MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Australian 1941 Ford 1 Ton Van (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11624)

Tony Smith 29-08-08 15:49

Australian 1941 Ford 1 Ton Van

5 Attachment(s)
This was recently re-discovered and dragged out of a shed. Still original, the only part that seems to be missing is the rear tailgate. Restoration begins... Now!

The 1 Ton Van was a mildly militarised Australian version of the 122in wb 1941 11Y truck. The variants included a 1 Ton GS Van, 1 Ton Wireless Signals Van, 1 Ton Cable-laying Van, 1Ton Office Van, and 1 Ton Battery Staff Van. The "Roadster" cab was a uniquely Australian feature on Trucks, but was more commonly seen on Marmon-Herrington Gun Tractors. The hard cab was more common on the 1 Ton trucks, as seen on Max's 1 tonner.

Tony Smith 29-08-08 15:53

2 Attachment(s)
Amazingly for a 67 year old vehicle, the canvas Roadster canopy is not only present, but fully intact and watertight!

Phil Waterman 29-08-08 16:08

This is going to be an interesting vehicle

Tony- Looks like a really interesting restoration project, from the pictures it looks to be amazingly complete and as you say good condition for 67 years.

Please keep us posted on what you find as you work on it. Does the engine turn or is stuck from years of sitting?

Cheers

Phil

Tony Smith 29-08-08 16:08

3 Attachment(s)
Well, ..... I can't be sure that the canopy IS watertight as it doesn't look like this truck has seen any water for some time! :eek: That's about 1/8" of dust on the dash, and the windscreens aren't exactly crystal clean! Interior is all intact and original.

All that dust has done a good job of preventing the paint from fading, the Army Registration Number 41074 is still legible on the bonnet sides. A check through the AWM records will reveal the original body variant for this truck.

Tony Smith 29-08-08 16:17

While the ARN is well preserved, there seems to be no indication of any Unit Sign or Bridge Class sign. Odd.

Tony Smith 29-08-08 16:37

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Smith (Post 102762)
While the ARN is well preserved, there seems to be no indication of any Unit Sign or Bridge Class sign. Odd.

Hmm, where'd that picture go? :confused

Tony Smith 29-08-08 16:49

1 Attachment(s)
:yappy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Waterman (Post 102760)
Tony- Looks like a really interesting restoration project.....
Does the engine turn or is stuck from years of sitting?

Cheers

Phil

While the engine is covered in yet more Red Dust, the good airfilters have kept it out of the engine. It still turns over, although it hasn't yet been cranked or started. The radiator is sound, but the water can't be filled until a couple of rusted out rad pipes are replaced. (The plank between the two pipes is "Not original"!)

The coil has been changed for a modern style, and the distributor is a Post-war one. That will be given the flick, but will be used in the meantime to get the engine running.

aj.lec 29-08-08 23:56

Congratulations on your find
It looks like a great project :thup2:

Jeff Gordon 30-08-08 02:10

Wow what a great find!
Just wondering if the ARN should have a 1 in front of it that has just worn off?
Or is it just a very low number.
A very practical vehicle for long trips, back to the track 2010
Cheers
Jeff

Bob Moseley (RIP) 30-08-08 09:29

Oh Dear!!

1 Attachment(s)
Tony, Tony, Tony, I fear this project is somewhat beyond you so I suggest that you immediately relocate this vehicle to our shed. It will be lovingly restored and you will even get to have a drive when finished. How is that for a bargain.

Mate, what a beautiful vehicle, onya!! The other thing I can see is missing is the water-bag bracket. Attached is an image Cliff put up before.

Bob

Mike Kelly 30-08-08 10:44

Lucky

1 Attachment(s)
Tony

You lucky so AND SO.. IT'S A BLOODY RIPPER .

Here's a pic of one I was chasing in 1986.. a 1940 model with the civvy 17" wheels . It lives near Junee .

