MLU by means of the Internet Explorer the former process can now be utilized as before.

Thought it might be useful for others.

Bob C

Hanno Spoelstra 03-12-14 23:45

Thanks Bob,

Google Chrome works well as a browser also.

H.

cletrac (RIP) 03-12-14 23:53

In my opinion, Firefox is the only browser worth using. Windows 7 has no issues with it. I( have Windows 8.1 now and it seems trouble free.

peter simundson 03-12-14 23:59

If you don't like windows 7......

Which I have used for years, you will hate windows 8.

Then you are forced to upgrade to 8.1 (or miss many features).

It never ends.

Then you find Norton wants to renew you at $79 or $154 for two
years. BUT .....Staples has a sale on Norton for FIVE loads on
different computers at $29.95. The old Norton fights like hell
against deletion and/or the new Norton. Took Staples 1 1/2 hours
to load it on a tablet.

Fun eh?

Peter S

maple_leaf_eh 04-12-14 02:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 203106)
Thanks Bob,

Google Chrome works well as a browser also.

H.

Agreed. I've been fighting with Internet Explorer the past few days after it picked up a resilient pop-up. With Google Chrome there are almost no issues.

rob love 04-12-14 03:04

I'm just going to keep on using my Windows XP and the existing firefox. At least the XP doesn't get hung up trying to do updates anymore.

cletrac (RIP) 04-12-14 03:43

With Windows 7 you should shut off the automatic updates. They can cause serious crashes.

Bob Carriere 05-12-14 23:47

Progress....?

Peter it is forced upon us as progress...... sometimes I think it's regress. Every time they improve it there are some features that disappears

The www still beats the old stamp/envelop..... it sure shrank the world.

I found a "Windows Seven Forum" ......... very helpful bunch.... give good directions/instructions to specific issues. Almost as good as MLU.

Cheers

gary_bath_jr 09-12-14 21:48

Windows

Hey Guys

I am a computer tech and have worked on this stuff for 15 years, if you are going to upgrade Windows, do go to Win7, stay away from 8-8.1, it is comparable to WinME, (the worst POS they ever made). If you can wait they are now working on Win10 that will detect if you are using a PC and make your desktop look like the Win 7/XP desktop, if you install it on a tablet then it will look like Win 8.

Now for AV (Anti-Virus) stay clear of Norton as it is a system hog and you usually need to download special software to remove old version, the best ones I have found are Kaspersky, BitDefender, and ESET NOD32.

Along with your AV you will need an Anti-Malware tool, the best one of these is free and is called Malware Bytes, the only downside to it is you can not configure the freebie, it must be updated and run manually, generally once a week is good. If you find that you don't have the time to do the manual stuff you can buy a version that will let you setup scan and update times similar to your AV.

Hope this helps.

Gary
:thup2: :salute:

Howard 10-12-14 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary_bath_jr (Post 203377)
Hey Guys

I am a computer tech and have worked on this stuff for 15 years...
Hope this helps.
Gary
:thup2: :salute:

Yes, Gary, it does.
H :cheers: