MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Bulldozers (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21559)

servicepub (RIP) 20-01-14 00:04

Bulldozers

Who has a restored WWII bulldozer? Looking for a decent exampe to photograph for the cover of an upcoming Weapons of War booklet.
Clive

Tony Wheeler 20-01-14 05:43

Ian Styles at Temora has one but he's difficult to contact as he has no phone.

Dianaa 20-01-14 05:50

Also the Matilda Tank-Dozers, similar to the Sherman Tank-Dozers.

I may have a couple of images of Ian's dozer at home will take a look. Also the AAMME has the first Catapillar dozer built in Australia to the US design used by the US Navy Seabees, will check for images of that one also.

Dianaa 20-01-14 13:08

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry don'thave a decent image of Ians dozer, just the two shots in the edge of the photos. Will try to go out to the Museum on Friday.

maple_leaf_eh 20-01-14 16:05

museums

There are public museums across the prairies that have gathered old farm machinery for preservation. The Western Development Museum in Moose Jaw and another one in Cardston come to mind. People think of the west as flat open grain fields, but someone had to build the roads and ditches that make it accessable now. Likewise, into the aspen forests, the fields had to be cleared before fencing or seeding. Lots of heavy equipment used there too.

Bob Carriere 20-01-14 16:55

Check with Phil Waterman

They do have functional small bulldozers on display at his N.H. show every year,

Bob C

Phil Waterman 20-01-14 23:11

Weare, NH Bulldozers

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Bob and Clive

Which size were you speaking of? Off course these are US versions.

Cheers Phil

servicepub (RIP) 21-01-14 04:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Waterman (Post 190709)
Hi Bob and Clive

Which size were you speaking of? Off course these are US versions.

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil,
When possible I try to get a 3/4 front view. Ideally no civilians or non-mil vehicles in background. As Canada used US tractors this isn't a problem. Of course, I have to defer to the author to ensure that any photo represents a model that Canada actually used.
If you have images to offer please send them to me at clive@servicepub.com
Many thnx,
C

sapper740 21-01-14 07:47

R4

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pics of a gasoline powered R4 "pylon" queen at Carswell AFB near Ft. Worth taken by Bob Pettit in 2006 and posted on Olive drab.com. Carswell AFB was the scene of Jimmy Stewart's movie "Strategic Air Command". Both B36's and B47's were flown out of Carswell back in the day. I saw this dozer every Drill weekend when I was a member of the Texas State Guard. Hope these help.

Phil Waterman 21-01-14 14:29

Will See What We Have In 3/4 View

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Clive

Have a number of photos of Cat D7 in 2048x1536 pixels will see if I have 3/4 views with nothing in the back ground. The owner of the Little Clark is a friend and avid photographer so I will e-mail him and ask him for photos. Pretty sure he will have 3/4 view with nothing in the back ground.

There are a surprising number of WWII Dozers out there, here is another D7 Cable operated blade in the area but it is hard to get photos of them with to pose with no people and no vehicles in the back ground.

Cheers Phil

servicepub (RIP) 21-01-14 15:22

Hi Phil,

Depending on the complexity, I can Photoshop the background. The hardest to do is a concrete apron and I look back at the work I had to do for the Kangaroo cover.

Image 022 (in your last post) would be nice if you find one at a different angle.

Thnx,
C

Robin Craig 22-01-14 00:50

Clive,

I will go to the lower decks and see if I can find the boxes with the monument dozer on the bridge from Petawawa, how much a darn tooting rush are you in chum?

While I have your attention, David Fletcher (yes Bovington) says howdy :salute:

R

servicepub (RIP) 22-01-14 02:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Craig (Post 190771)
I will go to the lower decks and see if I can find the boxes with the monument dozer on the bridge from Petawawa, how much a darn tooting rush are you in chum?

Robin,
There is no rush as this title isn't scheduled until Fall 2014 at the earliest. However, I think that Phil H has what I need so you can probably stand down on this. If I need to come back to you I know where to find you.
Cheers,
C

Ed Landstrom 26-01-14 16:05

There are quite a few WW II construction machines (left over from the construction of the Alaska Highway) on display in the Signpost Forest at Watson Lake, Yukon. I can't remember if there were any 'dozers among them. If there are no members in the area who could check, the Chamber of Commerce could probably tell you and provide photos if there are any.

Phil Waterman 26-01-14 17:39

Did you find what you need?

Hi Clive

In your post "There is no rush as this title isn't scheduled until Fall 2014 at the earliest. However, I think that Phil H has what I need so you can probably stand down on this. If I need to come back to you I know where to find you.
Cheers,
C"

Did you mean me, and did you find the picture you needed in the link I sent you? I have not turned up anymore photos yet.

Cheers Phil

servicepub (RIP) 15-10-14 02:10

Bringing this topic back to the fore.
I have a colour image for the cover (which is what I was looking for earlier) and now I am looking for any good Second World War dozer photos? Can anyone help, anyone, Bueller...?
Clive

Bob McNeill 16-10-14 11:02

dozer

3 Attachment(s)
Are these the sort of thing you are after,

Alex van de Wetering 16-10-14 13:35

2 Attachment(s)
Clive,

Here's two more; Are these of use to you?

I can photoshop the re-enactors from the first pic if you like.

Alex

servicepub (RIP) 16-10-14 14:19

Thanks guys. What I need now are contemporary photos from WWII of dozers with Canadian units.
C

derk derin 21-10-14 06:28

Austin Threshermans Reunion July 2014

1 Attachment(s)
This bulldozer was displayed at the Austin Threshermans Reunion this summer.I was hoping to run into the owner and talk with him about it but I never got a chance to so not sure the story on it (or even if it's genuine?). He did have some wartime photo's taped to the dozer blade of a couple in service.The uniforms were Battledress so were commonwealth.Maybe somebody on MLU was able to talk with him and knows more about it.
Derk