Another was sold at auction at Young, NSW in 1990 .. nearly as good as yours, it went to Canberra .. then onto Mike Cecil who part restored it .. he sold it onto somebody. I suggest you contact Danny Stanton of Brisbane .. he's restoring a 1940 version... Another is being restored by John Neville ( VMVC member ) , down near Geelong .. and John Belfield has one too .

I think Mike Cecil had some new ute body side panels made up . The canvas tops had a window - so don't know what happened on yours ? The AWM on-line has pics of the 1940 version on service in the Middle East. Hills Hoist has a connection as well - a quiz for you .

hint .... click here http://www.hills.com.au/arbitrage/pages/48

Mike

Mike Kelly 30-08-08 11:18

pics

3 Attachment(s)
pics .............

Bob McNeill 30-08-08 15:09

1 Attachment(s)
This pic taken 8-41 on the Baalbeck Plain in Syria. Shows C Croll and R B McNeill with 2/9th gun tractors in background

Bob Moseley (RIP) 31-08-08 09:43

Re-Location

Hi Tony - you haven't replied about the vehicle coming over here. You are probably too busy getting the transpotation organised.

Uh oh! I think I can hear an incoming.

:ergh: Bob

Max Hedges 01-09-08 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Moseley (Post 102839)
Hi Tony - you haven't replied about the vehicle coming over here. You are probably too busy getting the transpotation organised.

Uh oh! I think I can hear an incoming.

Bob havent you been converted to chevs....

Tony you have done well and by the way the ARN on ours is 41571 which was part of a batch of 20 1 ton vans
Max

Ken Hughes 01-09-08 10:41

oh Tony im green with envy you lucky B,what a cute ute!

Mike Kelly 01-09-08 11:54

pic

1 Attachment(s)
Found this pic of a 1940 version. It is fitted out to carry a WS 101 . The various fitments are probably 'ad hoc' in nature . I have one of the antenna bases , I sketched some drawings of it .

Some 1939 models went into army service (cameo grill) , a member of the VMVC used to attend many outings with his 39 version , it had a home made rear body on it and a 49 motor fitted . It was a real 'roughy' but it did get around to many outings back in the late 70's to early 80's.

Mike

Mike Kelly 01-09-08 12:00

drawing

1 Attachment(s)
The drawing I did some years ago .. only got this far !

Darren Witty 01-09-08 12:42

Wheels in the back

I don't want to talk about the truck 'cause I am to jealous and it upsets me.......but what are the wheels off in the back of the ute?

Darren

Ken Hughes 08-09-08 08:05

1941 Ford 1 ton van

Hi again Tony,i see that "Ford" badge on your dash,i wondered what model it came of,I have a spare if anyone needs one.

Keith Webb 30-05-10 00:11

Update?

Tony, what's the latest on this project almost two years on?

I take it there was no transfer to the Adelaide Hills.

Nigel Watson 31-05-10 11:24

Dabs on your truck!!

Hi Tony
I see you took the precaution of starting a new thread just in case I claimed shares "dabs" on your find!!! Great great machine and thanks for photos. Next time you are out lovingly going over her could you snap a few shots of the soft top mechanism for me please. Thanks.

Nigel

Philliphastings 01-06-10 05:11

Time capsule

What a great find...

Mike I though you might have acquired that Junee one by now - you didn't give up did you ?

Tony - is there any difference between the cabin on these utilities and the Marmon Herrington gun tractors?
I recently rescued an almost cab with canopy bows and though it was a gun tractor ?

Cheers

Phill

jack neville 28-06-10 04:51

39 1 ton

Tony,

I have a 39 1 ton I have started restoring. Getting near to rolling chassis. Any chance you could post some more detailed photos of the hood arrangement, both inside and around where it fits on the timber over the windscreen and rest of frame. It appears yours is fixed to the cab on three sides at the bottom. Also some close up photos of the rear body hood brackets. I have spec drawings of the hood bows and frame if you are interested. Mike Cecil was kind enough to supply them to me from the AWM so they tell you all you need to know to reproduce a set.