MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Post-war Military Vehicles (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Solid State Ignition Kit (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24092)

Jack Innes 02-07-15 16:51

Solid State Ignition Kit

I recently found a "Solid State Electronic Distributor Parts Kit" that may be for a Jeep. It is definitely for a military 4 cylinder engine. It looks to be a conversion kit.

It is marked; Ser no. 2TY83-00074, 2920-01-060-0956, P/N 5704857, June 1983, packed by Levy Auto Parts.
On the instruction sheet it states; U.S. Army Tank Automotive Command, Warren, Mi, code ident no. 19207, 12259579

Perhaps someone can make some sense from these numbers. If it is for an M38-A1 is it any good? If so I will install it on my Jeep.

Thank you for any information

rob love 02-07-15 17:55

The kit was for the M151A2 Jeep. In that application the distributor rotation is opposite of the M38 family. As such, the pickup will be in the wrong position to deliver the spark to the distributor cap at the right time.

There is a change that you can make to your distributor to make it work. If you loook in your distributor, you will see a notch that the points plate sits in to align it. To use the solid state system, you have to make a similar notch 45° (IIRC) counter clockwise to the existing notch. Then you can install the solid state plate, and re-time the distributor.

If you google the subject there are a couple of threads on it along with a you tube video.

Jack Innes 02-07-15 21:20

Thank you Rob! I may leave well enough alone - this could fall into the category of " If it is not broken - fix it until it is."

Scott Bentley 03-07-15 00:03

Something to check for with these kits is the condition of the potting epoxy on the ignition module. The Prestolite kits are often soft and squishy right out of the box and eventually short out if used. The Swiss Controls versions are excellent.

Jack Innes 03-07-15 01:29

Thank you Scott. The M151A2 kits I have are from Swiss Control Inc.

But I have a Prestolite kit that I was considering using on a Chrysler 318 engine in a military truck. Sounds like a bad idea now.

Jack

maple_leaf_eh 03-07-15 04:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Bentley (Post 211434)
Something to check for with these kits is the condition of the potting epoxy on the ignition module. The Prestolite kits are often soft and squishy right out of the box and eventually short out if used. The Swiss Controls versions are excellent.

Who let you get close to a computer? I thought you had other priorities.

Scott Bentley 03-07-15 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh (Post 211437)
Who let you get close to a computer? I thought you had other priorities.

The new addition to my household is definitely keeping me busy :)