MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Universal Carrier EBay -Canada (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26749)

Darrin Wright 16-12-16 22:16

Universal Carrier EBay -Canada

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Universa...m=272480594607

In Walkerton, Ontario, Canada

no connection

rob love 16-12-16 22:26

Started at a buck, which is how I like to see an auction. But with 40 bids, and now at $8800 USD ($11,733 CAD) methinks the buyer's reserve, which still has not been reached, may be a little greedy. Especially considering the engine would likely be a boat anchor being wide open like that.

A decade back I thought I was nuts for buying mine (reasonably complete ) for $7500 USD off ebay.

Robert Bergeron 16-12-16 22:40

Hey Rob , i am in transit to home on leave . Could i assume this is a MK 1 with the two headlights ?

Bruce Parker (RIP) 16-12-16 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron (Post 232340)
Hey Rob , i am in transit to home on leave . Could i assume this is a MK 1 with the two headlights ?

I say Mk.II*, the two headlamps notwithstanding. The giveaways are the oil filter, round hole on the division plate, seat and holes for the spare bogie on the front deck.

When I see a carrier like that, 40 bids and $8k plus I hug mine (even at -14C)

Lynn Eades 17-12-16 01:25

Definately MkII* there is also the start lever. Im with Rob in guessing the high bidder might feel a little dissapointed later. There's a lot of work to do on that carrier. I wonder how good the floor is?

chris vickery 17-12-16 02:12

Desperation in its worst.
I am amazed at the level of restoration that is possible when starting with next to nothing. Been there, done that, have the T shirt...
As I have grown older, maybe a bit wiser, I begin to look at restoration work with a biased and jaded opinion. For the new enthusiast, a cheap buy at entry level gets you in the door. The many thousands of dollars later is what will kill you, or maybe wreck your domestic peace.
I am a firm believer in purchasing the best quality goods that you can with your budget available and go from there. It is way to easy to fall into a money pit, considering what is available to those who have some patience and a cheque book... :thup2:

rob love 17-12-16 07:45

Agree with the others it's a mk2. Giveaways are:
1: left headlamp is not on the mk1 type stand but rather a mk2 headlamp moved onto the fender
2: Tow cable bracket on the front plate
3: The hole in the left side of the division plate
4: ration box under co-driver's seat along with the high seat.
5: mk2 drain plug in front floor
6: fitted with oil filter
7: lower engine cover angle iron of the "take-a-part" type
8: No holes to the left and right sides of the diff on the lower back of hull
9: engine cover vent of the simpler expanded metal screen type (mk1 is woven).

I have some old hulls out back, one even with an engine that I suspect works. But I think it will remain in the lineup for years to come....too important as spare parts.

Some lucky ebay sniper is sure going to have his hands full with this one. Then again, the sprockets are still showing some meat on their teeth. Perhaps there is a decent set of track for only $12K or so.

charlie fitton 17-12-16 14:21

Looking in my backyard, I'm rich! Rich, I tell ya...( rubbing hand evilly )

And not that long ago, I was considering cutting for scrap..

f

Bruce Parker (RIP) 17-12-16 15:50

Still only $8,800 USD and 40 bids. Somehow I was expecting more this morning but at least there's still room for someone to pick that baby up before the price gets ridiculous...

Bruce Parker (RIP) 18-12-16 23:00

Wow....

US $9,100.00
Reserve not met
[ 41 bids ]

Place bid

Enter US $9,200.00 or more

chris vickery 18-12-16 23:47

Pure insanity...

Bruce Parker (RIP) 18-12-16 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris vickery (Post 232407)
Pure insanity...

I bet the reserve is around $12,000 (USD!!!) but I ain't checking. And what, $7,000 to $10,000 to restore it on top?

chris vickery 19-12-16 01:03

Bruce, I bet $10K wouldn't even come close...
Engine and transmission rebuilds $4-5K min
Repro armour?
Sandblasting and paint $2-3K min
Bearings, seals, hardware, electrical items plus all the missing do-dads and things to make it right and make it complete.
I was really surprised recently to see what the price of sandblasting is these days.
There is a really nice and quite complete T16 on Ebay at the moment that is around $5700USD that has not hit reserve yet but is likely a much better starting point. :thup2:

Bruce Parker (RIP) 21-12-16 00:37

Looks like the bidding stopped when $12,000 US didn't meet the reserve.

Quote:

Item condition: Used

“Has motor and transmission. Missing some armour as can be seen in the photos.”
Ended: Dec 19, 2016 , 5:37PM
Current bid: US $12,100.00
[ 51 bids ]
Shipping: Will ship to Canada. Read item description or contact seller for shipping options.
Item location: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada
Seller: steve9510 (28 ) | Seller's other items

rob love 21-12-16 01:50

Bruce

No doubt the seller feels he will do better. Personally, I would have accepted an offer of about 2K on a hull like that and ran with the money. Mind you the wildcard is the condition of the track, sprockets and roadwheels. His roadwheels look good and the sprockets show some life. If the track is in the same condition, then that would warrant some mark up on the expected sales price. But to turn down a bid of 12K USD....yikes.

Gordon Yeo 21-12-16 04:17

Walkerton carrier

At one point he has three carriers in various states in the yard. A friend went in to enquire about them and the story was they had been sold into the USA and waiting for the deal to close. That was a while back.

Robert Bergeron 21-12-16 04:50

Wow Rob , great list of specific detail differences with the Mk 1 . All , 12K and not met reserve ? Incredible indeed .