MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Victory on the high seas (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8049)

Keith Webb 06-02-07 02:12

Victory on the high seas

G'day all

Just calling in to St. Helens in Tasmania for a short time, I've sent some pics to Geoff - pls add to this thread.

Heading off tomorrow to points South, winding up in Hobart for the Wooden Boat Festival in a few days.

We're having fun, as you'll see from the pics which G will post...

Keith signing off...

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 06-02-07 02:21

Keefy, the pics are beautiful! I'll post them later this eve. Stay safe, my friend, and if we don't talk sooner, see you at Corowa!

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 06-02-07 11:38

Keefy's New Adventure

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of what Keefy is doing right now. First, Hamish having a nap on deck. Note the lanyard... the idea is to stay attached to the boat even in the weather! Anyway, seems Hamish has the right idea... :)

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 06-02-07 11:42

Next

1 Attachment(s)
Victory at Refuge Cove with the boys taking off in the tinny for a swim... silly buggers, don't they know the water's warm and wet?

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 06-02-07 11:44

Last

1 Attachment(s)
"Deal Island - what a gorgeous place." Looks bloody boring to me... all that tropical paradise gets old in a hurry, especially when the windchill factor here is about -40c right about now... :D

Keith Webb 12-02-07 11:40

Not to mention

1 Attachment(s)
These two crayfish the size of small children which we swapped for a couple of bottles of wine on Flinders Island.

Keith Webb 12-02-07 11:50

The MIGHTY Victory

1 Attachment(s)
See here leaving St. Helens in Tasmania. She's powered by a Gardner 6 cylinder diesel, and chugs along nicely doing 9.5 kt on 800 RPM.

She rolls and wallows in a swell, and interestingly was has the hull design of a yacht of early 20th century, being designed by a yacht designer.

Incidentally, the water down South is bloody cold.

Keith Webb 12-02-07 12:00

Look who turned up this morning to pick me up...

1 Attachment(s)
This trip wasn't all saltwater adventures. Glenn Jorgensen sought me out at the Wooden Boat festival and picked me up this morning at 7AM for a little side trip.

Glenn has had this C15A-based camping vehicle for over 20 years and built the body which he loosely based on a HUP. He's fitted a winch and 2-speed transfer case as well as a Perkins diesel mated to the Chevrolet gearbox which returns some 23 mpg. He's traveled widely across Australia working as a cabinet maker and plans to be in Tasmania for the next 12 or so months.

Glenn is one of several of the welcoming Tassie MV community I met over the past weekend.

Keith Webb 12-02-07 12:04

Here's another

1 Attachment(s)
This is David Lidster, who is restoring a CGT No8. The chassis is basically done and he's about to start on the body.

David drove her out so I could get some footage.