MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Steve Irwin dead (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6866)

Keith Webb 04-09-06 07:00

Steve Irwin dead

Those of you who've seen his tv programs on crocodiles or visited his Queensland complex will be as shocked as I was to learn of Steve's death today.

He was killed by a stingray. More details here.

Max Hedges 04-09-06 07:27

steve irwin

that's a bit of a shock to get that news. It makes you realise this can happen to anyone and there will be alot of upset children as they in particular idolised him.

Max

Lynn Eades 04-09-06 07:47

Steve Irwin

The world has lost a truly great man. I am saddened by his untimely death, and my heart goes out to his family. The Aussie flag should be at half mast for this Icon who has done so much to help people better understand the ways of nature.

Vets Dottir 04-09-06 08:03

I never heard of this man until you posted this, but after reading the news story it certainly seems he was very well known (world reknowned?) and loved by many. His photo shows him to be quite young and that this is a very untimely death, with little ones who will miss their Daddy so muich :( I was really moved by reading peoples comments at the bottom of the news story page.

Karmen.

cliff 04-09-06 10:54

The death of Steve Irwin aka "the crocodile hunter" at age 44 while filming stingrays in the far North of Queensland for his Daughters TV show has shocked a lot of people. Apparently he was struck by a stingrays poisoned barbs which punctured his heart. A rescue helicopter and paramedics were rushed out to an island near where his boat was but he was dead on their arrival.

some of the stingrays found in this place are up to and over 2metres (6 1/2 foot) across the wings.

Queensland & Australian wildlife have lost one of their best protectors and the country itself an 'Icon'!

Cliff

Tony Smith 04-09-06 11:57

Crikey!!

And it just goes to prove to all those scaredy Canadians and Englishmen that handling Australian Snakes and Spiders is perfectly safe, it's the sealife you should avoid!
(Well, actually Steve irwin's death is apparently only the 3rd recorded Stingray death in Australia.)

Steve Irwin has indeed done much to promote Australian wildlife to the world with his TV show selling worldwide, and his Australia Zoo has become the top rated single tourist destination in Queensland. While viewers of his show might imagine his enthusiastic antics a bit contrived, many commentators and friends have today said that's just him, exactly the same in front of the camera as he is behind the scenes, passionate about nature.

42mk1carrier 05-09-06 05:25

I watched his show here in the states, My heart goes out to his children and wife

chris vickery 05-09-06 15:28

Steve's show was widely watched here in Canada on Discovery Channel. Yes, he was indeed a great protector of nature as well as a teacher for many.
I'm sure it doesn't make it any easier on his family or his fans but at least he went out doing what he loved...

Alex van de Wetering 06-09-06 01:00

Yesterday I heard about Steve, in the Dutch news.

I guess his programs were exported to about every TV-network on the planet, including here in the Netherlands. I enjoyed his programs, which were a lot more interesting then the normal nature programs.

Alex

Ponysoldier 06-09-06 07:43

A loss

Ive enjoyed his program for a long time,he even filmed
one not to very far from were I am. As I understand
there has been an offer for a state funeral for him..
Your country has lost a great man..
Patrick

john hoffman 06-09-06 15:40

Steve Irwin

Hullo , I have always admired him for his conservationist efforts . I think more than his tussels with things in the wild , he was adamant about the wild things habitat .

Cheers , Johnnie .