MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Lend Lease Decal (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19180)

Barry Churcher 16-09-12 13:59

Lend Lease Decal

2 Attachment(s)
Yesterday a couple of collectors came for a perusal of the junk in my yard. While crawling around one of the Dodge APT's he noticed the decal. I hadn't seen it before but I guess after our extremely hot summer some of the paint has finally given up its hold and flaked off.
Barry

Alex Blair (RIP) 16-09-12 21:05

Russian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Churcher (Post 170544)
Yesterday a couple of collectors came for a perusal of the junk in my yard. While crawling around one of the Dodge APT's he noticed the decal. I hadn't seen it before but I guess after our extremely hot summer some of the paint has finally given up its hold and flaked off.
Barry

Barry.,.
Looks like a Russian lend-lease vehicle.
Alex

peter simundson 16-09-12 21:11

Barry

You have a couple of originals of these....don't you??

Peter

Lang 17-09-12 00:55

If you clean it off you can tell us what it says.

The Cyrillic Alphabet was named for St. Cyril, although there is some dispute as to whether this is the alphabet he invented or not. Cyril was a Greek monk who, with Methodius, brought written language to Christian converts in the mid-9th century (c.860) in what is now Russia. The Cyrillic alphabet is closely based on the Greek alphabet, with about a dozen additional letters invented to represent Slavic sounds not found in Greek.
In Russia, Cyrillic was first written in the early Middle Ages in clear-cut, legible ustav (large letters). Later a succession of cursive forms developed. In the early eighteenth century, under Peter the Great, the forms of letters were simplified and regularized, with some appropriate only to Greek being removed. Further unnecessary letters were expunged in 1918, leaving the alphabet as it is today—still in use in many Slavic Orthodox countries.

Jordan Baker 17-09-12 01:02

I always thought those decals just said Canada. It should be Canada in Russian, Chinese and English

peter simundson 17-09-12 01:06

Here's an original...

.....and heres what it says.

Peter S

servicepub (RIP) 17-09-12 01:43

The decal was applied to any Canadian produced product that was shipped to Allies and was the suggestion of the Mutual Aid Board. They were designed and produced for the Canadian Manufacturer's Association. These will be found on Inglis pistols, Stens, Brens, Wireless sets and more. They came in a number of sizes and media (paper, decals, and textiles.) Many brand new CMPs will sport the small (2-inch) decal on the doors.
I have a number of these, in a variety of sizes, in my collection.

Barry Churcher 17-09-12 01:48

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter simundson (Post 170551)
You have a couple of originals of these....don't you??

Peter

Yes Peter, I have some originals. I can't believe you can remeber something that I showed you years ago, while I can't remeber what I had for lunch. This is one I lent to Brian Asbury years ago, and he was kind enough to return it in a frame.
I wonder if he remembers that?
Cheers,
Barry

Mike Kelly 18-09-12 05:48

Chorehorse

Also seen on the Canadian made Outboard Marine Chorehorse , and its tool box

peter simundson 18-09-12 13:24

Barry.....I know

what you had for lunch. It was french fries ...with a carefully

applied strip of ketchup on each one.

Peter S