MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Gun Park (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   A little work on a 6 pounder (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23921)

Lew Skelton 08-06-15 10:53

A little work on a 6 pounder

1 Attachment(s)
Been doing a little bit of work on a 6 pounder, cheers to Rob for the tips!
Got a broken trail to repair and a stuck breech to free up. So far Iv'e been dousing the breech with peneterating oil for close to 2 weeks, made a press and gave it 12 ton from an old jack, no sign of movement. Will try again tomorrow using hardwood blocks as the pine just crumpled.

Lew Skelton 08-06-15 10:54

More photos

1 Attachment(s)
More photos

Lew Skelton 08-06-15 10:57

Another photo

1 Attachment(s)
And another one

Lew Skelton 08-06-15 11:01

And another

1 Attachment(s)
Last photo tonight, will try the breech again tomorrow. I posted a vid of me towing the gun down my drive on utube, called it "carrier and 6 pounder park up in the shed" also thought I should say its not my gun, just doing a little bit of work on it. Cheers

Wayne Henderson 08-06-15 11:09

6 pounder

Hi Lew, have done this job with a few 25pdr before.
Dumb question, no offence... you are pressing the breech block down not up?
I own a ruined breech and block that someone took a sledge hammer to. :doh:

rnixartillery 08-06-15 11:13

Lew,

Hardwood blocks or I use a selection of steel blocks for direct pressure, I doubt penetrating fluid will do anything on a block inside the ring from my experience's but you may need some heat and a bigger hydraulic jack.
Just double check for any spot welds ! you may need to shock it when its under pressure so buy a nice big copper lump hammer as this absorbs impact and does not bruise the steel component's.

Rob....................rnixartillery.

Lew Skelton 08-06-15 11:23

Cheers for the tips

Yep, going down with the breech. I think the pine was just soaking up the pressure, will block it up with metal blocks as I must have burnt my old hardwood blocks last winter (just checked the shed). Did you give the top of the press a knock with a hammer with pressure applied to shock it out Rob? Or on the breech block
Will go in search of an enerpac tomorrow.

rnixartillery 08-06-15 13:21

I basically kept clouting the side of the ring with a copper mel just to break the seal of rust and shite,the block pictured above took me 3 days to remove along with the Breech ring so its not a five minute job, you need to persevere with it and prevent damaging the component's .
It took 5 weeks to open the breech on one of my Pack Howitzers without damaging it ,a Ba*$~#d of a job but worth it in the end.

Rob.....................rnixartillery.

Harry Moon 09-06-15 16:05

Ed's Red

To break the rust use a quick concoction of Ed's Red, Its usually for smaller firearms. 50% acetone and 50% automatic transmission fluid. Really works!

Lew Skelton 17-06-15 08:34

Its out!

So I perserveered for a few days then left it with 30 ton over the weekend, didnt budge at all, took the barell and recuperator apart at the trunions, went off to another workshop close by and used there 100ton press, didnt take much to get it moving, needs a good clean up as theres lots of paint on it. What is the finish suppoed to be on the breech ring/ breech block etc?

charlie fitton 17-06-15 11:24

Sp what actually kept the breech block locked in place?

Lew Skelton 17-06-15 11:33

Time

I think very thick coat of paint, lots of thin rust internally and assembled with no lube many moons ago. Ill post some photos tomorrow but its all a bit messy, now the breech is out the barell can be cleaned up also. Its currently full of gravel and dry mud.

Lew Skelton 18-06-15 08:03

5 Attachment(s)
Couple of photos

One at a time

Other side of breech block, the face has a bit of pitting, not too bad I hope.

More pics, one at a time sorry.

Its poss too dark but theres a barrel full of shingle and mud

Lew Skelton 11-04-16 08:19

bit of an update

project has progressed slowly, found some time a couple of weeks ago ang got into cleaning up breech block. Sand blasted components and re assembled. Had a few stampings appear, barell dated 42 breech rimg post war. Now attempting to split the trail at the pivot point, is there a trick to this? not sure if bottom plate is wound in on a thread or will it all come apart once the big bronze bush is removed? I would love some pearls of wisdom.

took a few photos to show progress......

Lew Skelton 11-04-16 08:25

4 Attachment(s)
hopefully this works

another pic

another one

one at a time.......

Lew Skelton 11-04-16 08:29

3 Attachment(s)
more pics of the breech

few markings appeared once blasted

breech had a post war date

Lew Skelton 17-02-19 09:22

nothing like a bit of progress

4 Attachment(s)
I have been slowly chipping away at the 6 pounder. Since last post.....
had the broken leg welded, got the breech working, re assembled everything, fresh coat of paint.......

we have a firing mech and a few blanks, intend to have it checked over by someone who has a few more clues than me about Arty things and pop off a few loud booms this weekend.

Things still to do, sort allighnment out at the trail ends...... not quite right.

Lew Skelton 26-02-19 08:59

a bit of fun in the weekend

3 Attachment(s)
so, we had a blast, picture paints a thousand words.

Lynn Eades 26-02-19 10:28

Lookin' good, Lew. :salute:

Tony Smith 27-02-19 02:42

Action Man Vs Poor Wairarapa Farmers. :no4: :giveup