MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The MLU Sappers Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   WWII Engineer poster (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10647)

sapper740 04-03-08 00:11

WWII Engineer poster

1 Attachment(s)
Companies supplying vehicles and kit to the war effort understood the value of advertising their wares as used by the military to the general public. The war wasn't going to last forever and it was good business to be seen as patriotic and that their equipment could hold up to the rigors of the field. Here is one of my favourite posters of an Autocar mounted crane doing, what else, bridging.

CHIMO! Derek.

Les Freathy 04-03-08 08:42

Hi Derek

Thats a nice poster but tell me, i have never seen a photo of the Autocar with a Quickway crane mounted on the back, if it was a item i have missed something over all these years or was it may be a prototype arrangement if so are there any photos around
cheers
Les

Les Freathy 04-03-08 08:56

4 Attachment(s)
Just a thought Derek, as you have started this thread with a poster advert i think it would be a good idea to use it for other posters etc so if its OK here are a few more, i have some 1950s bits as well which i will dig out
cheers
Les

sapper740 04-03-08 15:20

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Freathy (Post 94835)
Hi Derek

Thats a nice poster but tell me, i have never seen a photo of the Autocar with a Quickway crane mounted on the back, if it was a item i have missed something over all these years or was it may be a prototype arrangement if so are there any photos around
cheers
Les

I haven't seen any Autocar mounted Quickway cranes either Les, sometimes the companies took a little poetic licence in their ads and this might be an example of that. I'll upload the one picture I have of a Quickway crane, which unfortunately is a blurry picture of one mounted on a CCKW? Federal 606? beside the Seine River in '44. I've also included a couple of pics of Gar Wood cranes, one of which is mounted on a barge loading LVTs in the Marianas. CHIMO! Derek.

sapper740 04-03-08 15:23

More posters

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Freathy (Post 94836)
Just a thought Derek, as you have started this thread with a poster advert i think it would be a good idea to use it for other posters etc so if its OK here are a few more, i have some 1950s bits as well which i will dig out
cheers
Les

Excellent idea Les, this thread is the perfect place for more posters. I've uploaded some more.

sapper740 04-03-08 15:30

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper740 (Post 94869)
Excellent idea Les, this thread is the perfect place for more posters. I've uploaded some more.

Wrong button, here are the pics: :doh:

First poster: Barber Green Ditcher used by US Airfield Engineer Battalions
Second poster: International Fire truck RCAF
Third poster: International Harvester bulldozer
Fourth poster Evinrude powered raft carrying Jeep.

sapper740 04-03-08 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Freathy (Post 94836)
cheers
Les

A bit of symbolism in your second poster Les, notice how the bulldozer is burying a pick and shovel.

Les Freathy 05-03-08 15:16

3 Attachment(s)
A few more poster/ads on plant used by the military
cheers
Les

sapper740 07-03-08 15:37

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Freathy (Post 94835)
Hi Derek

cheers
Les

Les, check out this picture of a bridging company that has taken delivery of several new trucks, all of which have just the cab and no box on the back, suggesting they were delivered this way so as to have some equipment installed. I see a White and a Chevy...are those Autocars I see in this picture and if so doesn't this suggest the possibility if they were part of a bridging company that they might have had a crane installed at some point after this picture was taken? I know I'm clutching at straws here but what else were Autocars used for by a bridging company? I'll keep looking for more pics and maybe we'll be able to solve this riddle.

CHIMO! Derek.

Alex Blair (RIP) 07-03-08 16:12

Disapearing postings....

Derek..
Where did our Yellowknife Refueling postings go..??

:doh: :bang: :no4: :(

Alex Blair (RIP) 07-03-08 16:41

Belay that...!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Blair (Post 95036)
Derek..
Where did our Yellowknife Refueling postings go..??

:doh: :bang: :no4: :(

Derek..
I found them ..they were in another thread...
Jeez..I gotta stop drinking this early in the morning....
:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :D :support

gordon 07-03-08 18:14

The blurry one

Not possible to be exact, but that front end and front fender / wing shape is strongly suggestive of an International 6 x 6 2.5 ton. I'd say it's almost definitely NOT GMC or Studebaker

Gordon

sapper740 07-03-08 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Blair (Post 95038)
Jeez..I gotta stop drinking this early in the morning....
:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :D :support

Alex, you make it sound like that's a bad thing. :cheers:

cliff 07-03-08 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper740 (Post 95034)
Les, check out this picture of a bridging company that has taken delivery of several new trucks, all of which have just the cab and no box on the back, suggesting they were delivered this way so as to have some equipment installed. I see a White and a Chevy...are those Autocars I see in this picture and if so doesn't this suggest the possibility if they were part of a bridging company that they might have had a crane installed at some point after this picture was taken? I know I'm clutching at straws here but what else were Autocars used for by a bridging company? I'll keep looking for more pics and maybe we'll be able to solve this riddle.

CHIMO! Derek.

The AutoCars look like SWB tractor units and are probably there to get the fifth wheels fitted. :)

sapper740 08-03-08 22:18

The long and the short of it

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cliff (Post 95073)
The AutoCars look like SWB tractor units and are probably there to get the fifth wheels fitted. :)

You're quite likely right Cliff as there was a greater need for tractors to haul the pontoons around than crane trucks, tho' the tractors weren't limited to the SWB trucks solely. Check out these pics:

CHIMO! Derek