MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Chevy Art deco 1942 (4x2) (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28622)

Davistine Liddle 25-02-18 17:43

Chevy Art deco 1942 (4x2)

5 Attachment(s)
My name is Davis and Recently i got chance to get a Chevy art deco truck here in India. But while going through inspection i found that it has some remains of its original olive drab color.May be it was used in a war.Its a 1.5 ton truck .Kindly guide me on this which model is this.In India when there is a British rule we have a GMC assembly line here in India(Bombay Sewree Plant).And these small.medium and big trucks built here (right hand drive) May be on Canadian Type. i think for common wealth countries during war and after that for commercial purpose.These truck where called "Bombay Chevrolet" here in India.

Seems this truck is having a Canadian connection any help appreciated thank you :)

Will share more pics later.

Serial Number Near Distributor:TR 4053945 (R stands for RHD if not correct me)
Block Casting Number:GM 839253 230
Radiator No:42 B 3114520
Carb: Carter W1

Attachment 98267 Attachment 98268 Attachment 98269 Attachment 98270 Attachment 98271

Andrew H. 25-02-18 21:25

Hi Davis,
Thats a great truck! Many such trucks were used by British forces in India during WW2. Its well worth restoring.

Bruce Parker (RIP) 25-02-18 22:19

I have to ask...what is an art deco truck?

Grant Bowker 25-02-18 23:10

Art deco was a "school of design" of the (roughly) WW1 to WW2 period that was applied to many things - ships, trains, buildings, furniture, jewelry, etc. including Chevrolet trucks.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...rt_Deco_trucks
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hc...t/3690821.html

Bruce Parker (RIP) 25-02-18 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Bowker (Post 248175)
Art deco was a "school of design" of the (roughly) WW1 to WW2 period that was applied to many things - ships, trains, buildings, furniture, jewelry, etc. including Chevrolet trucks.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...rt_Deco_trucks
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hc...t/3690821.html

I know what art deco is, my wife even seeing fit to have some decorative pieces. It's when the term is applied to a truck I get confused.

Grant Bowker 26-02-18 00:32

Oops. Remove foot from mouth.
I suspect the parallel curved chrome grille bars were a large part of what led to the name.

Lang 26-02-18 05:10

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of Indian Chevrolets done up.

Davistine Liddle 26-02-18 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew H. (Post 248170)
Hi Davis,
Thats a great truck! Many such trucks were used by British forces in India during WW2. Its well worth restoring.

Thank you Andrew do you have any more information on it :) Regards Davis

Davistine Liddle 26-02-18 06:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lang (Post 248179)
Here are a couple of Indian Chevrolets done up.

Thank you Lang :) But I think above pic is not from india.Will share you more pics

Davistine Liddle 26-02-18 06:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davistine Liddle (Post 248163)
My name is Davis and Recently i got chance to get a Chevy art deco truck
here in India. But while going through inspection i found that it has some
remains of its original olive drab color.May be it was used in a war.Its a 1.5 ton truck .Kindly guide me on this which model is this.In India when there is a British rule we have a GMC assembly line here in India(Bombay Sewree Plant).And these small.medium and big trucks built here (right hand drive) May be on Canadian Type. i think for common wealth countries during war and after that for commercial purpose.These truck where called "Bombay Chevrolet" here in India.

Seems this truck is having a Canadian connection any help appreciated thank you :)

Will share more pics later.

Radiator No:42 B 3114520
Carb: Carter W1

Thank you All :) Feeling Happy now but need more help to determine the year of this truck..:)

Lang 26-02-18 07:39

1 Attachment(s)
Davistine

You may be right but they came off Indian web sites saying they were in India. I do not know.

Here is another Indian one Udaipur.

Lang

Davistine Liddle 26-02-18 14:39

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lang (Post 248183)
Davistine

You may be right but they came off Indian web sites saying they were in India. I do not know.

Here is another Indian one Udaipur.

Lang

The udaipur one is from Maharaja(King) of Udaipur Collection i think its a 1946 i am mentioning more photos

Big truck is a 2 ton

motto 26-02-18 21:44

Suspect that the truck in the two photos at the top of post 12 ( referred to as big truck?) is in fact a Maple Leaf or parts thereof. These had heavier axles front and rear than the 1-1/2 ton.

David

Davistine Liddle 01-03-18 18:09

5 Attachment(s)
Hello Stuart

I dont found any data plate on this truck.The place you are mentioning is blank on this truck not even holes on that place.but the radiator marking 42 B shows its from 1942 and B stands for February. And Sending you the similarities.What i found a Block casting number which is not so common unable to trace on web but seems close to CMPs block casting number

Hanno Spoelstra 21-03-18 12:05

Davis,

What a great find! It seems to be largely original, albeit in need of restoration. Seems it had to work hard for its upkeep, but that must have saved it from being scrapped.

Further to your PM, this thread you may not have seen as of yet: Bombay Chev. Also, you may want to find a copy of Wheels & Tracks Magazine issue no. 6 (they do turn up on ebay etc.) as that has an article on "Desert Chevrolets".

HTH,
Hanno

Davistine Liddle 19-08-18 17:50

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 248793)
Davis,

What a great find! It seems to be largely original, albeit in need of restoration. Seems it had to work hard for its upkeep, but that must have saved it from being scrapped.

Further to your PM, this thread you may not have seen as of yet: Bombay Chev. Also, you may want to find a copy of Wheels & Tracks Magazine issue no. 6 (they do turn up on ebay etc.) as that has an article on "Desert Chevrolets".

HTH,
Hanno

Thank you Hanno

>Let me check those link here I am uploading some pics which one of friend send to me this is a small chevy converted to small mini bus but still retains its original engine but the owner does want to sell this vehicle located somewhere in Punjab INdia..
> 2nd and 3rd Pic -Its a Diamond T Truck auctioned by Govt of West Bengal Calcutta
>4th pic-Dont know the exact truck name but seems from world war.(Can you identify its make.

Davistine Liddle 28-03-20 10:12

4 Attachment(s)
My friend has sent me this truck pics. This Truck was lying in the Army Depot of India somewhere in Rajasthan. I am interested in this but seems truck is in very bad shape can someone identify its year and ton capacity.whether its 1.5 ton or 2 ton.And any more info on this Thank you :) :) :note:

Philippe Jeanneau 28-03-20 18:28

Chevrolet 1533x2

It could easily be a 2 ton model... Is the factory tag still present on the cab? I would definitely try to save it from the scrap yard... You can also find casting #'s or part numbers on the front and rear axles that would help you identify the truck...

cliff 28-03-20 23:11

looks like a 3 ton LWB judging by the reinforced chassis rails :)

Bob Carriere 28-03-20 23:16

I would wager $5.00 on being at least a 1942....

....but same sheet metal model was built until 1946.......

It appears to be a longer wheel base than 133 in. ????

Also all the Canadian LRDG model were without windshield post or roof pillar and described in the manual as a flat cowl and not curved like the windshield model.

A picture of the data plate or at least measurements of the wheel base would be more accurate.

Examining the centre of the front wheel shows a flat cover over the wheel bearings....... the Timken bearing axles of the LRDG all seem to have the rounded bearing cap cover similar to what is fond on HD Maple Leaf trucks or the C15.

Stay healthy

lynx42 25-05-20 09:36

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davistine Liddle (Post 253124)
T
>4th pic-Dont know the exact truck name but seems from world war.(Can you identify its make.

Attachment 114309

Davidstine, it is a Diamond T 981 (known as an M20) tank transporter prime mover. What is parked behind it?