MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Armoured 15 CWT's wrecks at Dutch exercising grounds (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12113)

john bom 09-12-08 16:31

Armoured 15 CWT's wrecks at Dutch exercising grounds

5 Attachment(s)
In the past a number of wrecked AFV's were strewn around on "De Vlasakkers" near the Dutch town of Amersfoort. This was the excersising grounds of the Cavalry training centre. Vehicles included were a couple of Shermans, a couple of M10 Sluggers, a Staghound command (without turret), a Chaffee and several armoured 15 CWT's.
Enclosed are some snapshots I took in the summer of 1972 of last mentioned vehicles . A number of years later all vehicles were have been removed.

Greetings,

John

Attachment 24595 Attachment 24596 Attachment 24597 Attachment 24598 Attachment 24599

john bom 09-12-08 16:35

Armoured 15 CWT's wrecks at Dutch exercising grounds continued

4 Attachment(s)
Some more, including two shots of a fully enclosed armoured 15 CWT with ring mounting on top.

Greetings John

Attachment 24600 Attachment 24601

Attachment 24602 Attachment 24603

Hanno Spoelstra 09-12-08 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by john bom (Post 106614)
A number of years later all vehicles were have been removed.

John,

Thanks for sharing these great period pictures! Luckily a number of these C15TA´s were preserved from scrapping.

RHClarke 10-12-08 01:10

Saved

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 106616)
John, Thanks for sharing these great period pictures! Luckily a number of these C15TA´s were preserved from scrapping.

Hanno, Do you know where the "saved" ones were taken? I am only asking out of an outrageous desire to get one...

Hanno Spoelstra 10-12-08 01:24

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RHClarke (Post 106635)
Hanno, Do you know where the "saved" ones were taken? I am only asking out of an outrageous desire to get one...

Rob,

All the ones that were saved ended up at good homes.

A fellow Canadian also had an outrageous desire to get one and actually shipped one back to Canada!

Attachment 110803

RHClarke 10-12-08 01:52

Seen...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 106637)
A fellow Canadian also had an outrageous desire to get one and actually shipped one back to Canada!

Yes. An incredible thread. I hope to get some close up footage of Barry's C15TA this coming summer (assuming it will be proudly displayed at a few events).

Makes me want one more...

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 10-12-08 03:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHClarke (Post 106638)
Yes. An incredible thread. I hope to get some close up footage of Barry's C15TA this coming summer (assuming it will be proudly displayed at a few events).

Makes me want one more...

I'm first in line, ya git.... :p

Hanno Spoelstra 10-12-08 11:57

3 Attachment(s)
It is interesting to see some of these C15TA´s did not have the stowage boxes over the rear mudguards. Instead of traces of being ripped off, it seems there is no sign they were ever fitted.

Did anyone ever see a wartime pictures of a C15TA without them?

John, were these pictures taken on the same day? If so, there seem to be at least three of them without stowage boxes.

Thanks,
Hanno

Attachment 110798 Attachment 110801 Attachment 110802

john bom 10-12-08 16:07

Yes Hanno,
these pictures were all taken at the same day in july 1972
John

Hendrik van Oorspronk 10-12-08 21:15

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, Hanno I am almost sure this is one of them, it didn't seem there were evewing boxes mounted, the mudgaurds are exactly the same as on the ambulance, also with the little flat plate at the rear of the mudgaurd.
It is also on the 2008 MLU calander :cheers:

Hendrik van Oorspronk :cheers:

Attachment 24653

RWDiesel 19-12-08 17:07

Vlasakkers C-15TA's on DVD

Hello

I just bought a book about the Leopard 1 series in Dutch Army service, it is called De Leopard 1 Gepantserde vuist van de Koninklijke Landmacht, Writer is Willem Smit, Publisher is Boom Amsterdam, ISBN 978 90 8506 427 5.
With it came a DVD that shows some footage of Vlasakkers training grounds, judging from the equipment used (Leo-1V, all green uniform) mid to late 80's.
A Recon Unit is to take a defended roadblock, the so called defence exists of at least 1 Sherman & 1 C-15TA.
With Print Screen i managed to get some sreen captures for you to ahum enjoy?

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/4...t001os8.th.jpg http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/9...t002wc8.th.jpg http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9...t003em9.th.jpg http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6...t004jg4.th.jpg http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/200...t005ab5.th.jpg

Hope it's worth something for someone, not the way i like to see them.

Cheers Ronald

john bom 10-12-09 12:06

C15TA and Leopard tank on Vlasakkers

1 Attachment(s)
Recently I found this foto of the same situation.

John

Attachment 32028

Hanno Spoelstra 10-12-09 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by john bom (Post 123038)
Recently I found this foto of the same situation.

Thanks John!

From historic military vehicle to a mere training aid . . . :(

Hanno Spoelstra 10-12-09 14:52

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by john bom (Post 106615)
Some more, including two shots of a fully enclosed armoured 15 CWT with ring mounting on top.

