MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   new member (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29066)

Richard Salter 28-06-18 23:23

:) hi every one i am new to this site i was told about it by Kevin Powles i own a mk1 Loyd Carrier i have had it for a couple of years some of you may know it its Paul Vizzer from Hollands one.

I have a H licence and have been trying to register it on the road but DVLA refused saying it had steel tracks any ideas please. :confused

stephen crowhurst 29-06-18 09:47

Steel Tracks

Hello Richard, welcome to the site.

If my memory is correct from when I registered my Universal Carrier 20 odd years ago the weight limit for metal tracks on the public highway was four tons so the carrier just scraped through using the unloaded weight from the handbook which I had to send as proof. I believe that your Loyd Carrier is about half a ton heavier which takes it over the limit and would then require rubber pads to some kind to fitted.

I hope there may be some Loyd Carrier lads out there that may know a way around this for you.

Regards Stephen

Lynn Eades 29-06-18 12:01

The Loyd was built in England wasn't it? What about it being previously road legal in the U.K.?

RichardT10829 29-06-18 20:36

Weight isn’t the issue per’se however p/sqI and track pitch are. The track is the same as universal, so pitch isn’t a problem. Paul remade that machine to high standards likely with lighter steel ;). , also the surface area regarding track against the road is greater than a universal....ergo it will be well under the legal limit.

What you have is some tool at DVLA who doesn’t know what he is talking about.

Tax / mot exempt, a year and weight (call it 3.5 tonnes)

Go to another office and try again mate.

Richard Salter 29-06-18 20:56

Thanks for this i know it is only 3.5 ton and also i sent a not to them about rubber wheels and suspension as it states in the rules so i think your right i have ended up with some one who doesn't know what they are talking about. I think the trouble is its not the norm, Ill have another go Thanks :bang:

kosbie 29-06-18 21:21

I am sure Richie is right, I have been told so many different things by the DVLA staff in the past, even with trucks let alone tracked vehicles. Had three different opinions in one day once about a CMP I wanted to register. For most of the staff this will be the first time they have been approached about a historic tracked vehicle, so not surprising really. Keep going until you find someone who says what you want, get their name, make a note of what they say, the date and time etc. I've always got there in the end.
Good luck
Rick

RichardT10829 29-06-18 23:11

They wanted to send a "representative" to identify and age my Mk1, I had a report from Nigel regarding the machines age and provenance (it was done as a favour so don't ask him folks)

I showed the DVLA chap the report and the three books written by Nigel, and they were still not happy.

anyway they sent some guy who was clueless, I showed him the same report which he immediately accepted and took it away.

a week later I had my registration documents and the carrier was good to go.

Richard. The issue with regards to rubber wheels and suspension applies to the speed limit you can drive the vehicle (20mph for carriers)

you can still drive tracked vehicles on the road without the above but the speed limit is 5mph

Richard Salter 01-07-18 21:51

Thanks for this info i have had another go and will post application on Monday 2nd. I have looked up on the DVLA web and apart from the rubber wheels and springs which you point out is to do with speed but it also says that keeping metal or rubber tracks in a serviceable condition
so here's to hopping :confused

RichardT10829 01-07-18 23:38

Yes the serviceable condition is a a bit of a grey area, define serviceable ! The issue is you could be going down the road leaving marks etc, and if DVSA or police were to stop you as a result, their version of serviceable may be different to yours... it’s all a bit dodgy for me.

Correctly meshed and tensioned tracks with the pads checked regular and you will be fine buddy :)

Richard Salter 21-08-18 22:58

Dvla

Hi Guys
I have finally done it 5th time lucky complained to them and the team leader phoned me back and agreed no reason why it should not be registered so finaly got docs through post My Loyd is registered Hooray :D my new reg YXS 643 not bad reg :cheers:

Tom Millward 22-08-18 00:11

Congratulations Richard, did you happen to get the name of the guy who sorted you out. I have my registration paperwork ready to be filled out!

Did you have to get the MVT to verify the age of the vehicle?

Cheers,

Paul Dutton 26-08-18 09:08

Great result, at this rate, there will be more carriers on the road than Ford Kia’s, which is not a bad thing :cheers:

Richard Salter 29-08-18 21:56

new reg

Hi just got back from The great Dorset steam rally i exebited in the military section with my Leyland Hippo and the Loyd Carrier 5 day show!

The chap who sorted it was T Thomas

Ordered plates to day from Jesop :D

kevin powles 30-08-18 07:12

Great Result Richard, it was always going to be the case, stay safe on the roads. :salute:

RichardT10829 30-08-18 08:18

Nice one Richard.

All we need now are gratitious pictures of said happy owner with his vehicle, video footage even better ;)

maple_leaf_eh 30-08-18 22:20

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog! Well done.

FWIW, I was looking at the City of Ottawa Bylaw on use of highways. https://ottawa.ca/en/use-and-care-roads-law-no-2003-498 The language specifically states tracked vehicles, but allows for written exemptions, ie parades ...

Section 3(1)No person shall, unless otherwise authorized by the provisions of this or any other by-law of the City,

(m) move, or cause to be moved a vehicle equipped with cleats, flanges, or tracks on its wheels, or rollers, or any of them, on or along the traveled portion of the highway, except by means of a float, trailer, or other similar device, providing that a vehicle is so equipped including a vehicle for the digging and backfilling of trenches, may be moved directly across the traveled portion of the highway, if a preventative mat has first been laid on the surface of the portion of the highway to be crossed, provided however that this paragraph shall not apply when a vehicle is operating with the written permission of the General Manager;

Lynn Eades 30-08-18 23:16

Terry, Stating the obvious, tracked vehicle laws like firearms laws vary where ever you go.

Richard Salter 02-09-18 16:10

loyd carrier registerd

2 Attachment(s)
hi Richard T
here are some pictures of it not got plates on it yet but got the new tilt if Paul Visser pics up this tread?! do you like the tilt on your old carrier? :D

ajmac 04-09-18 00:43

Canvas looks great Richard, not cheap though. Do you need to do anything specific to it to keep it water proof?

Richard Salter 07-09-18 00:54

canvas

2 Attachment(s)
no jim at Alied canvas did it was expensive but a lot of work he did the one on my Leyand Hippo a couple of years ago well made double stitched as well