MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Restoration Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ford CMP muffler (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22269)

Hanno Spoelstra 29-06-14 18:18

Ford CMP muffler

Who can help me source a replacement of the muffler as fitted to Ford CMP trucks?

The original was a one-piece "muffler and inlet pipe assembly" (*C01YF 5230A). As I am only looking to replace the muffler, I do not need an exact copy as a replacement, basic dimensions of the Ford muffler are welcome so I can source one which comes close.

Or does anyone know of an off-the-shelf muffler which fits? I once heard a Volvo 240 muffler is about the right size.

Some pictures of how/where a muffler would be fitted originally are welcome, too.

Thanks in advance!
Hanno

Hanno Spoelstra 29-06-14 18:42

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 197156)
Some pictures of how /where a muffler would be fitted originally are welcome, too.

Here are top views from the manual. Am I correct that the exhaust is only supported by two hangers, one behind the muffler and one on the end of the pipe at the rear of the fuel tank?

Attachment 66177

Attachment 66178

Hanno Spoelstra 29-06-14 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 197160)
Am I correct that the exhaust is only supported by two hangers, one behind the muffler and one on the end of the pipe at the rear of the fuel tank?

This would be the one behind the muffler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler (Post 177178)
However we discovered I have another one on my F60S, I think you may have taken a photo. I should have taken that one off to give you, it's in perfect condition, with the remains of an original muffler by the look of it.
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/at...4&d=1362896779

And this one the one behind the gas tank:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler (Post 177179)
Anyway the bracket is clearly the same as the front one, sans bends, and possibly a bit shorter. There's also a support strap underneath, presumably to minimize flexing over rough terrain...? I imagine this piece would have been straight originally, and was possibly bent by a size 12 boot using the tailpipe as a convenient step!
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/at...8&d=1362904860

Hanno Spoelstra 29-06-14 19:00

And I found Tony posted the correct dimensions :thup2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler (Post 185965)
All my Fords have 2" engine pipes. Two of them have what appear to be original mufflers (dished end plates, 6" diameter, 18" length) and both of these have 1 5/8" tailpipes. This is consistent with several original tailpipe brackets examined by Jacques and me recently. We determined that they're designed for 1 5/8" pipe. They will accept 1 3/4" pipe, but will not fully close when tightened.

Jacques Reed 01-07-14 01:10

Ford CMP muffler position and info

3 Attachment(s)
Hello Hanno,

Attached are two photos of an original muffler as installed on a Ford Ambulance at the Bandiana Army Museum in Australia.

It shows the front end of the muffler very close to being in line with the rear step plate bracket.

The third photo is of an original rear bracket on my F15A. With my generic muffler installed, which is the same length as an original, the position is very close to the museum example. To prevent confusion from the photo, my tailpipe has an adaptor which mates the 1-5/8" tailpipe to the 2" outlet of the muffler. When installed, the adaptor fits inside the outlet and the smaller end goes into the bracket. The pipe was left a bit longer for fitting.

Something which is sometimes overlooked, which I have inadvertently done, when shopping for replacement mufflers is the position of the inlet and outlet relative to each other. My replacement one has the inlet and outlet 180 degrees apart.

The museum example shows the inlet at the 6 o'clock position when viewed from that end and the outlet at the 3 o'clock position when viewed from that end (90 degrees apart). I intend to juggle my exhaust pipe a bit to ensure it hangs properly but it would have been nice to have it all line up from the start.

Hope this is of some help in locating it on the truck and sourcing a correct one.

Cheers

Private_collector 01-07-14 08:52

Hanno,

I have contact details for a company in USA that can make an exact copy of original muffler. Just haven't found where I stored their details. May have posted their name onmy resto thread. Still looking!

Private_collector 01-07-14 10:37

I found it, I found it!

Found the guy who can make your repro muffler to Ford specs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-41-FORD...38e891&vxp=mtr

He is still sellling on ebay, and the above link is to one which is already pretty close.

Hope it helps.

Hanno Spoelstra 01-07-14 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Private_collector (Post 197242)
Found the guy who can make your repro muffler to Ford specs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-41-FORD...38e891&vxp=mtr

He is still sellling on ebay, and the above link is to one which is already pretty close.

Tony,

Thanks a lot, $100 is not a bad price but I'm sure the shipping will probably double that. I'm looking to buy locally.

Hanno

Hanno Spoelstra 01-07-14 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques Reed (Post 197234)
The museum example shows the inlet at the 6 o'clock position when viewed from that end and the outlet at the 3 o'clock position when viewed from that end (90 degrees apart). I intend to juggle my exhaust pipe a bit to ensure it hangs properly but it would have been nice to have it all line up from the start.

Jacques,

Certainly of help as I was wondering about the offset for the in- and outlet pipes.

Can you confirm the measurements listed by Tony W.: 6" diameter, 18" length, 2" inlet and 1-5/8" outlet pipes?

Thanks,
Hanno

Jacques Reed 02-07-14 00:14

Ford CMP muffler dimensions

Hi Hanno,

Those dimensions seem correct. A ford Truck manual for wartime trucks, not CMP type however, also gave the muffler dimensions as 6" Diameter and 18" long. Would reasonably assume the mufflers are the same. Ford tended to keep it simple and use off the shelf items whenever possible. By example: the choke and throttle knobs on the CMP being the same as used on their passenger cars of that era.

