MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Armour Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MkI* U.C. (Canadian) rear panel holes (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29404)

Lynn Eades 29-09-18 02:55

MkI* U.C. (Canadian) rear panel holes

2 Attachment(s)
Can someone with reliable info please advise which holes should be in the rear panel?
Two pictures follow.
The holes are numbered and 3 gas cut holes have letters.

This panel has all the holes for a Mortar carrier. Were they all drilled the same, or should the U.C. have less or other holes?
I don't see the holes for the rubber rest angle irons. Have these been lost to the gas axe?
I have not numbered the bren mount holes or the battery box holes. I know I need them.
so what should be there?
Thanks in advance.
Lynn.

Lynn Eades 29-09-18 03:12

1 Attachment(s)
trying again.
Help Hanno! This photo is across the screen, with the numbers across the top in my files, but posts 90 degees out. How can we fix this?

rob love 29-09-18 03:19

I am going by memory here, but 11 and 12 as well as 3 and 4, are for footman loops.

1 and 2 are for the Bous rifle butt rest bracket.

I will have to check on 5, but pretty sure that is for the left upper rail of the engine cover.

13,15,16,17,19,and 20 are for the rivets that hold the firing rest brackets on.

9 and 10 are for the flare pistol holster bracket.

7 and 8 are for the radio operators back cushion

I would have to look at my carrier for the rest, but there will be a hole somewhere the top right engine cover (number 6 I believe?), and some more for the armour plate by the radio operators head (check marks I believe).

ABC don't belong, 14 and 18 are mysteries to me.

From what I have seen, the plates were pretty much all punched the same, and if an existing hole was not used, it was rivetted over.

Michael R. 29-09-18 06:20

2 Attachment(s)
. . . if it was formerly a Canadian factory mortar carrier (C21UCM UC-2), they were produced on MK-I* hulls.
Is your goal to use this plate on a MK-I* carrier ?

RichardT10829 29-09-18 08:54

11.12 3 + 4 are footman loops for the canvass cover straps

RichardT10829 29-09-18 08:55

7+ 8 are for the rear seat rest

RichardT10829 29-09-18 08:57

6 engine cover frame rail top... two ticks above are for the armour angled plate that sits on the top of the engine cover

RichardT10829 29-09-18 08:59

A and B are nonesense.

All holes should be 5/16 (8mm) or 3/8 (9.6mm)

Hanno Spoelstra 29-09-18 12:28

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn Eades (Post 254411)
trying again.
Help Hanno! This photo is across the screen, with the numbers across the top in my files, but posts 90 degees out. How can we fix this?

Did you post this picture from a mobile device?

I saved your picture to my PC and then rotated it through 90 degrees, and reattached here:
Attachment 102570

Lynn Eades 29-09-18 13:12

Thank you everybody.
Hanno, it went from my phone to my laptop. I rotated it on the laptop and then saved it. Then I posted it and it turned vertical again.
Anyhow thank you for your assistance with the technology.
Michael R. It is my aim to make the new piece of 8mm mild steel clamped to the underside (not obvious), into the rear panel for my MkI* U.C. :bang:

RichardT10829 29-09-18 16:10

Lynn, you not just want to graft the holes on the original armour, or is it pretty corroded ?

Lynn Eades 29-09-18 22:57

the story so far

Hi Richard, I have borrowed this original plate as well as the left side plate. I have my own right side pattern, but will be making up all three from new mild steel. Ya does what ya can, wid what ya got! (I've just chewed though about 15 cut off discs)
I picked up a part lower hull with a cut floor that came with a T number, T53043
It's frame no. is 4291. my frame no. is 4282 only 9 different. Counting back, it is likely my lower hull came from T53034. No decision yet. The days of finding a complete usable hull in this country are possibly gone.
It will be a very original carrier. (some of it 2018 model) (is there an icon for "tongue in cheek"?) but I have many of the original bits that I gathered while trying to get my Bren carrier together.
Cutting out a new div. plate is next........

Rob Beale 30-09-18 04:09

Hi Lynn

The upper and lower numbers don't match. I have 4200 lower and 4193 upper.

I suggest the upper and lower hull hulls were assembled separately then united as a complete hull at Hamilton Bridge Co. When they arrived at the Ford plant stacked two high on rail flats they would not have been sorted to enter the factory sequentially and the T number was probably painted in the order that they went out the door! (Michael R's pics of the milestone carriers show them inside the factory).

A, B and the two below them could be flame cut in the field for a bracket?

14 and 18 could be for the re-positioned starting handle brackets of a mortar carrier. (There is another bracket on the POL can holder).

Rob