MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New Years MV driving challenge (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29687)

Phil Waterman 30-12-18 15:45

New Years MV driving challenge

New Years Drive Challenge

For a number of years I have a personal New Year resolution or challenge to take my military vehicles out for a drive on New Years Eve or more exactly early New Years Day. Some years it happens a little later, but the goal is to start my MV driving year off early and right, so I extend the invitation to join in and share your drive.

Just to explain no military vehicles are exposed to road salt, drive is restricted to local dirt road.

Who in the MLU community be the first to drive their MV in 2019?

Cheers Phil

maple_leaf_eh 30-12-18 15:52

I had the pleasure of starting 70-08876 at Jason Ginn's restoration shop a week or two ago, so almost a New Year's Day run.

74-xxxxx is on jack stands right now, with the weight is off the tires. I will to uphold the principle of a New Year's Day run give it a good mid-winter inspection and if it looks OK, start and let the engine turn for 15 or 20 mins.

Bob Carriere 30-12-18 16:38

The barn boys are ready.......

In fact we even had a practice run. No real challenge this year has most of our snow coverage has turned to ice and crusted with some flat areas just like a skating rink.

You can pop the clutch and spin all four wheels.

In the back field I did "donuts" in 3rd low range......had to watch the rpm as I was nearing 3000 rpm.....

New Years do will do pictures.

Truck started first time and brake pedal is still good and high.

Cheers

Lang 30-12-18 21:18

Bob

Most of our snow is melted as the temperature has risen slightly today to +34c so I don't think we will need the chains.

We have the grandkids coming over for New Years breakfast and they will be whipping around in the paddock in the Jeep.

Lang

Phil Waterman 01-01-19 17:05

New Years 2019

1 Attachment(s)
Happy New Years to all

Well this New Years Day is about 40 degrees F warmer than last years with a morning temp at 9AM 43F or 6 C.

We had a snow, sleet, freezing rain then rain storm over night and this morning it is warm with very strong winds of 30-40 MPH.

Attachment 104522
Click on the picture for short Youtube clip or if that doesn't work https://youtu.be/cyayZw2eMz8

Remember your first drive of the New Year doesn't have to be on New Years day, my first drive sometimes has been much later, its the idea of driving those MVs that's important.

Cheers and Happy New Year Phil

Next challenge is to see what we get as BIG snow storms to plan in this winter.

Peter Duggan 01-01-19 22:59

Happy New Year

1 Attachment(s)
Guys,

Wishing all a great New Year. Weather here in Cherry Valley was quite cooperative and unseasonable. With luck I'll attach a video link after I've uploaded it.

Peter

Attachment 104523

video link https://youtu.be/LO48bSDnm08 , excuse the clashing of gears !

motto 02-01-19 01:37

We had interstate visitors on New Years Eve, the last day of 2018. They had not been to this area before so, it being a beautiful day weatherwise, I took them for a run in my Dodge WC57 Command Car to show them some of the local sites.
We live only about 5 kilometres from an extinct volcanic core known as Hanging Rock which some may be aware of due to the movie titled 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' based on a book of the same title.It's an interesting feature and can be viewed from the road from all four sides and climbed if you wish.
Nearby is a section of public road (Straws Lane) which has an unusual feature in that you can stop on the road which has all the appearance of being a downhill run and the vehicle will, to the bewilderment of all, roll backwards up the incline you have just descended. It is an optical illusion of course but intriguing non the less.
We had just moved on from the incline demonstration when we were passed by a highway patrol vehicle going the other way which appeared in my rear view mirror a couple of minutes later. He was right behind us when I had to stop at an intersection on a steep incline that required a hand brake start and right hand turn. I executed this quite well and was relieved when he turned left and went in the opposite direction. No doubt they had run a check on our registration. I was glad that I had filled in my log book for the day. It's about $750 if you haven't done so.
Happy New Year to all.
David

maple_leaf_eh 02-01-19 02:13

Didn't drive but ran up the engine

While I was scraping the New Years' Day's ice storm accumulation, I found the key for the M151A2 and it started on the second effort. A bit of choke, then backed it off onto the hand throttle. It ran for 20 mins without a hiccup. I've done this each month since summer.

Bob Carriere 02-01-19 02:54

At the barn.....

.... we were out in the back field cracking our way over the recent frozen snow/crust. We had freezing rain followed by snow overnight temp at 10 am was -1....going down to minus -21C for tonight.

Rob's Iltis chased my C15a then I chased him.....flat out in 3rd low range just below 3000rpm........tried our best to do donuts....... sure shakes you up when you cross the drainage dips that you quickly overlook with the snow/ice cover. Rob said it was the first time he actually saw my C15a springs flex.

Truck started easily....... the worst was wacking the locks on the sea cans with a hammer ...everything facing East was ice coated.

Got some short videos that I will post ASAP.

Cheers