Two sets of original exhaust pipes also confirm that the muffler inlet ID is 2"

I cannot independently verify the 1-5/8" ID outlet on the muffler as I used Tony's information from brackets he supplied me, however the careful analysis of both original tailpipe and rear muffler brackets makes me 99% certain it is 1-5/8" ID. (1-3/4" OD pipe is too big a stretch in the brackets). A Dennis Carpenter Ford Reproduction car tailpipe bracket I have also indicates tailpipe sizes were 1 5/8" OD.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Stew Robertson 02-07-14 20:09

Hi Hanno
I think there is a difference between 12 and 13 cabs
I have an original ford 12 pipe that the muffler slid over and
the muffler was welded on at each end
I will see if I can find the picture of the pipe

Hanno Spoelstra 06-07-14 17:16

@ Jacques, certainly helps! I have passed on the dimensions to my friend's local garage, he's sourcing a muffler for me.

@ Stew, I would be interested to see the differences between 12 and 13 Cabs. Could you make some pics?

Thanks,
Hanno

Jacques Reed 08-07-14 02:07

Ford CMP Muffler- tailpipe

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Hanno,

Glad to help.

As a matter of interest here is the Chinnis Carpenter, I mean Dennis Carpenter passenger car tailpipe bracket in the jury rigged tailpipe bracket I made to get the position right.

The new tailpipe in it is 1-5/8" OD. As you can see it fits well and the next size up, 1-3/4" would be a stretch to get it in, let alone close it.

Having said that Dennis Carpenter so is not necessarily the final say on it. They do not always get it right, especially on their Chinese made stuff. The 5/16" carriage bolts in the brackets they supplied were UNC threads with a 13 mm AF nut! A 1/2" AF spanner would no way fit on it. Also going by the crossover pipe clamp on two original exhaust pipes I have they are both 5/16" UNF not UNC threads on the carriage bolts. Would reasonably assume they would use the same type bolt throughout to keep it simple. Maybe a minor thing but shows lack of research on their part.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers

Private_collector 23-07-14 03:07

Quote request sent for manufacture, Ford muffler copy.

Just emailed the company in USA that builds custom muffers & exhaust systems.
If what I have read is correct, shipping to Aus is around $55 AUD.
At that price, I am happy to purchase. Muffler cost is $120.

The following, are the specs. I have taken from this thread, and my enquiry about supply is based on those requirements. If you feel any of those specifications are NOT correct, please let me know, and I will ammend my requirements to the manufacturer.

Specifications needed as follows:
Round Muffler with Domed Ends
Length: 18 inches
Width: 6 inches
Inlet pipe ID: 2 inches
Outlet pipe ID: 1-5/8 inches

Inlet pipe location: 6 o'clock (as viewed from inlet end of muffler)
Outlet pipe location: 3 o'clock (as viewed from outlet end of muffler)

I don't know if these would be any cheaper if multiples ordered, but I will ask, if anyone expresses an interest.

Bob McNeill 23-07-14 04:02

muffler

If you are looking for a muffler that's close to that ford size, go to your local tractor parts dealer and check out the SPARAX tractor mufflers, 5" dia, 2" inlet, domed ends, price about $110.

Private_collector 23-07-14 11:45

Hello Bob,

Obviously you have had the same thought as I did. I once gave consideration to one of those some time ago, but the girth is a little too small to pull off the effect. Also noticed, if I am correct, and have been looking at the right ones, that the intake/output tubes are centrally located to the muffler ends.

It's that time of year, when we get a few crumbs of our tax dollars back, if lucky! In my case, I have been doing 'Salary Sacrifice' for the full 12mths, and several months ago reduced my working week from 5 days down to only 4. These combined should get me a few quid (of my OWN money) back. I have been waiting for this annual event for a long time, because it is the only time I can afford such an expensive item as the custom made muffler. Assuming the reply to my enquiry proves cost is approximately same as their ebay listing of a very similar muffler, then I will give serious thought to ordering one. It should not be any more than approx $180 USD, including the postage.

I know its a lot of money. I just feel the muffler will be too visible to substitute one with different dimensions or tube locations.

Hanno Spoelstra 24-07-14 20:20

1 Attachment(s)
I ended up using a universal muffler made by Bosal (a Dutch company ;) )

Number: 248-016
Attachment 66643
Diameter [mm]: 157
Length [mm]: 520
Inner Diameter 1 [mm]: 48
Inner Diameter 2 [mm]: 48

H.

Vincent BLASSIC 17-05-18 22:29

Hello....

Any other actual source for Exhaust mufflers ????

I will need one soon...

Thanks

Barry Churcher 17-05-18 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra (Post 198062)
I ended up using a universal muffler made by Bosal (a Dutch company ;) )

Thanks for the info Hanno. I use Bosal exhaust for all my import work. Good coverage and excellent quality. I just never knew that it was a Dutch company.
I will feel a little better now every time I use it.
Cheers,
Barry

Hanno Spoelstra 28-05-18 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Churcher (Post 250485)
Thanks for the info Hanno. I use Bosal exhaust for all my import work. Good coverage and excellent quality. I just never knew that it was a Dutch company.
I will feel a little better now every time I use it.

Hello Barry, it a Dutch family-owned business success story. In 1923 Mr. Bos in the town of Alkmaar (hence Bosal) set up shop to manufacture exhaust systems. They are now one of the three largest exhaust manufacturers worldwide.

With Dirk's LWD shop being so close to Alkmaar, this may make you feel even a little more better :D

Hanno