Fast forward 29 years: Geoff and I saw this C15TA at Johan Dieffenbach's collection in 2001. It was still basically complete then.

After Johan passed away acouple of years later, this C15TA ended up at Army Cars, was then sold/traded to Dirk where it was photographed (see pics below).

It was sold earlier this year to ???

Attachment 110805 Attachment 110806

Dusonn 17-02-10 15:34

TA in Czech Republic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 123044)

It was sold earlier this year to ???

Hanno

Hello,
just stumbled accross this thread. This TA from Dirk went to its new home in Czech Republic. Our group is restoring it now to state as it served with the Czechoslovak Armored Brigade Group during WWII. They used to have 3 of them in service. You can see more from this restoration here. (go through the headlines, unfortunately it is in Czech only, so is our main website www.rotanazdar.cz (you might be interested in section "Veteran klub" where you find our other vehicles devided in the four sections on the left)
We have bought a running engine in the USA fot the TA which is waiting to be shipped over soon. We had to cut off the post war modification at the rear and now trying to work out how the roof section should look like right. The vehicle was sand-blasted and primed in special primer that allows further welding. There is still lots to do, but if everything goes all right we can get it to a driveble state this year.
We are looking for a Service Manual for this car though, so if anybody would have one for sale or be willing to make a photocopy or scan, it would be of a great help, as we need more information to get further. You can PM me or write on dusanklavik(at)seznam.cz Thanks.
Best regards,
Dusan Klavik

Alex Blair (RIP) 17-02-10 17:33

manuals

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusonn (Post 126437)
Hello,
just stumbled accross this thread. This TA from Dirk went to its new home in Czech Republic. Our group is restoring it now to state as it served with the Czechoslovak Armored Brigade Group during WWII. They used to have 3 of them in service. You can see more from this restoration here. (go through the headlines, unfortunately it is in Czech only, so is our main website www.rotanazdar.cz (you might be interested in section "Veteran klub" where you find our other vehicles devided in the four sections on the left)
We have bought a running engine in the USA fot the TA which is waiting to be shipped over soon. We had to cut off the post war modification at the rear and now trying to work out how the roof section should look like right. The vehicle was sand-blasted and primed in special primer that allows further welding. There is still lots to do, but if everything goes all right we can get it to a driveble state this year.
We are looking for a Service Manual for this car though, so if anybody would have one for sale or be willing to make a photocopy or scan, it would be of a great help, as we need more information to get further. You can PM me or write on dusanklavik(at)seznam.cz Thanks.
Best regards,
Dusan Klavik

Hi Dusan..
Welcome to MLU forum..
Manuals can be purchased(museum quality copies) from Grant BOwker..he is having trouble with his web site but is a member of MLU and if you send him a personal message through MLU he should get you your manuals ..here is the maintenance manual for the Armoured truck..

#20: 300 pages NEW TA-C1 15 CWT. 4x4, CMP, TRUCK ARMOURED, Operation, Maintenance and Repair. (Jun.'44)

Here is the parts manual..

#19: 164 pages C15TA-02 GM CANADA, ILLUST. PARTS LIST, TRUCK, ARMOURED , 15 CWT. CWT. 4x4. MOD. C15TA. Chassis 8449 (Apr.'45))

Grant Bowker..
The New Mr.Manual..
Alex Blair
The Retired Mr.Manual

Dusonn 19-02-10 14:41

manuals

Alex, thank you for the tip, I have sent Grant a message so hopefully I can get the manual I need. :)

Best regards,

Dusan

Hanno Spoelstra 15-12-19 00:21

1 Attachment(s)
One more pic of a C15TA wreck at the Vlasakkers range, Soesterberg, late 1960s/early 1970s. Photo by Erwin van der Meer.

Attachment 110797

Tony Smith 19-12-19 11:15

This picture with the playing children does not show the spare wheel mount on the left side.

Could the negative have been reversed, and this is the same vehicle in the crater seen in Pic #3 in post #8?

David Herbert 19-12-19 17:04

Tony,
I think that you are right. Spare wheel mount disappeared, front wheel turned to the same angle but opposite direction, front wheel is fully up rather than down, bracket on rear armour has changed sides and the road has moved relative to the truck. I blame it on the kids....

David

Hanno Spoelstra 19-12-19 17:30

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Smith (Post 265555)
This picture with the playing children does not show the spare wheel mount on the left side.

Could the negative have been reversed, and this is the same vehicle in the crater seen in Pic #3 in post #8?

Tony and David,

Well spotted! I mirrored the colour photo, the rear door opens to the right now as well.

Thanks,
Hanno

Attachment 110876 Attachment 110877

Hanno Spoelstra 02-11-21 10:06

1 Attachment(s)
Another photo by Erwin van der Meer:

Attachment 125614