MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Parts/Sources/Prices (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Chev pinion bearing (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25304)

Dave Schindel 21-02-16 02:53

Chev pinion bearing

Has anyone come up with a reasonably priced pinion bearing for the CMP Chev differential? Should be # 53390-D. So far I have found prices in the 2-3 hundred $ mark.

Bob Carriere 23-02-16 04:42

Some listing on Ebay and some Classic Chev dealers.

Hi Dave

some are available from the web from $24. to $125.00 US.

My suggestion is take the bearing with you and visit a GBS...General Bearing Service.... the will measure the ID and OD and will use their computer search engine to find of any such bearing is still manufactured.... where they are and how much to buy and ship to your nearest location. Having the actual part number may or may not be useful as replacements may have a who new set of serial number.

Same applies for bearing race, seals quicky sleeves for repairing worn shafts.

Of all the axles I have worked on the bearing were always good which implies to me that a good set of used bearings/bearing race is easy to find and used maybe a lot cheaper.... you will inevitably need to replace the seal and cut yourself a felt washer. Gear lash will need adjustment as per the CMP manual. or use a heavy grocery bag made of brown craft paper as clearance for the teeth.

what are you working on???? pictures would be nice as some of us can't read.

Good luck.

Cheers

motto 23-02-16 06:36

If it is a C15 that you are working on it uses a double row ball race as the main pinion bearing, all other CMPs seem to use a tapered roller assembly with two cones and a common cup.
The GMC CCKW banjo diff trucks used a similar third member to the C15 though a slightly lower ratio,( 6.66:1), the bearings are the same. The story is the same with American 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Chevs while the modified civilian 1-1/2 ton 4x2 trucks used an identical third member to the C15, (6.17:1)
It may be worth trying some of the few remaining parts dealers for the aforementioned vehicles or scrounging wrecks.
Be aware that the bearing you want has the inner race protruding on one side, there is a similar bearing without that feature.

David

Dave Schindel 24-02-16 00:08

Sorry,here's more info. The vehicle is an F15a with chev differentials.4x4 and the pinion has the double race bearing. Prices are crazy.I have the inner tapered roller bearings but the double outer race is the tricky part.I found some on ebay but with exchange and shipping they are still $300. gears are 6:39.

Dave Schindel 06-03-16 20:10

Got one on the way.Thanks for the help.Dave

Dave Schindel 25-03-16 21:43

Well, the bearing showed up. Timken, looks like NEW manufacture.Very bright,shiney,slightly different outside contour compared to old stock.New box,etc. Looks like they made a new run of these bearings